Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost controller

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, yes, then you can drop your time considerably once you learn to launch. If the SS didn't run better than 13.0, then you can beat him right now as the car stands with no mods.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow then that white ****box was moving lol

need to work on your driving first.. after you hit 1.7 1.8 then start modding...

the more power you have the harder it is to launch and control.. if you cant do it now you wont be able to do it later

cheers!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my best time was with the vette same 60' and ET 13.2
But the ss best time 12.6
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, you need driving and mods then. Get my stg1 package (or equivalent), then knock his socks off with low 12s.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

yes.. 1.8 1.7 60' should be accomplished for better ET's
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

You Should Do a Exhaust, Lower IC pipe, boost controler, Fuel pump, and tune. As your First mods.

What i have done Is
AMS Turboback
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Greddy Profec B-spec II 23 psi
And just to **** warrtalon off a an intake, K&N to be specific. It makes a cool wooshing sound by the way.

Ohh yeah I got a Tune from Turbo Trix also, check it out
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

K&N cone filter only I hope, and not the Typhoon, right? That wouldn't **** me off - it would just be a very poor decision.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Just a K&N, The only reason I put it in was to see if i was gonna have Idle problems and Stuff like you Said. Nope only difference is you can hear the Turbo more, and you can hear the recirculation from the dump of excess boost. I was gonna take it off but I left it, because The sound isn't annoying and It has no negative effects, also it has no positive effects. The reason it doesn't do what you said, Screw with the Air-flow to the MAF, is because our MAFs have a honeycomb screen, The same thing Most wind tunnels use to Directionalize air. So on a 03-06 Mitsubishi galant for instance, which has no honeycomb on the MAF, if you were to put an aircone on you would get some weird after effects, The air fuel ratio would be allover the place and performance would be near to none. Thats because the air going into the MAF is flowing Straight at it, some is spinning some is angled and some is just moving slower than other parts of the air. So the MAF can't get and accurate reading.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I've never said that an intake causes idle problems. I have a Buschur filter on mine even. The sound is annoying to me, and there could be negative effects that you don't see, such as sucking in hot air while driving with the hood down. Remember that you dyno stationary with the hood up, which is nothing like real driving conditions. I only have mine due to running lots of boost on a daily basis with all the bolt-ons. There was a concern that the stock airbox would be a restriction when nearing 400whp/400wtq. When I had your mods, I preferred the stock airbox.

You're wrong in saying that it doesn't screw with the MAF. Where are you getting these ideas? The filter itself allows much more air in and throws off the tune - that's the first thing, and is why it requires a retune. With the intake PIPE, which you didn't do, it throws off the MAF due to turbulent air. Two different things, both of which happen.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

A MAF works Kind of like a gate ticker at a football game, You walk through and it counts you. Same thing with air, it goes through and its counted, its temperature is measured also. The computer now knows how much fuel has to be put into the combustion chamber, I know it uses other sensors too but our concern right now is the MAF. And Air intake simply allows air in slightly faster, its like running through the gates instead of walking your still getting counted. So I don't see how you figure the motor would be bombarded with unmetered air, and even if the ECU delivers the Incorrect amount of fuel, it will just adjust the fuel trim to correct this. And The Hot air thin is corrected with the use of the Stock Air funnel thing, I just left it there, some hot air might get in but IDK. And I got tuned with the cone on.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

This is interesting. First, I've never heard anyone say anything in any automotive arena (professional shops included) that stated that an intake would cause more harm than good as a bolt on, given that the stock computer also adapts to a degree for changes in air intake.

In fact...Buschur and AMS both advised me to do the cone filter (as part of the stage 1 type setup.)

I ended up going w/ an open air KN filter (not an actual intake--just a cone). I'm going to have a heat shield fab'd from aluminum. I got the TBE from AMS, and a profec B spec II as well. However before I install the profec I'll be ordering a boost gauge and wideband to install at the same time. I currently have the AMS base-flash tune in the car already.

According to a few of the well known shops on this website--it's a good setup.

Just some more info for you. Take it w/ a grain of salt.

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Jan 16, 2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Where in the world are you coming up with this stuff? Are you saying that the last few years of us seeing intakes throw off the tune are completely false? Everyone and their mother knows you have to retune for an intake, because it causes erratic lean spots. I don't know how you went from complete noob asking me questions that are incredibly simple 2 days ago to now telling me that an intake has no effect on the MAF or the tune. That is simply unbelievable. Are you repeating what someone else told you or something?

MREvo, they're fine if you tune for them. We're talking about an intake without a tune.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

The Cone Thingy, that says K&N on it. Well heres the Whole story, you said they Screw up your car and kill HP. I Know about that Honeycomb mesh in front of the MAF, So thats the only reason i am arguing with you. So After the First encounter with you, I bought one and put it on with the other mods untuned. I had no problems, car went fine. I Just got tuned last week with the Air intake on the Car. Had no problems. I asked the Guy at turbo trix if i should put the stock intake box back on. He said No once we tune it, it will be fine. So now I have a Turbo trix tune with the K&N intake. Just Tell me how it throws the MAF off. Its not like air is getting around the MAF or something its going through it. Next stop is turbo where it gets choped up and Forced into the motor. So i realy wanna Know, IN DETAIL how the whole world in your motor practicaly ends when you put an aircone on.

Last edited by 3SgteGuru; Jan 16, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Where in the world are you coming up with this stuff? Are you saying that the last few years of us seeing intakes throw off the tune are completely false? Everyone and their mother knows you have to retune for an intake, because it causes erratic lean spots. I don't know how you went from complete noob asking me questions that are incredibly simple 2 days ago to now telling me that an intake has no effect on the MAF or the tune. That is simply unbelievable. Are you repeating what someone else told you or something?

MREvo, they're fine if you tune for them. We're talking about an intake without a tune.
Thanks for the reassurance in that last bit. Were you talking to me w/ that beginning paragraph? If so...then yes...I'm going off of what BR and AMS (amongst a couple of other shops on here) both told me after some long conversations about my goals with the car and it's current state (given that I've only got the AMS base flash).
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

So waht you are saying warr, is that if i get a intake i shouldn' put i on until i get a tune?