Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help my car is ****ed up.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007 | 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
i did go to ams but they where being gay and wouldnt price match a clutch and said they would charge me 800 for install....i would of bought and done it there if they gave me the 425 install with purchase of clutch from us....im pissed at ams...theyused to be good but now they are just too cool for evo owner like me cuz they own the fastest evo and got their rep up....i dont know im just in a pissy mood because of my baby...
You get what you pay for, it is not like any reputable shop will play "Lets make a deal". How many evo jobs did the honda shop do? You would not get your prostate examined by a Pro-Bowler with fat thumbs would you?

It might end up costing you more, than if you took it to AMS in the first place! What you did not mention, (or I missed), is WHAT did you have the shop do?
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

nevermind. just re-red the post and see you did have the fw machined. definatly set up a appointment asap for them to fix whatever is wrong with it.

Last edited by evil mechanic; Jan 14, 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

i did go to ams but they where being gay and wouldnt price match a clutch and said they would charge me 800 for install....i would of bought and done it there if they gave me the 425 install with purchase of clutch from us....im pissed at ams...theyused to be good but now they are just too cool for evo owner like me cuz they own the fastest evo and got their rep up....i dont know im just in a pissy mood because of my baby...
And because you didn't want to spend the extra money your complaining about all these problems..

If you would of done it right in the 1st place you would be in this jam, And i had mine done at AMS and i know for a fact they dont charge $800, Dont quote me but i thought they charged 575 for install..

And honestly i have always had a great experience coming back from ams, all those guys there are awesome and have always taken care of me.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

nope it was 771 and some change + flywheel machining...btw the codes i got out of my obd reader are p0113, p0102, p2228, p0113 p/d,p0102 p/d, p2228 p/d...help me guys out i will check up on this while at work....so please help me out... here are the links to some video of the problem..sorry for no sound and bad quality in a rush...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60106878045750
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...16061634689267
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Our labor rates are $78/88. Evo IX 5 speed clutch jobs are 9 hours (+1 for proper ACD bleeding using our $5000 Mutt tool, which I doubt any other shop around here has meaning they can't properly do the job anyway). $792 for a customer supplied clutch.

Evo flywheels are flat and non-stepped. I doubt resurfacing will cause any problems unless they cut a major amount off. Are you sure they actually resurfaced it? I would lean more towards that being a problem, and not actually torqueing down the pressure plate bolts at an even amount. The flywheel could even be loose causing a misfire code. Who knows!

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Next time try to weigh your options a little better and look at the overall picture. Pay a little more for the clutch, save $375 in labor, and you might have came out better in the end, especially now considering your current situation.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I say they did alot of dammage in there, and the "wobbly" rotating surfaces are throwing codes. Time to break it down, and get it done right. If you want my opinion. I wouldn't DRIVE it though!
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Looks like you got what you paid for. If you can't get your code pulled tonight fire me a PM if you can make it out towards aurora and I can pull it for you.

Edit: looks like you already got the codes.

Last edited by Brian; Jan 14, 2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Here's the breakdown as best I can do (I'm a tech so I'm not too familiar with pricing):

$500 for the Exedy Stage 1 kit (includes an OEM T.O. Bearing)
$425 for install
$60 for flywheel machining
$36 for fluids

Comes out to about $1025 + tax.

How exactly did they sell you a clutch that retails for well over $500 and do a job that books for 9 hours for $775?
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

unplug your battery for like 30 seconds n the service engine soon light will be removed, untill w/e caused it reacurrs
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

The codes as far as I found looking real quick are mass air flow, IAT, and #2 cyl misfire. The MAS codes are probably from starting the car without the MAS plugged in and are just stored and not active. A reset will most likely get rid of those. The #2 cyl misfire code could definatly be a sign of some kind of problem though.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

This kid got an Evo against months of many on this site telling him not to. The second day he had it I saw him hot-rodding around my neighborhood. I actually ended up talking to the salesman that sold him the car while looking at a new Outlander, and which point I was told this kid is in service every other week and he was smoking the clutch from day one. That on top of the fact he already curbed two rims and needs a new clutch. (He actually had a thread where he wanted someone to trade him brand new BBS SE rims for his curbed ones and money, hilarious stuff.)

All of this, and the car doesnt even have 5000 miles on it. Another ringing endorsement for how much 17 year olds need an Evo...

Yea, get mad at AMS. Give me a break. They dont think they are "too cool" for you. They provide good work at a reasonable price. Grow up.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Another ringing endorsement for how much 17 year olds need an Evo...
Come on now, lets not stereotype the rest of the 17 yr olds that drive and pay for thier own evos. Not all of us are senseless.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yea now Mr. "too cool" AMS tech is helping you diagnose your car and they didn't even do the work. And after you badmouth them they are still helping you. Shows how "too cool" they are.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
Come on now, lets not stereotype the rest of the 17 yr olds that drive and pay for thier own evos. Not all of us are senseless.
True, but most of them are, which has been proven with wrecked threads and the general poor attitudes of the younger members towards given advice. Do youself a favor and go read some of this kids posts, or look at the things I listed. This is not a case of a responsible young adult, rather someone that needs to grow up alot. He did not pay for his car. On top of the fact when something happens, its never his fault. (read his thread about getting a ticket, priceless really)

Yes there are resposible 17 year olds. Unfortunately there are not many, which is why its easy to stereotype.
Old Jan 14, 2007 | 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prj.evo
You better change your avatar then!! unless you are on a public road with a radiator leak causing the smoke in that photo!

Quick Reply: help my car is ****ed up.....