Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo trouble!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo trouble!!!!!!!!!!

i was crusing in my car around 20mph in 2nd gear when all of a sudden it just started missing like crazy.

i pulled into the parking lot and got out to pop the hood and it was shooting the white smoke out of the exhaust.

it was idling at around 950 like usual but it had a miss. if i gave it gas it would miss like crazy but still rev up. so i turned it off while it was pouring the smoke.

now when i try to start it . this one wire that goes into the top cover just starts glowing red. and it will only crank 3 times.

the wire wouldnt have anything to do with it smoking. so i think i have 2 problems.

anybody have any suggestions i should try??
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:33 PM

any mod to your car?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COuld be related - list history of the car (mods, repairs, etc)
Old Jan 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

maybe your starter?

ignition?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White Smoke? Smells like head gasket at first. But Since you are sooo sure the miss if from the lack of spark, I would swap the coils and wires and plugs and give it another shot. I have never in my 10 years of being in a shop heard of or seen a spark plug wire glow red. I don't think the coil can sustain the charge that long. It will peak the 20k volts and ween down to 12 volts but your spark plug woul have to be crushed of you have some sort of short betwin the coil output and ground. plus it won't be a strong current so i don't see how it would glow. Pretty much wires don't glow like ever. They just kinda snap. Only Tungsten and few other metals glow, but not current carrying wires. Plus the fuse should just blow and the insulation would fall off.

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Jan 12, 2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will have to be more specific. What wire "turned red" and what do you mean by "turned red"? Did it short out and melt? Was it a spark plug wire? Sounds like one or more of your plug wires melted and you may have suffered some damage to your ignition system. Heres what you should do to test your ignition:

1.) Find an old spark plug
2.) Systematically remove (one at a time) each plug from each cylinder and connect it to the old spark plug you've found, sit that plug on top of something metal (i.e. the valve cover) and have someone try to start the car. If you see it spark, you know you have ignition for that cylinder.

Good luck!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:18 PM

it has
HKS 272/272 cams
Carillo Rods
Wiseco Pistons
arc headstuds
Megan Racing 3" exhaust
shep racing t-case
tuned at slowboy

it wasnt the spark plug wire.

the wire on the right side of the engine that is bolted down. looks like a ground.

real small beside valve cover.

it was glowing red.

but i dont see where the smoke came from.

the car sat for about 4 days and there was some snow sitting around the MAF sensor. could that have caused it or what??

i have no clue what it could be. but nothing is working
Old Jan 12, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

follow the wire, and tells us where it leads too, or connects too.