Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

boost spike at 25

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost spike at 25

on my boost guages my boost spikes at 25 and drops to 20 i thought the guages only read 1 or 2 psi high and my car is stock except fuel pump,mbc install tomarow so whats up just reading high or what thanks for input
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gauge could be way off, but that's a bad sign that it says you're hitting 25psi. Be sure to set the MBC down at 21psi, then get on a dyno that can log boost to see where it really is using a MAP sensor.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Turn it down ASAP if you're not tuned.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

tomarow when i install my mbc what do i use to cap off the hoses that needed to be capped and when i dial in boost i let the boost guage read 23psi which is realy 21 because it reads 1-2psi high correct
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Good god...wtf.

You use caps to cap off the lines....

Uh no, why do you assume the gauge is 1-2psi high??? Do people really have enough smarts to have the money to buy Evos but not have the common sense not to PURPOSELY set their boost that high on 91oct? I mean come on...it just kills me how people have no common sense.

No one knows if your gauge reads high - did you think EVERY boost gauge reads high???? Some do, some don't, some read low, sheesh. You have to get your boost logged by a MAP sensor (most dynos can do this) to verify your exact boost and then compare it with what your gauge says. Setting your boost at 23psi on 91oct based on the random assumption that your gauge reads high is an abomination of the automotive industry. *sigh*
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i just got tuned by Turbo Trix today, I Used to spike 24.7 psI according to my greddy profec b-spec 2. Now it says I have spike 24.9 but they tuned it using their own meter, which they say they know is accurate. No IC pipes blew off and the turbo isn't whining and the motor hasn't blown so i guess they are right. but when i drop on the gass the Stock boost meter goes as far as it can, soo I am gonna call them tomarrow and probaly grab a spare boost meter i have laying around and tripple check it. But these motors can take quite a bit of boost.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Good god...wtf.

You use caps to cap off the lines....

Uh no, why do you assume the gauge is 1-2psi high??? Do people really have enough smarts to have the money to buy Evos but not have the common sense not to PURPOSELY set their boost that high on 91oct? I mean come on...it just kills me how people have no common sense.

No one knows if your gauge reads high - did you think EVERY boost gauge reads high???? Some do, some don't, some read low, sheesh. You have to get your boost logged by a MAP sensor (most dynos can do this) to verify your exact boost and then compare it with what your gauge says. Setting your boost at 23psi on 91oct based on the random assumption that your gauge reads high is an abomination of the automotive industry. *sigh*

91 octane?? Hmm I though your supposed to put 93 in, ohh well i do.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

From what he says his car is stock, no mbc yet...
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
you are supposed to put in 93 but cali and a couple of other states only have access to 91
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
You didn't know that half the country (or more) only gets 91oct?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

^nope didn't know that, learn something new every day. We used to be able to get 94 here from sonoco, but they stopped selling it. Damn.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

ahh yes, the glory days of sunoco 94, it was the jersey evo VIII owner's answer to the more knock resistant heads of the IX's, more octane
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I wish we had better fuels here. Can't complain though because NY has 93 octane...

On the very cold days sometimes mine spikes too at 25psi but instantly. I manage to see the spike only after i press peak on my DEFI, so fast it spikes... Then it sits at ~21psi and after around 6K starts tappering down to almost 17psi at the rev limiter...

I don't know if that instant spike can hurt the engine. I alwayass run 93 octane and many times the fuel is Torco'ed, which is suppose to make the 93 octane around 96-97...

I am waiting the Klotz Hitrate concentrate next week, which is similar to the Torco one... The say that 1 gallon of Klotz mixed with 10 gallons of 91+ gives 103-104 octane rating. My mix usually is 14 gallons (full tank) of 93 (usually Sunoco or Shell V-power) with either a bottle of Torco or from next week 13 gallons of 93 with 1 gallon of Klotz Hitrate...

I am SURE that even the 25psi instant spike cannot hurt the engine if running at least 95 octane...

Ohhh, and on the logs that i ran my knock counts never passed 2 while overboosting and that's with just 93 octane. With the Torco i get 0 throughtout the Rev line...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What boost gauge brand are you running? autometer? You did install Fuel pump in your car which means it will run little bit richer now. You need MBC, set the boost AT 21! psi MAX! without tune. Thats 21PSI on 3RD gear PULL. You might see more PSI in 5th gear tho, btw if you buy MBC it should come with 2 caps, one you put on the Turbo, and second on the intake.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 03:03 AM

maybe ur BOV is leaking, r u using stock BOV?? my stock BOV was doing that too.