Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Too much road noise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy a Lexus.

Interestingly, I have a Lexus (wife drives it) and an Evo, plus I had an IS300 before the Evo. The IS300 and GX470 are very smooth, comfortable, and quiet, but that's what I paid for when I bought them. When I bought my Evo, I paid for a badass supercar that has one purpose - to kick *** and take names everywhere it goes while still being able to carries groceries, 5 people if necessary, and my infant in the back seat. I have a full, catless TBE with lots of power mods, and I talk on my cell phone with no problem whatsoever. Sure, the car is loud, but it's not a problem. I willingly accept this, because that's why I have an Evo - to go fast and whoop ***, not to talk on my cell phone and cry about how loud it is.

Why did YOU get an Evo?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Buy a Lexus.

Interestingly, I have a Lexus (wife drives it) and an Evo, plus I had an IS300 before the Evo. The IS300 and GX470 are very smooth, comfortable, and quiet, but that's what I paid for when I bought them. When I bought my Evo, I paid for a badass supercar that has one purpose - to kick *** and take names everywhere it goes while still being able to carries groceries, 5 people if necessary, and my infant in the back seat. I have a full, catless TBE with lots of power mods, and I talk on my cell phone with no problem whatsoever. Sure, the car is loud, but it's not a problem. I willingly accept this, because that's why I have an Evo - to go fast and whoop ***, not to talk on my cell phone and cry about how loud it is.

Why did YOU get an Evo?
+1
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:08 AM

Yeah I notice it mostly on the freeway.. when im on the cell I can barely here the other person on the other end.. Kinda frusterating.. but I rode in my friends 8 and it was somewhat quieter.. so might be the tires your using but thats just a guess..
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could part of the problem be you guys are old and have bad hearing? just kidding. when you bought the evo and test drove it wasn't sound one of your concerns? when my dad was younger, on all of his cars he had sound deadening mats, etc.. put in all of his modded cars and he said he couldn't have been happier even with the added weights
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell people to talk louder.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I have absolutly no problem hearing anyone on my cell in my evo. I have BS REO50A PP tires that are nice and quiet. Even when i had the stock advans i had no problem either.Like Warr said i didnt buy an evo for the smooth quietness of the car. Even with my stereo on (not loud) i still have no problem hearing anyone on the other line.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Buy a better cell phone.

Buy a hands-free device.

Don't talk while driving (soon to be illegal w/o hands-free anyway).

Deal with it.

Buy sound deadening material (or as I refer to it, Maxi-Pads for cars).
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have no idea what you're talking about honestly, I thought my evo was really quiet when it was stock.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
Bro

Originally Posted by Motive
Your problem lies in the fact that the Lexus was engineered to be quiet. Someone told me Cadi used Lexus cabin noise levels as a goal. Trying to get the Evo even close to being as quiet as the ES will just leave you dissappointed. With that said, some well placed sound dampeding material will help, but dont expect miracles.
exactly what I was thinking, If you try to insulate you will probably not make it much quieter, it will just be a waste of time and money.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

go and buy a new phone

Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
and please dont be a jack *** and tell me to "go buy lexus"
Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

the Evo is much quieter than my previous integra gsr and mr2 turbo, with more performance...i aint complaining.

i can hear the phone perfectly fine even going 90mph
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

That sound insulation helped me a lot.......In my Z32. I put about 50 lbs of it, it was more than enough. Like somebody mentioned here don't go with dynomat. Good luck
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

i had a full catless turboback on my wrx w/ a header/uppipe and could talk on the phone easily.

a loud car is a good excuse to not talk on the phone.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dynamat and stereo system. or sell the car. a car will always make noise.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

you shouldn't bre talking on the phone while driving in the first place

not much you can do to quiet down the evo. like others mentioned about putting insulation...but you add weight. unless that isn't much of a concern, then dynamat the entire car or maybe try getting one of those chassis undercoat. that might work, but it would be messy.

Quick Reply: Too much road noise