Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Too much road noise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much road noise

I've made this thread in the past but didnt get much answers, just alot of bashing about how Evos are suposed to be loud cars and im a pansy.

Im guessing I didnt ask the question clear enough. I have a dead stock Evolution IX MR. When im talking on the phone in the car, the person on the other line has trouble hearing me sometimes, and i have trouble hearing them because the inside of the car gets too loud. In my brothers Lexus ES350, the person on the other line assumes im inside my house because they cant hear the car at all.

My question is would this be due to poor insulation of the car. If so, where should i turn to in order to fix the problem.

I am completly aware that the Mitsubishi Evolution and the Lexus ES are 2 completly different cars but i prefer the quietness of the car while driving to work.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

and please dont be a jack *** and tell me to "go buy lexus"
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

It is partly due to the level of insulation, but also the motor and tires make a huge difference. The stock Advans are extremely loud especially after they are worn out a bit. To quiet it down some, get some all-season tires and then go to a stereo shop to get some additional insulation installed. There is a nice shop on 59near Beechnut called Custon Car Stereo, they should be able to help.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo does have quite a bit of road noise, but I'm ok when I'm on the phone. Well thats just me.

After the Advans wore out, I replaced them Bridgestone RE960 A/S. The road noise was less and the ride comfort was actually improved as well. As far as sound dening, sorry I have no idea.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

i can barely hear people on the phone when im on the freeway.. but.. i didnt really get the evo for comfort.... the best way to do it would just be to add more insulation.. just dynamat the whole floor if you just dont like road noise.. ur car will be heavier by some but if ur not a track junkie then it shouldnt matter for daily driving .. you will be fine...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

what parts of the car should i put insulation in? the seems where the door and trunk is?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
I've made this thread in the past but didnt get much answers, just alot of bashing about how Evos are suposed to be loud cars and im a pansy.

Im guessing I didnt ask the question clear enough. I have a dead stock Evolution IX MR. When im talking on the phone in the car, the person on the other line has trouble hearing me sometimes, and i have trouble hearing them because the inside of the car gets too loud. In my brothers Lexus ES350, the person on the other line assumes im inside my house because they cant hear the car at all.

My question is would this be due to poor insulation of the car. If so, where should i turn to in order to fix the problem.

I am completly aware that the Mitsubishi Evolution and the Lexus ES are 2 completly different cars but i prefer the quietness of the car while driving to work.
Because the evo is like a bin liner not to much sound deadning materials..
Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I will tell you the real reason why you car is soooo loud. When Mitsu made the car they weren't thinkinga bout road noise, that factor just wasn't in the equation and if it was it didn't mean much to them. So your tires are big and block and make alot of noise, because when driving spirted they want the tires to stick. And also to save alot of weight on the Car, and money because the lancer doesn't have much noise dampening material either, they put hardly any material in the doors trunk floors and roof for noise dampening. So with a louder motor, louder tires, and less noise dampening materials means the interior sound level will be quite high. So you question is just stupid. ITs so obvious what you should do. Either yes sell your EVo and Buy something more fitting to your taste (you don't want to drive something you're not enjoying, especialy if you are paying soo much for it). Or weigh the car down with noise dampening materials, which I don't think will be a good idea.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:43 AM

Your problem lies in the fact that the Lexus was engineered to be quiet. Someone told me Cadi used Lexus cabin noise levels as a goal. Trying to get the Evo even close to being as quiet as the ES will just leave you dissappointed. With that said, some well placed sound dampeding material will help, but dont expect miracles.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:22 AM

right after i got my Evo, i went out and got a 30 gig mp3 player to use in it. what a waste of money. i dont even turn on the radio now.

to reduce road noise, your best bets to put in dynamat (id go with a different brand then dynamat though, much cheaper and better) are to pull out the interior and put it all on the floor, inside the doors and the trunk. it will probably add about 150lbs to the weight of the car.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

engine mods tend to make that noise go away....
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
i've bought two bluetooth speaker devices so far, they're useless with the noise around..
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

I dont talk on my friggin cell phone when I'm in my evo because I'm having too much fun driving my evo to be bothered with my cell phone.

My drive home is my break from EVERYTHING, I drive and have fun for that 45 minutes and nothing else matters.

Think about that.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

The cars are loud stock. You can try dynomat on all of the doors, floors, behind the rear seat and it should knock down a couple of DB's. Buy some new tires that are quiet the stock Advans are loud.

Good luck, no offense, but you may have bought the wrong car. If you think it is loud now put on a catback or full TBE you'll probably hate it.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
Good luck, no offense, but you may have bought the wrong car.
I agree. Take a look at his other threads to reinforce the point.

Quick Reply: Too much road noise