Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a comon problem on cars with a stock ic and piping???
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by groove304
Is this a comon problem on cars with a stock ic and piping???
Seems pretty common once you start raising the boost.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:56 PM

happend to me about a month ago, just had my ecu flashed and it fixed the fuel and boost problems i was having, did 2 4th gear pulls on the freeway to datalog and see if everything was good to go. when i was getting back on the freeway to go back home, i here the BANG(which has happend to me more times then i can count, and yes i have t-bolts on there), so i pull off to fix it and find out i didnt blow it off, the pressure blew a hole in the side of the silicone coupler. well fixed that the next day with a beefy silicone coupler. done.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by carmaevo8
happend to me about a month ago, just had my ecu flashed and it fixed the fuel and boost problems i was having, did 2 4th gear pulls on the freeway to datalog and see if everything was good to go. when i was getting back on the freeway to go back home, i here the BANG(which has happend to me more times then i can count, and yes i have t-bolts on there), so i pull off to fix it and find out i didnt blow it off, the pressure blew a hole in the side of the silicone coupler. well fixed that the next day with a beefy silicone coupler. done.

How much boost were you running? I had a freind that did the same thing but it was at 30psi. The whole was the size of a nickel.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:04 PM

was at 24-25psi and the hole was the size of my fist.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If this happens and you are forced to limp the car somewhere with the i/c pipe still off I would recommend pulling your plugs, especially if running coppers. This is a quick way to foul your plugs.

edit: ovenmit331, that was definitely Hell day I'll never forget the rock I had to jack from that huge planter to use as a tire chuck.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Jan 24, 2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
If this happens and you are forced to limp the car somewhere with the i/c pipe still off I would recommend pulling your plugs, especially if running coppers. This is a quick way to foul your plugs.
Good point. I should check them.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

right out of my driveway... guess i was lucky
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
First time it happened I had no tools in the car at all. Luckily I was only a couple miles from my GF's dads and she was there. I called her. Dad and her to the rescue laughing at me in her stock RS saying see I told you to leave it stock. I carry a bunch of tools now
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Had the Tb one pop off on me, Sucked because i was on my way to work and had no tools, So someone i work with picked me up while i left the car on the side of the road..

Called up my Boy hector(Loco4) and he picked me up from work and bought me a T-Bolt clamp since the factory one was gone..

Im going to be doing my LICP soon and god i hope i dont have that problem of it blowing off, I already got T-bolt clamps and some Hair spray
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:19 PM

on my 8..it was still the stock upper pipe that blew off the clamps...my father in law was driving it becuz the 8 was in the way an i didnt feel like moving it...well it blew off he had it towed an then when i popped the hood there it was...man that was 100 dollars spent on a tow truck
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Trying to convince my brother to buy an evo over a maxima that he was looking at. So, we go out for a ride and he's loving it, literally amazed by the acceleration. Im telling him how stout the motor is, and how its built to handle BOOOOOOM! Before i could even say boost, the damn intercooler pipe blows directly off (the joint near the battery)

Easy fix, but made me look retarded. It actually ended with him getting the maxima and i know it was largely in part to that incident. Oh well....
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:27 PM
Account Disabled

I haven't blown one on the evo yet, but my eclipse has, a bunch of times.

The most embarassing was probably at the track raising the boost on race gas. Half way through second at the 330' mark at about 28psi BOOM! and the car shut off, right in front of the stands. I could barley limp it down the track at 20mph or so. On the turnaround the car shut off and would not refire so I coasted to the time booth. Ground the starter to pull it off the return road in front of a truck full of hicks pointing and laughing at me for blowing up my motor (they saw the whole thing). Got the pipe on, started the motor, did a visual and gave them the finger. Then I did a burnout in their face and drove off.

****ing *******s.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
+1 my car wouldn't even start after reconnecting the IC pipe because my plugs were fouled so badly just after pulling the car onto the trailer.. Swapped them out and fired right up..
Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had upper pipe blow off on my 1st gen eclipse so hard it dented the hood outward and cracked the paint so bad chips were flaking off around the impact spot.

Quick Reply: Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!