Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!

Well here is mine, coming back from school it was 8:45pm, getting on the freeway, gave it some gas, and boom, heard it blow right off, so I coasted all way to the free way exit, and barely made it to an area where I could work on it.. I pop the hood look around, dont see anything, So I look around some more, and it is the worst place for it to blow off, right off the intercooler lucky for me I have tools in the back gotta, because I know how are haha. anyways takes me bout 10 min to get that bumper off and fit the problem, I was only worried bout getting jumped, I was in a very crappy area..
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I know how scary "those areas" can be. How does US government allow those areas to be around anyways?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Do you guys have an IX or a VIII?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

vIII here
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

i've got an VIII and it blew halfway through the 40 mile drive out to go rock climbing. in the middle of BFE and I've got no tools in the car because all the climbing gear was there instead. 4 people in the car, including one incredibly hot chick and i'm pissed because my car now seems like a piece of crap. called up everyone and the only one that could help was mitsuorder (THE freakin man btw). he'd just gotten done putting in a 7 or so hour day on cars and had JUST gotten home (which was at least 80 miles from where i was) but he came out right away and crawled up under the car with me on a dirt road and helped me get that beast back on... same pipe (passengers side of the intercooler behind the bumper... ahhh good times.

my recommendation... aquanet mega hold hairspray!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Stuck behind a semi for at least 2-3 miles until finally the opportunity to pass arrived, only to have the LICP blow off just as I overtook it. Needless to say it was pretty embarrassing and DANGEROUS having to slow down and pull over into GRAVEL, in front of a semi I had just passed

Oh what fun it was to put that thing back on laying in gravel
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Time for some T bolt clamps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Christmas night last year, well technically the 26th seeing as it was 2:xx in the morning.. Give it a little gas to speed up in 3rd gear and hear a loud boom.. I freaked out because at that time had never heard of the IC piping problem.. I pop the hood look around and don't notice anything but then again it was pitch black and all I had for light was my cell phone.. Call a buddy, he brings a trailer, we tow it to his house..

Next day I don't even look at the car because I'm so pissed, leave it on trailer and tow it straight to Dyno4mance.. Get there, pop the hood, and the IC pipe at the TB is just laying there.. I felt a huge sense of relief, but at the same time felt like a complete moron for going through all the trouble of hauling the car around on the trailer..

Last edited by mac_05evo; Jan 24, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yep...happened once to me. LICP it was. Tried to get to it at night in a bad location. Left it there overnight and tried again in the morning. Towed it to Dyno4mance and got new t-clamps on all. Hasn't happened since. I thought it was a major problem and was freakin out.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

I popped mine off the throttle body once. Took 45 seconds to tighten it back on (I had had it off, and apparently failed to tighten it all the way when replacing it). Lucky I still had my tools in the trunk though, I don't normally.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, I though my incident was bad..
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I must have a freak factory IC piping setup, because I have had my car to 27 psi on race gas with the stock clamps and never had one blow off.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor

That happened in my old eclipse. I was racing a Nissan somethingorother and at 30lbs of boost, it sounded like a shot gun blast. It came off right after the turbo. I had to get the crappy jack out just so I could squeeze under the car to put it back on. No tools of course, so I used an old dog tag I had to tighten the clamp enough to get it home.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Last week. Driving home from work and I make a right turn and BOOM! It pops off. Then magically, it starts POURING RAIN! I pull to the side and call a bunch of people up and got a hold of a friend. I then limped my car another block and turn into a residential street and parked my car. My friend came in the pouring rain, picked me up, drove me home to get my tools, and I went back to my car. It was pouring rain and it turns out my passenger side clamp off the intercooler blew off. Not really feeling like laying on the floor in the rain, I said "screw it" and called another friend and got a ride home. Right when i got home, it stops raining. I went back the next morning to fix it and went on my happy *** way to work. Funny thing was, that 30 min of rain that night was the ONLY night of rain during the whole week!!! Just my luck huh? Then 3 days later, I turn onto the same road and POOF!!!! I blew off ANOTHER IC pipe. This time, the one off my throttle body. Thinking to my self "you're kidding me right?!?" I limp over to the same spot I pulled over the other day and popped my hood. Luckily, there was no rain this time and it was just my throttle body one. So I put it back on and tighten it down and go on my way.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got t bolt clamps like a month after i got the car after hearing all the stories...

not that its a pain to put it back on.. if i was flooring it and that happened it'd crap myself thinking my cars broken... so just saving me from having a heart attack and to never worry about it is well worth it..

that should be every1's first mod

cheers!

Quick Reply: Post worst experience of your intercooler piping blowing off!!