Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What do I do with the Evo?
Keep it
20.93%
Send it back
79.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Rage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through the same thing, I feel your pain. Bought a used 2003 BMW 325i for my wife from a little dealer. Took it in for some stalling problems while cold and it turned out to be related to the computer and wiring harness. It was a $2200 repair but was covered under warranty. Car was out for like 3 weeks. and probably 2.5 weeks of that time was the dealer haggling with BMW trying to get a better deal on the repair. Honestly, I'd return it and get another EVO from a more reputable dealer. They probably wont let you return it, theres no law saying that they have to but if you were lied to and have it in writing, you could threaten with a lawsuit.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

What was the name of the dealer in Chicago?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I do not want to disclose the name of the dealer in Chicago just yet but it was not a mitsu dealer, I will say that. All discussions are documented and the printouts are on paper from my email.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Ok they called tech support and they suggested to change the fuel injectors- those should come in tommorrow and I HOPE that the car will be ready by Friday if the SES light doesn't come on. A bit of good news though, my personalized plate came in- and I can't wait to put it on and run!

PS the wife says to keep it!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
What dealership are you using in NC?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is one loving wife! that sucks don hugo. i was shafted by a dealer in sacramento, but i work on cars so i just said eh..... i hope things work out, i hate those side *** car lots with all the HI-PO cars there. they always LOOK good.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saev
If there is any written evidence of the guys you bought it from saying it was bone stock and, since it clearly isn't, I'd think you'd have a case against them.

Nope my evo was my first turbo car and I thought it was stock, because of the dealership telling me so and not knowing any better. It did have a warranty at that point though I have no idea how due to the mods. The dealer I bought it from fixed little problems for awhile such as the SES light ect. Then because of mis-management they lost their Mitsu license and just sell used cars now. So I had to take it to another dealer who said they were mod friendly and "understood" that I bought the car with all my mods and after I told them the whole list, and that it dident matter they would fix my gear grind under warranty. 1 hour later I get a call that the warranty IS expired and it will be $2200.00 to fix it. I called mitsu directly and theystated that the new dealership took tons of pics and flagged/cancled my warranty that day. Mitsu themselves said they dident care if I bought the car with the mods done to it so my whole power train warranty is voided. So I am SOL for now on. My only option was to take it up with the dealership, or sue. So my work against theirs.......... I signed the papers............ So I just use the world of knowledge on evom to find and fix my problems will never let anyone touch my car ever again, unless its a huge job and by a reputable vendor!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AfireINSIDE
Nope my evo was my first turbo car and I thought it was stock, because of the dealership telling me so and not knowing any better. It did have a warranty at that point though I have no idea how due to the mods. The dealer I bought it from fixed little problems for awhile such as the SES light ect. Then because of mis-management they lost their Mitsu license and just sell used cars now. So I had to take it to another dealer who said they were mod friendly and "understood" that I bought the car with all my mods and after I told them the whole list, and that it dident matter they would fix my gear grind under warranty. 1 hour later I get a call that the warranty IS expired and it will be $2200.00 to fix it. I called mitsu directly and theystated that the new dealership took tons of pics and flagged/cancled my warranty that day. Mitsu themselves said they dident care if I bought the car with the mods done to it so my whole power train warranty is voided. So I am SOL for now on. My only option was to take it up with the dealership, or sue. So my work against theirs.......... I signed the papers............ So I just use the world of knowledge on evom to find and fix my problems will never let anyone touch my car ever again, unless its a huge job and by a reputable vendor!
Holy crap....Bastards
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DonHugo
Ok they called tech support and they suggested to change the fuel injectors- those should come in tommorrow and I HOPE that the car will be ready by Friday if the SES light doesn't come on. A bit of good news though, my personalized plate came in- and I can't wait to put it on and run!

PS the wife says to keep it!
I subscribed to your thread, so keep us updated....good luck
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I voted to keep the car BTW....Agree with your wife.

At least that's what I did - kept it. Had some minor issues at first, but nothing big.

P.S I met STi dude yesterday at the gas station. He bought his in October from MA and was driving to OH when the motor blew , he end up paying $8000 for a new motor. Seller paid $5000 without any questions. So he had his car for 4 month now and drove it out yesterday (it was overheating BTW, that how we met at the station)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Illinois has certain laws which protect you, the consumer, from instances like this. My advise would be to get a hold of Krohn & Moss (link below) and have them review your case. Try and gather all the information you have regarding the purchase, warranty, and service needed. In the end you might get luck enough to be compensated for costs incurred to obtain this car. I would say get a hold of these guys and see what they have to say. I would definitely recommend returning the car to the dealer no matter what though.

http://www.krohnandmoss.com/fraud/index.htm
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it dosent work out dump the car and buy brand new! Thats what I wish I would have done!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I would send it back.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

If the compression is good and the dealership (mitsu) says that the stock turbo is fine and it doesn't look like it has been removed then keep it. Get it all fixed and squared away and enjoy it. Used cars always have some problem. That is why they got traded in the first place. There is story in here about a guy who bought a used Evo and it turned out to be FWD only. Just be happy that is not you.

BBY is an awesome color, too.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Most salesmen/dealers will lie/omit information to make a sale. I have virtually no faith in them to tell the truth. I completely sympathize with you. Truth be told, I would dissuade anyone from buying a used Evo unless you personally know for a fact that it is what it is claimed to be. As much as I love this car I would rather wait longer and buy a new one rather than save a few thousand and risk the headache. It's like Russian roulette sometimes.

Quick Reply: Rage