Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007 | 09:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Evilution VIII
Had upper pipe blow off on my 1st gen eclipse so hard it dented the hood outward and cracked the paint so bad chips were flaking off around the impact spot.
Le Holy Crap!!!
Old Jan 24, 2007 | 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

i was driving through the wilson tunnel here on oahu going about 50ish, i hear the pop and the car has no power at this point it is just coasting it is 7am traffic is getting heavy, i coast out of the tunnel at maybe 20mph by the time im at the end, i get of to the tiny *** shoulder, have to get out, it blew the one off the turbo, clamp was gone, i had a spare but no tools bent the crap out of a house key rigging it on there to get to somewhere i could actually fix it. there were cars flying by i was afraid of my car getting rear ended with me under it the whole time
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 07:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Never had a problem with the lower thank god, but i did have the upper blow off and i didnt know what it was! I thought i blew my motor! I think that 26psi has something to do with it, so i intend to get some better pipping. I think burscher is what i am going to go with! You now comming from a subaru where it never happend, it definetly freaked me out the first time it happened!
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evilution VIII
Had upper pipe blow off on my 1st gen eclipse so hard it dented the hood outward and cracked the paint so bad chips were flaking off around the impact spot.
Blow off, or blow up!
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm..which time

Worst I would have to say would be the night me and my buddy drove from Cranston, RI, to Logan Airport in Boston, to pick up my girl at the time (mind you her flight was not getting in til about 11:30pm.

We had the car out the whole day, and night, not a single issue. We take the hike up there, still no problems. We get there, pick up my girl, and start heading back. About half way home on the highway, just cruising in 5th, no boost, we are all tired, its kind of cold, and me and her were on the verge of pi$$ing our pants, when all of a sudden..oh ya..POP! Right near the Mass/RI border, at this point, its about midnight.

So I limp the car to the nearest exit (exit 1 going 95 south), and here comes the ironic part, as I limp around the bend, whats the first thing I see, a Mitsu dealership . So we pull it into an empty lot, I get out, and sure enough, one of the bottom couplers of course. Oh ya, did I mention I actually did not have any tools on me that night? Thinking, "great..just great.", I call a buddy to come bail me out. After getting, I'm on my way, he finally shows up about 1:15am. Now at this point, me and my girl are in agony, and my boy is passed out in the passengers seat..lol

At that point, I didn't really care, so I have my buddy brings my girl and me to a hotel to use the bathroom, and just leave the car there, with my buddy passed out...I was nice enough to at least put the alarm on though .

Well, we get back, fix the car, and continue on home..at that point, I think we got in at about 2:30 maybe?

Granted it could have been worse, but to me, and everyone else, it was pretty crappy.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 08:16 AM

I was down in Seattle on I5, i was in the far right lane passing some people when the Pipe came off. The sucky thing is that the clamp came completly off and was lying somewhere in the middle of the freeway. I had no tools, and of course no extra clamp. I had to take a peice of wire from my sub box to tie it back on to the fitting, just so i could baby the car back off of the freeway, oh and there was no shoulder on the section of road that i was on.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:18 AM
Account Disabled

^Which time to choose is right. ******* pipe seems to know the worst time for it to blow off is. I was fooling around with a porsche(not racing) at ~2am coming home. We got on it again then all of a sudden boom no power, **** blew my throttle body coupler again...but wait I just put t-bolt clamps on it few days ago. limp it to the shoulder pop hood, confirm it was throttle body and t-bolt clamp is still there, whew..........oh fuc* the tools I have are for all my old IC worm clamp, no pliers or nothing. I ended up having to drive along the shoulder for a good 4 miles to the nearest exit. Of course its in a tough neighborhood. I had people looking at me like I thought it was white boy day. Couple guys came to see whats up and they ended up helping me and got me some pliers. After I tightened it as well I could I thanked em and headed out. about 1/2 mile down the road it blew off again. I pulled into an alley and rigged it as well I could. It ended up holding for the 10 mi. drive home down the sidestreets.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 09:25 AM

mine was the first time i had the car on a track. We did the warmup lap and were beginning the first lap. I hit about 110 down the front stretch and take the first turn. In third hit it again and about to shift when bam. . . No power, car shuts off and im like wtf did i just break. Took me about 20 mins to find it cause the tb hose kinda wedge itself back on
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

This didn't happen in the Evo, but it happened with my brother's 180sx with SR20DET that he got from Japan to Canada. We did an intake setup on it and switched the stock hot pipe to the HKS alluminum hot pipe and the SSQV bov. So once done we went for a cruise and I decided to give her some so I stepped on it and after the boost built up I heard a *POP* and the car lost power and started to stall. We kinda freaked because I didn't have much experiance with turbo's then and didn't know what happened. So we limp to a gas station near by and I openned the hood and started to look around but at first didn't notice that the hotpipe came of because it kinda popped back on. Didn't see anything wrong visually so I was about to call my buddy who works for a tow company to get the car towed but then noticed that the hot pipe was loose. Damn we were so releaved then I borrowed a screw driver from some guy at the gas station and fix the issue . But yeah that was my first time. Btw my brother's 180 is pushing 13-14psi, stock about 8psi.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Ive personally never had it happened to me thank god. But my friend had it happen to him, a few times.. But the worst one for him was.. He was driving, then all of a sudden boom, it popped off.. By this time he knew it was the pipe because it happened before.. Well the pipe not only poped off, but it hit the Radiator fan, and that caused the Radiator fan to break apart and go into the Radiator, causing no goodness..
Basically had to get a new radiator, fan, and other stuff.

Oh and he tried to take it to Mitsu for them to warranty the damages.. They blamed it on his BOV.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 01:19 PM
Account Disabled

not in my evo but my friends, driving down the parkway, it blew off, we pulled over, it was dark as **** outside and couldn't see anything, i got under the car, ripped off the undertray, fixed the pipe and got back in car, started getting real itchy, by morning i had poison ivy all over, it was terrible...
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

I havent had a ic pipe blow off, but I had my DV pop off the day after i bought my car....... Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me. Thought I bought a lemon and already blew it up.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolution[OH]
I know how scary "those areas" can be. How does US government allow those areas to be around anyways?
...those areas are around for a reason, government are fully aware of them...designed them too
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Only happened to me once. I toed into the boost and maybe was at about 3 psi when it blew off. Annoying as hell, but it was the hose that runs by the battery so quite an easy fix.
Old Jan 25, 2007 | 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Coming back from a funeral, had my cousins (it was their mother and my Aunt who passed away). Mood in the car was a little depressed as expected, when boom intercooler hose pops off and we can not find the clamp. So we were stranded for a while as I walked to the nearest Pep Boys and bought a clamp.

Quick Reply: Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!