Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

300 ft lbs at the wheels dyno sheet posted 317 wheel hp

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2003, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by vlasnos

Nice bit of attitude Al, but of course that doesn't answer the question does it? Again if the 3-5 shift in the STI is similar in ratio to the 3-4 shift in the WRX, then where is the advantage in having only 5 gears?

You need to remember that 3rd 4th 5th are just numbers attached to the gear ratios. It's the gear ratios themselves that matter.

In theory a car might have a ten speed, you might use 1 3 5 and 7 at the 1/4 mile. You might use 2,3,4,5 and 6 at an autox. You might Use 2 4 7 and 10 on the road. The 10 speed would just give you options not available on the 6 or 5 speeds.

Of course I'm being faciteous, but the point is....you have not demonstrated any disadvantage in performance inherent in a 6 speed. Heck, I don't even think you can buy a 5 speed Evo anymore, anywhere outside of the US. I think the US Evo has a 5 speed for the sole purpose of saving money for Mitsubishi. There is no performance advantage in having only 5 gears.
Like I said before - i think I know a thing or two about the STI 6 speed - - http://www.scoobymile.com/slips/Allan_Friedman.jpg - doing 124 mph in the 1/4 with my suby - the 6 speed was a huge nandicap - - a 5 speed dog box would have brought me into the high 10's and almost 130 mph - - the 6 speed gears are too close together - nice for off road with a higher final drive ratio - but useless for the street - - also particularly useless for a engine that spools up as fast as the us sti
Old Jun 1, 2003, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by vlasnos

Nice bit of attitude Al, but of course that doesn't answer the question does it? Again if the 3-5 shift in the STI is similar in ratio to the 3-4 shift in the WRX, then where is the advantage in having only 5 gears?

In theory a car might have a ten speed, you might use 1 3 5 and 7 at the 1/4 mile. You might use 2,3,4,5 and 6 at an autox. You might Use 2 4 7 and 10 on the road. The 10 speed would just give you options not available on the 6 or 5 speeds.

Of course I'm being faciteous, but the point is....you have not demonstrated any disadvantage in performance inherent in a 6 speed. Heck, I don't even think you can buy a 5 speed Evo anymore, anywhere outside of the US.
I am beginning to think that if Al had a 10 speed bike he actually would row through the gears sequentially, and complain about how slow it is.
Anyway Al's own 1/4 mile times of 12.7 with 300 wheel (350+ flywheel?) horsepower have been easily equalled or surpassed by 6 speeds of similar power to weight ratio. The real concern is burning up your clutch or breaking your tranny since neither the Evo or STI tranny's are meant for drag racing to begin with.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by vegetta

I am beginning to think that if Al had a 10 speed bike he actually would row through the gears sequentially, and complain about how slow it is.
Anyway Al's own 1/4 mile times of 12.7 with 300 wheel (350+ flywheel?) horsepower have been easily equalled or surpassed by 6 speeds of similar power to weight ratio. The real concern is burning up your clutch or breaking your tranny since neither the Evo or STI tranny's are meant for drag racing to begin with.
You'll just have to get a STI 6 spd set up and try it yourself - then you will understand - - this is not like a viper 6 speed or a porsche 6 speed - its a rally off road 6 speed - try it and your get it
Old Jun 1, 2003, 02:50 PM

Fair enough. But probably you should try it too Al. And if you haven't driven the USDM ratios and engines then you haven't either.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by vegetta
Fair enough. But probably you should try it too Al. And if you haven't driven the USDM ratios and engines then you haven't either.
1 - 4 is exactly the same - - I plan on driving one some day - but i think it will be a while till you can get test rides in those sti's - i think they are going to be much more desireable and more of a collector type item than the evos
Old Jun 1, 2003, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - there is an interesting article in the Sunday NY Times auto section comparing the sti and the evo - and i agree 100% with everything the writer said
Old Jun 1, 2003, 06:43 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by nykwan

Listen.... truce time. I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you or the Neon SRT. I apologize. I have been looking at differences btwn the STi and Evo since I am still very undecided. Considering that they are supposed to be very close competitors, I was pointing out the price difference that I don't see mentioned much on either set of forums. And I just took your post to be one of those 'Why buy that $30k car, I could buy a used Civic for $5000 and use the extra $25k and smoke it".
Truce accepted. I too am a member of several different auto enthusiast forums and enjoy sorting the facts from the hype. I had placed orders for both the STi and EVO before either was available or had even been reviewed by the media. I ultimately got the EVO back in March because of uncertainties surrounding the delivery date for the STi and I got tired of waiting.

I find myself getting overly sensitive to all the comparisons focused on 1/4 mile performance and time slips. These cars are so much more than that. It's great to see the Auto-X results and to hear from people who have been able to get on a road course with the car.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either car.

BTW I'm 48.

Regards,