Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motec Diff Controller???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motec Diff Controller???

Earlier today, I was flipping through an old Modified Magazine (October 2006), and I came across an item called the Motec Mitsubishi Diff Controler. It replaces the stock acd controller, and it allows us to adjust the torque split between the front and rear diffs. I haven't ever heard of this part nor anyone using it. Does anyone here have one? If so, is it a mod worth the investment?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

So from looking at all of these posts, I guess I might be the first one testing out this item? Haha bump..
Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure it works in conjuntion with the Motec EMS, which is used very sparingly in the Evo world. Though i do know of 1 person who has posted about their Motec install on this forum, so if you simply search for the word "motec" in thread titles, i'm sure his thread will come up.

I doubt he is the person to ask about the diff. controller, but if you can find out who his tuner is, you may get some useful info...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks I'll try that. I searched for diff contorller and other abbreviations for the product, but couldn't find anything. Well fro anyone that's interested, I have a link to Motec's catalogue with the part. Scroll down to page 20: http://motec.com.au/pdf/MoTeC_Catalog.pdf
Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

^Crazy interesting. Make sure to post up findings when it comes in. I want to know how/where this installed, and what the new setting are...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by KOEvo
I'm sure it works in conjuntion with the Motec EMS, which is used very sparingly in the USDM Evo world. Though i do know of 1 person who has posted about their Motec install on this forum, so if you simply search for the word "motec" in thread titles, i'm sure his thread will come up.

I doubt he is the person to ask about the diff. controller, but if you can find out who his tuner is, you may get some useful info...

There fixed that for you .

Anyway since the ACD doesn't actually do a torque split I am not sure how changing the software/hardware can make it do that....it may adjust the settings for how the center differential locks and unlocks ala the Ralliart custom tune.

Last edited by codgi; Jan 16, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:29 PM

Found on the Motec Product Catalogue for ease of reference:

Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So is this the torque split or the center diff lock %?

Or am I retarded and they're the same?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

well from what it says on motec's catalogue, I'm assuming everything is percent. It seems like a nice modification to have for optimal handling when at the track. i'll look around a bit and try and find whether any companies from japan or other places may be using this.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it worked as a standalone without their main ECU this would be very appealing
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Motec:
http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/28AUGUST2006.pdf

This device works as a replacement for the regular ACD controller (no EMS required). They seem to imply that it will be able to adjust the torque split between the front and rear differentials, but I think it just adjusts the rate at which the ACD locks. Anyone know anything more about this?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I talked to the Motec Rep. at the PRI show in Orlando nad I am almost 100% posative that you will need the Motec ECU in order to use it.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
I talked to the Motec Rep. at the PRI show in Orlando nad I am almost 100% posative that you will need the Motec ECU in order to use it.
Do you know if it splits torque? Or does it simple just change the rate at which the differential locks?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:09 PM

ive heard of more people using it in the Audi world, if you surf theirr forums ( www.vwvortex.com biggest one) im sure youll find out more how it works. Wether or not it works the same for us is beyond me.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The way I understand it. It has four settings where it changes the differential locks. Three of which can be selected from the existing A.C.D. controls on your dash.
I believe one can use the Traction Control Multiplexer (TCMUX) to help split torque. (Not, almost 100 % sure on that one.)