Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cold Advans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advans get cold and stay cold. They freeze up easily so stay off of them belowe 4-50 degrees.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:51 AM
Pocket Mo

It's best to stay off summer tires like the stock Advans in cold climates until it warms up. The tires are like hockey pucks in temperatures lower than 40F so rather than ruining a perfectly good car, invest in some cheapo all-season tires until the warmer climate comes and you can really flog your car safely on the Advans or a comparable summer only tire set.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

ok i really want to know the way you guys drive your evo's?... yesterday it snowed a little in NYC and i didnt drive... i spoke to my friend later andtold him cause i read it was bad on advan's... he said just don't race the car... drive normal... and i did today.,.. i mean it's freezing out but the car drove fine... just stay the speed limit and it's ok... i know not to drive the damn car in the snow.. but cold weather is ok...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by izabran
ok i really want to know the way you guys drive your evo's?... yesterday it snowed a little in NYC and i didnt drive... i spoke to my friend later andtold him cause i read it was bad on advan's... he said just don't race the car... drive normal... and i did today.,.. i mean it's freezing out but the car drove fine... just stay the speed limit and it's ok... i know not to drive the damn car in the snow.. but cold weather is ok...
What happens when you need to come to a sudden stop? You may know how to drive in the snow and freezing temperatures, unfortunately there are more that don't know how.

Endangering my life as well as my fiancee's along with my car is not worth saving money. Even when there's snow/ice on the road, the ABS kicks in and the car refuses to stop on the stock Advans a normal stop decelerating from 20mph; imagine if there's an accident in front that's not visible because of fog, you're driving slowly, all of a sudden you need to stop but your car just keeps on sliding.

Personally trying to save $500 is not worth the headache of an accident, dealing with an insurance company, being without my car for weeks, etc. I like having the piece of mind that no matter what the weather may be, I can drive my car without worrying about an item that accelerates, turns, and brakes my car; the tires. All the power, suspension, and brake mods in the world won't do much if the tires aren't up to the task.