Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why do you sell your EVO's?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got rid of my Evo VIII because I was out of full time work for over a year and the payments just became to much for me. Also I'm married and want kids soon so I'd rather put the money in the bank for the kiddies instead of paying an outrageous car payment every month. I had full coverage and my insurance was major cheap. I'm 28.

BUT!!!!!!!

I miss that damn car....so much fun

On the other hand I have fulltime work now and I AM looking for another vehicle so if anyone has a used Evo for sale under 20k PM me!!!!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burnmacs
I was looking at an M3, but I just couldn't pull the trigger when I could get this for 18k.

I would have pulled the trigger on a new Z06, had it been up to me, but the wife wanted to get something she could drive too. So, the M3, was the best choice, nice car, good ride, wifey i s happy, and tons of mods available.

Personally, I would have also like to keep the Evo, but the wifey just wasn't having it, since I had two other cars.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sold my 03 to upgrade to an 05...will never get rid of my evo!!! (until common sense tells me that driving this car strictly to and from work is overkill!)
Old Feb 1, 2007, 07:33 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akemi27
...will never get rid of my evo!!! (until common sense tells me that driving this car strictly to and from work is overkill!)
I bet you're having fun, nonetheless. That's what it's all about.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:30 PM

I was looking at an '03 PY M3 but when I sat down and looked at the final costs, it just wasnt worth it so I bought the pictured car for $18k w/50k miles. Original owner, no mods or paintwork, adult owned, which is rare with this car. The thing that had me really concerned was the depreciation with the new M3 coming out and how nice the new 335 is. I almost leased one as well. Plus after owning a '98 M3 and loving how perfect the car handled, the E46 made me a little sad thinking about what I thought it should have been.

I'm completely different about the S.O. though, I have to have a manual so my fiance won't drive it. She still bumps curbs and I couldn't imagine her doing that to one of my babies. I'd never consider a manu-matic with my future cars not because of some machismo, but because she cant drive stick so I know the car is safe

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I would have pulled the trigger on a new Z06, had it been up to me, but the wife wanted to get something she could drive too. So, the M3, was the best choice, nice car, good ride, wifey i s happy, and tons of mods available.

Personally, I would have also like to keep the Evo, but the wifey just wasn't having it, since I had two other cars.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed, the whole reason I was able to get this one was the new 335 coming out. The car, not the one picture, is loaded, with low miles. My wife isn't a bad driver either, she has done a couple track days in the Evo, but don't get me wrong, she doesn't set the world on fire.

The problem I had with the Evo was it was basically a 'track' car. The one time my wife had to drive it on the street (had to), she freaked because the car was stiff, and 'twitchy'. On the track, she said it was fine, but on rough streets in Charlotte, running -3.0 camber (like I said, track setup), the car hunt and pecked, and she hated that.

The M3 will never be a dedicated track machine, but it will see osme track duty. I am going to do c/o's and swaybars, as well as big brakes. I will leave the engine alone for now. When she decides to get something else, probably with baby 2 (another SUV), I will do more.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snowmants
Man....I pay $677 per month for my evo. And then my insurance is only $126 per month for top of the line coverage with progressive (perfect driving record...but I'm 23).
This doesnt seem like a high payment to me...maybe I'm missing something?
I only owe like $16k more on my 06 Evo 9.
man your wasting your money. 803 on JUST a car payment is way to much unless your making 100K+ (even then thats stupid to me). If you don't have enough saved to put down a decent down payment and lower your car note then I would say sell the car.

Are you living with your parents still or live alone? Own or rent out a house? Do you have savings?

If you live at home then you most definatly meed to step down until your ready to play with the big boys (I'm not yet and I make 60K plus)
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:12 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a matter of perspective. I pay about half compared to you. I own my own home, I have children who wish for nothing, and I make a pretty damn good living, as does my wife. Still, I debated for a while whether I should incur that kind of debt (I owe ~$18K on my IX). Hell, when I was 23 (like you) I had a $1000 car to get me to work/ school.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

let me just say this.... once you have the evo and drive it how it's supposed to be driven, gas mileage won't matter that much. especially when it's modded! if you want to save gas just stay out of boost. i spend about $40 a week on super (2.10 right now) and i def dont stay out of boost. i drive the car hard

now personally about why i would sell. maybe it's the RS and not a GSR/MR, but the evo just isn't too comfortable for me. i'll admit i'm being picky, but if i'm paying $500 a month on a car i want it to be comfortable and fast. the cost of owning one is also a big reason. monthly payment/ insurance/ maintanance. i'm lucky my mom pays my insurance. i've thought about selling it but i owe too much still. just pick up a civic and boost it or a 240 and boost it. be nice to have a car paid off right now. or i thought about picking up a e46 m3. bolt-ons and rims and call it a day. whatever you choose g/l
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

I had wanted an Evo since I read about in 2003 (when it won the Automobile of the Year award), but had a highly modified car that I didn't think I would ever get rid of (401whp, 380lb tq!) I eventually sold that and bought the Evo simply because it had AWD, 4 doors, HIDs, an awesome sound system (SSL), and leather seats.

There will always be an Evo in the garage!
Evolved Member

i want and evo IX.....for sale link below....VVV
Account Disabled

You asked if there was something that the evo doesnt do well that causes people to sell..... For me the thing the evo doesnt do well is get slideways. So Im highly considering selling it to get a single turbo FD RX-7, supra tt, or maybe a z06. That and Im kind of tired of all the negative attention that the evo gets.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:55 AM

Man....I pay $677 per month for my evo. And then my insurance is only $126 per month for top of the line coverage with progressive (perfect driving record...but I'm 23).
My car payment is $617 and my insurance is $160 with 2 speeding tickets on my record. I didn't think this was a high payment either! I mean, my S2000 was $490/mth and that was a 2002. So, my Evo is just around $130 more a month but my insurance stayed the same... Plus the Evo is SO much more fun than the S2000 and a lot more practical.

I'll be keeping my Evo for at least 2 years. Otherwise I'd be upside down in it if I traded it in. So far, the Evo is by far my favorite car out of every one I've bought... I usually traded in cars after 1 year... some after 3 months.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
Upgrade to a IX or a X? I'm thinking about trading mine in for IX MR. The reason is because I want the black chrome headlights with HID (I want the fog lights too) and the tail lights. I like IX front and 6spd. I know a lot of you will say 5spd is better, but it's personal preference. Added bonus is the bilstein. All of those that I just listed is worth over 4-5K if I were to purchase it individually so might as well trade it in for an MR.
yah well when your 6speed breaks, and you have to wait for 4 months because parts are on national back order like i did, you wont hum the same tune. I do love my TRE 6 speed but the gearing still sucks (stock gearing, not TRE's fault in any way, unless he changed it and didn't tell me). if this one ever breaks again im going 5speed now that i know better.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

well here are my 2 cents, if anybody was worried about gas mileage, its obvious you bought the wrong car. same goes for someone saying its not luxorious. this car is a true sport car, i understand if say you just got married, or you have a baby on the way, thats all good. but for someone just saying oh its time i get rid of it because of such and such, its plan ridiculous. i bought my car around the begining of 2005 and its already 2007 i plan on keeping this beast for a long time. and more then likely later on down the road this thing will be a real monster and this is the type of car i always wanted.