Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Returning a flashed ECU to Stock

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning a flashed ECU to Stock

If you were to have your EVO's ECU tuned, and you needed to take it to the dealership. Can the ECU be programmed back to the factory specifications without the dealer detecting that anything was done?

At the same time, would your original ECU's settings have to be saved specifically somewhere? I recall reading one IX's factory ECU could be programmed differently from another's. Would your original tuner save your factory setting when it is first changed, and could they save the tune that was reset?

Finally,
This may be unethical, but is it illegal? If you reprogram your cars computer in order to deceive the dealership, would you be committing fraud or any other type of criminal offense?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

If you buy a Tactrix cable you can just get your stock map off the ECU and save it.. Then once you edit it (or someone else) save it under a different name, and upload it to the ECU.. If for any reason you need to go back to the stock map-- plug in your cable and flash it back to the stock map you saved and put away
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's why we all use EcuFlash - so we can flash ourselves with multiple maps, including stock. If you don't have your stock ROM, then you don't have a way to do it.

Also, the dealership won't have a clue that your ECU is flashed.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 06RS

Finally,
This may be unethical, but is it illegal? If you reprogram your cars computer in order to deceive the dealership, would you be committing fraud or any other type of criminal offense?
Most likely in the worst case scenario, they'll just refuse to fix it and you'll lose your warranty. If you tell them that you've done nothing, and they'll find out that you indeed have, you'll just end up looking like a douche :P

Last edited by JayZeus; Jan 31, 2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling nazis
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Lose != Loose. I still haven't figured out why people always mix those two words up...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:30 PM

Maybe some of the people don't use english as their first language, and the mistake is not so obvious to us ?

Either way it's changed.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think each car has a different stock rom. I honestly don't know how true that is but I could be wrong. I'm sure if you find someone with the same year you can use their stock rom. Stock is stock.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Lose = that guy in the rear view mirror
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
I don't think each car has a different stock rom. I honestly don't know how true that is but I could be wrong. I'm sure if you find someone with the same year you can use their stock rom. Stock is stock.
Why say that just because you don't think there is such a thing? There are many different firmwares for even the same year. You cannot just take someone else's stock ROM from the same year and use it. One reason is the immobilizer code, but even if you know your own code and change it in someone else's ROM, it still may not be the same firmware.