Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

replacing my hks exhuast because of turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing my hks exhuast because of turbo kit

Im planning on purchasing the AMS gt35rl turbo kit, and i want to make my exhaust a full 3" seeing how the hks one isnt what exhaust do you recomend, but the catch is i want an exhaust thats not too loud cuz of soo many cops here in SoCal
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
take a look at buschurs tbe

they have the option of a bullet muffler or the magnaflow (magnaflow being the more quiet of the two.)

hope that helps

it's definitely the best bang for the buck
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

just stick w/the AMS, doesnt the downpipe already come w/the kit anyways?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:01 PM
Account Disabled

Are you going to eliminate the stock catalytic converter for maximum power? That would be illegal in California, unless the stock catalytic is broken than you can replace it with a high-flow-cat with a metallic substrate. The ones with ceramic substrates are not as high-flowing compared to a metallic one.

The catch with the AMS downpipe that comes with the turbo kit is that you have to use their testpipe/high-flow-cat. On top of that you have to use their cat-back also. Nothing else will fit. You have to use their entire turbo back exhaust system.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=125

Before getting the turbo kit ask AMS if you can get the turbo kit without the downpipe, so can run your own turbo-back system that's quiet and legal. I'm not really sure about that idea though, because the o2 housing that comes with the kit might also be integrated to the rest of the exhaust system.

Last edited by Vigo; Jan 28, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the RRE "stealth exhaust". It is full 3" cat back and it's as quiet as stock and it is all black and looks like stock. They can even weld a 3 bolt flange on the end of it so that it bolts up to the AMS downpipe.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=27183.0
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:13 PM

I just put on the Buschur TBE with test pipe and bullet muffler and it is loud. My buddy could hear me get on it from way out of his neighborhood. If you want quite I would go with the magnaflow muffler and high flow cat. Just my .02... There are lots of other good exhaust as well. Do lots and homework and once you make a decision don't look back
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BretTheJet26
just stick w/the AMS, doesnt the downpipe already come w/the kit anyways?
yea but i have to sell my hks downpipe too!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vigo
Are you going to eliminate the stock catalytic converter for maximum power? That would be illegal in California, unless the stock catalytic is broken than you can replace it with a high-flow-cat with a metallic substrate. The ones with ceramic substrates are not as high-flowing compared to a metallic one.

The catch with the AMS downpipe that comes with turbo kit is that you have to use their testpipe/high-flow-cat. On top of that you have to use their cat-back also. Nothing else will fit. You have to use their entire turbo back exhaust system.

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=125

Before getting the turbo kit ask AMS if you can get the turbo kit without the downpipe, so can run your own turbo-back system that's quiet and legal. I'm not really sure about that idea though, because the o2 housing that comes with the kit might also be integrated to the rest of the exhaust system.
yea, exactly what i was thinking was asking them that, but hey does any1 know if the tanabe turboback is crazy loud?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

^ i've seen sound clips of the tanabe turbo back and imo its as loud as the greddy ti. well maybe a tad bit quieter than the greddy ti. if you are looking for something quiet...RRE has a stealth exhaust that's 3in with two resonators and a magnaflow muffler. on the socalevo boards...everyone is saying that its quiet as stock!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Your best option would be to just get an AMS exhaust. Get it with the resonated testpipe if your gonna run race gas. With a 35r I would imagine you will every now and again. It really shouldnt be TOO loud with a resonated testpipe.

Probly too much of a hassle getting the HKS TBE to bolt up.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:17 PM
Account Disabled

He can't run a test pipe, because he lives in California and it's really strict here. He also can't run an aftermarket high-flow-cat unless he breaks the stock one. If your exhaust is too loud you're cop bait and it's game over.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
He can't run a test pipe, because he lives in California and it's really strict here. He also can't run an aftermarket high-flow-cat unless he breaks the stock one. If your exhaust is too loud you're cop bait and it's game over.
RRE rally cat... or bust open the stock one, and weld the covering over the testpipe. There's a how-to somewhere about it.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by koolguy660
Im planning on purchasing the AMS gt35rl turbo kit, and i want to make my exhaust a full 3" seeing how the hks one isnt what exhaust do you recomend, but the catch is i want an exhaust thats not too loud cuz of soo many cops here in SoCal
Try going to Tuning Technologies. They could hook u up with a stock-sounding, full 3" TBE.

Thats where I got mine from
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:27 PM
Account Disabled

The Rally Cat is a good idea as long as it looks stock. Gutting the stock cat and modifying the piping and flanges to 3 inches will work also. If the cop can't tell the difference than it's all good, I guess, if you want to gamble. Another thing you need to do to not attract attention is to have a cat-back that's resonated, but the resonated part should be three inches also to have proper flow.

Last edited by Vigo; Jan 28, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:29 AM
Former Sponsor

The WORKS 3" modified stock catalytic is a great choice to stay emissions legal. I saw this piece in person and it is very nice indeed. This coupled with almost whatever catback should keep the noise down.

If AMS will not make you a DP to mate up with the stock or a 3" catalytic due to emissions I would say they are severely lacking. It is nice living in the midwest or a non-emissions state although respect must be placed to those that want to adhere to the law or want to care for nature.

On another side note the JunB.L exhaust is very nice, and deep. I have not heard another exhaust like it. The BR bullet is loud, as it is their "race" series. The HKS Ti is light, but even louder than the bullet. Neither exhaust I would recommend if you want to keep it quiet.

Quick Reply: replacing my hks exhuast because of turbo kit