Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do?

Here's my dillema. I currently have 1800 to spend on anything I want. I am however, torn. I have the following mods listed below and a mail in flash. Here is my Question.

Do I get a set of 272/272 cams ( manufacturer yet to be determined ) and a updated flash + some simple body mods ( CF Front lip, CF vortex generator, and varis cf fender ducts ) or, since I am a more performance oriented individual do I blow all the money on a full stand alone ( most likely aem ) ems and come a little out of pocket for a custom tune. I do have plans to do a turbo kit and other more extensive perfomance mods later. So a stand alone is mostlikely in my future anyway.

Any thoughts,welcome
Old Feb 1, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need more supporting mods before you get the big turbo, so focus on those instead of a standalone. Obviously, you should get cams next hands down, then if you toss in an alky kit and custom retune, you'll be set. That would use up your $1800 if you have to pay for installs and would gain 50-60whp and 60-70wtq, plus you'll need both the cams and alky for the big turbo.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

da man speaks the truth.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

I respect what you say alot Warr, so Here is a second question for you ,is an alky set up always nesecary when running an upgraded turbo kit. My area of interest lies mostly in road race, time attack etc. I was seriously leaning towards the APEXi turbo kit ( I know what you are going to say, alot of our domestic companys have excellent turbo kits at far less cost. but I am seriously taken by what the APEXi kit has done on there own sponsored vehicle. ) Also I realize that supporting mods are going to be required, aswell as some modification to factory equipment. I am fully prepared to spend the money on the little stuff such as bigger injectors etc. But you are definetly right about the cams. They will give me some satisfaction for now and perpare me for the future.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well, basically, if you don't run alky, you'll have to run race gas. You won't be road racing on a turbo that big without something to make use of it. You can make an extra 100whp just by having the higher octane, so it would be foolish to go that big and not use it. Plus, you'll need a stroker motor to spool it, otherwise you'll have a drag setup on the road course.

I think it would be foolish to choose a turbo kit like that just because you like what that company has done with their one vehicle. Have you not noticed what cars have done on both the road course and drag strip with Buschur and AMS turbo setups?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, if you´re gonna stick with stock dispacement, then the IHI/APEXi turbo kit is going to be way laggy for your apllication. That turbo doesn´t begin to come into is own until above 5000 RPM(way late for powering out of the corners). Also that kit, which is no longer in production AFAIK, has a propensity to develop header cracks. Look into other turbo kit options other than that one and compare compressor maps, keeping in mind your intended application, before making your final decision.

The turbo on that kit is about as laggy as a 35R, while not having quite as much power potential up top, as the latter. There are tons of more suitable turbos for the 2.0L. in club racing: 50-Trim, Garrett 3076R/3037, 20G-LT, 3065 just to name a few.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Well I appriciate your input. I had not heard of the header cracking before, so you definetly make a good point. I wouldnt want to end up sol with a cracked header and no support, other than having it re welded ( and we all know how that can go ). I was also not aware of the spool up being that laggy on the APEXi kit, all the websites lead me to believe that it was only slightly above the stock range ( I guess thats how they move a product ).

So in yalls opinion for my goal of 400-450 WHP with a good amount of low end torque. and not wanting to increase the displacement, while still maintaining good spool up characteristics. What would be my best option for a turbo upgrade? Also is my whp goal do-able, provided all the other supporting mods are in place of course?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

20g-lt followed by a 50-trim. Both can do it, but the 20g will spool sooner and have more low-end torque. The 50-trim will have more top-end but cost more.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:44 AM

what size camms would u suggest i kinda have the same set up coming to me
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help again Warr, I think I will go with the 20g. The road course out here has more twistys than straights so I think spool and torque should be my focus I dont forsee hitting a very high top end.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
Thanks for the help again Warr, I think I will go with the 20g. The road course out here has more twistys than straights so I think spool and torque should be my focus I dont forsee hitting a very high top end.
What road course are you taking it to?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on getting it out there to cressen, the motorsport ranch. its less than 35 min from where I live.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh, that is a lot of fun, I go out there quite a bit....
Old Feb 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Ya, I havent ever gotten to run the course but I was out there for Don Herrings FP series unveil and track day but I never registered for the classes and track time, next time I am definetly getting in on it.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JMPZ
what size camms would u suggest i kinda have the same set up coming to me
Make your own thread.

Quick Reply: What to do?