Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First 30 days with the Evo MR (former WRX, STi, GTI convert)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GunKata
I have found that if I really stomp on the car and go to like 4.5k on the tach, it shifts whereas the subies are pretty smooth no matter where you are shifting at.
I think your just used to the drop ratio of the STI's motor. It didn't take me more than 2 shifts to run my daily shifting butter smooth. Then again I have been driving stick for most of my young driving career so I guess it helps

Personally I found the pedal movement to be the biggest factor in the smoothness of my shifting. Perhaps that adjustment will do wonders for you If it shifts hard you may look into the upgraded transmission fluids both STI's and Evo's benefit from them.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that this car...evo ix..is the easiest 5-speed ive ever driven..
Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

What exactly do you mean when you say "I cant drive it as fast/easily as the STi"?

Evo's are supposed to be one of the easiest cars to throw around, with much less understeer than STi's. Just sorta confused how you've come to that conclusion.

Also I would love to know how you compare the AWD systems. Unless you've already spent hours flying around a track, or offroad course, I highly doubt your street driving is giving valid indicators of AWD system performance. :\
Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
Fomer Vendor

GunKata, about the clutch, I thought the same about my 8, really hard to get used to. I did the SS clutch line and removed the restrictor "pill" and it made it a new car. If the 9's have that "pill" too (which I assume they do), I would say try taking that out (but you probably don't want to mess with that considering its brand new). But trust me when I say its a world of difference.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The clutch engagement point is a little high, but not as high as my friend's S2000! My Nissan's was just off the floor, so it took a little bit of adjusting to get use to the engagement point of the Evo, but no biggy.

The AWD of the STI has up to a 35/65 front/rear torque split which is different than the Evo. Should give it a bit more of a RWD feel on corner exit.

I personally think the 5-speed of the Evo sucks ***** as far as feel/engagement goes. Honda seems to make the best trannies in that regard. I don't like the feel of the 350Z 6-speed either. Well, the Evo 5-speed does shift much better when you're in full attack mode and keeping up above 4k rpms. For some reason, it just doesn't like to shift quickly in 'putting around in traffic' mode.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

GunKata...I 'member you from imprezawrxsti.com/iwsti.com. Welcome!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ That guy has been watching too much Fast and Furious.... double clutch, pffffttt!
Riiiight. Double clutching leaves you more in control of the car with less jerky motion of just putting the car in a lower gear and waiting for the synchros to do work. Double clutching allows you to quickly and smoothly match engine and tranny speeds for high performance driving.

I havent even seen that movie, but why did you feel it necessary to make that comment?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
Riiiight. Double clutching leaves you more in control of the car with less jerky motion of just putting the car in a lower gear and waiting for the synchros to do work. Double clutching allows you to quickly and smoothly match engine and tranny speeds for high performance driving.

I havent even seen that movie, but why did you feel it necessary to make that comment?
WHAT?!

You're confused and extremely sheltered.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
Double clutching leaves you more in control of the car with less jerky motion of just putting the car in a lower gear and waiting for the synchros to do work.
Double clutching is unnecessary and waste of time/effort with a synchronized transmission. All that's necessary is rev matching. Clutch in, blip throttle and downshift, clutch out.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:55 PM

Slowride, well hello! havent been on that site in a while.

For the gusy with the additional clutch comments - thanks, I am going to have to do something.

dreamlike1 - I already stated that the handling was better, but like I also said, the grip of the car just didnt feel the same - which could be the tires, and yes, you're right, I havent tracked it yet. haha, I'll take back the AWD comment! As for the going as fast/easily compared to the STI, well, the clutch obviously affects that process, so that is why I am saying its not as easy. Once I get that taken care of, we'll see where things are at.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Well, the Evo 5-speed does shift much better when you're in full attack mode and keeping up above 4k rpms. For some reason, it just doesn't like to shift quickly in 'putting around in traffic' mode.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about the MR 6spd.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
Well, the Evo 5-speed does shift much better when you're in full attack mode and keeping up above 4k rpms. For some reason, it just doesn't like to shift quickly in 'putting around in traffic' mode.

WOW this is a great observation!!! This is true with the 6 speed but not as bad.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

What doe you guys mean by hi clutch engagement point?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Profoxcg
What doe you guys mean by hi clutch engagement point?
The point of which the clutch begins to partially engage the flywheel.

I suppose you could measure the point of engagement in degrees but its all feel and thus just personal preference as to where you put the engagement point by adjusting the clutch.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
The point of which the clutch begins to partially engage the flywheel.

I suppose you could measure the point of engagement in degrees but its all feel and thus just personal preference as to where you put the engagement point by adjusting the clutch.

so can i adjust the pedal to that the clutch disengages when i push the cluth in halfway rather than all the way in?

Quick Reply: First 30 days with the Evo MR (former WRX, STi, GTI convert)