Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Saw an STI yesterday, yuck!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2003, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Vanilla Sky

not to mention dirt, i believe the EVO and STi were both tested off road and the EVO still had the upper hand..

enough you goons.. this chatter was fun about 2-3 months ago but now we have all the info we need. both cars are top notch performers... bring your best driver
Come one Vanilla!.. you wouldn't have bought AN EVO if you thought anything of the STi...
Old May 28, 2003, 02:55 PM

Re: Saw an STI yesterday, yuck!

Originally posted by jsammari
Well after seeing an STI on the road yesterday I have decided on the EVO. I did not like the looks of the car at all. The STI pulled ahead of me and then I was directly in back of it. You think the EVO has a big wing, holy crap! the car looked like it had a picnic table sitting on it's back, very ugly. Anyway, I should have my silver EVO in a few weeks
You think your evo look like Ferreri? Come on, these cars are not really about looks

The only reason I will buy 1 over the other is because their capability, not looks.

-Bryan

Last edited by Diuney888; May 28, 2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old May 28, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

what???
Old May 28, 2003, 03:00 PM

Read an article on the STI vs the EVO. Low end has the EVO faster due mainly to 5 vs. 6 speed manual trans - EVO is still in second at 60 mph. High end has the STI pulling ahead due to the extra ponies. The EVO beat the STI with handling unless both went off road where the STI seemed to handle better. I've driven the EVO (unfortunately don't own one - single tear runs down cheek) and the WRX. In the EVO my thoughts were "OH MY GOD!!! THIS IS BETTER THAN SEX." My impression of the The WRX was "This car is kinda small."
Old May 28, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Wickeddeus
Hmmmm.....not on Willow Spring according to Sport Compact Cars. The STi beat the Evo, though they picked the Evo as their choice car.
Ok, I'll give it 1

no doubt it's famous.. but mitsu takes away the trophy's
Old May 28, 2003, 03:01 PM
pk!

Originally posted by CidE
Dry, Wet, Mud, Dirt, Gravel, evo will take the STI in any road race. Oh yea did i mention thats the sole purpose of these cars. So compare your little quater mile times, doesnt change the fact that the evo is just a better car.

right....

check your numbers again. Out on the street where I drive -the STi will win -60 -90 -whatever.

And better car ...time will tell that story. We had a 3000 vr4
biggest POS I've ever driven. The "active" spoiler stuck up after 2 months. Fixed it 3 months later same thing. WOW what a great car!
Old May 28, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

oh no, here we go again.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:06 PM

Both great cars. No doubt the Evo looks better but the STi will be quicker on the straights if that's important to you.

Here's my view:

Evo - nicer looking, better seats, radio included, option for a small wing (actually the small wing is standard), better overall handling, sunroof option if that's your bag.

STi - faster on the straights, great torque at all RPM's, side air bags, cruise control, hideous wing and front scoop!, more expensive than Evo by about $4k by the time you add a haf-way decent stereo.

All in all, we're lucky to have these great choices at these prices!
Old May 28, 2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by skibum
I think the STI was designed by a 2 year old with blue Play-Doh and a popsicle stick.
This is the best one of all.

[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm telling you guys!.. Get your EVO's now, cuz all the lamerz who didn't and waited it out to see the STI's are now sure they want EVO's and are gonna run to the dealers and all the deals will be gone!...

The only reason they are selling slow is cuz everyone was waiting to see the lame STI's
[/B][/QUOTE]

These two cars are very close to each other in performance and looks. Saying that one is crap and one is sweet is not logical. It reminds me of a Star Trek episode where Spock was trying to drive some replicants crazy. They both looked the same and he said to them "I love you{to replicant 1} but I hate you{to replicant 2}". Then the smoke started pouring out their ears.

I think both cars are awesome. Each have positive and negative factors when compared side by side. I wouldn't mind owning either of these gems. Thats my 2 cents.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:17 PM

MAN!

Why is it the most smack talkers don't have either car?

Side note.... .15 of a second is called "all about the driver". Not a butt whoopin by any means. (Reference to the SSC article comment)

These cars are about the DRIVER. Read that 30 times, let it sink in please. Some people act like they are wrinkle deficient on the brain.

I'm telling you now. The best performance upgrade any of you can get for your car are some professional driving lessons for the track.

Peace people.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ya know, if this rara crap about the EVO keeps going, Im almost going to have to get the STI. Why cant people understand both are great cars. And to call the STI ugly and the EVO awsome? Oh man........
Old May 28, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

I can't believe people are still wasting their time and bandwidth over this EVO vs STI battle. There are two things to keep in mind here that I think everyone is so busy banging on their chests that they've forgotten.

First off never forget that the EVO exists because there is an STI and the STI exists because there is an EVO. These cars came from WRC and SCCA Pro Rally as a halo car for their brand. If one goes away it lessens our chances that the other will survive. So buy what you want to buy. If you buy an EVO great, if you buy an STI better because the breed survives and there's one less car like mine out there.

The second thing to keep in mind is that no matter what you drive there will ALWAYS be someone or something faster than you! If it's that important to you to be faster or better than the STI or the EVO or EVERYTHING else in the world then spend your energy and money on a driving school or two. Learn how to BE fast instead of trying to build or buy fast.

In the mean time enjoy your car, whatever you choose. You burn your gas and I'll burn mine!
Old May 28, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by pk!

right....

check your numbers again. Out on the street where I drive -the STi will win -60 -90 -whatever.

And better car ...time will tell that story. We had a 3000 vr4
biggest POS I've ever driven. The "active" spoiler stuck up after 2 months. Fixed it 3 months later same thing. WOW what a great car!
Yes time will tell....
But the Sti's not a better car than the EVO, and for the VR4 being a big POS, well I had a 91 VR4 and it was the BEST car I ever owned.. I beat the living **** out of it and yes all it ever had was that stupid spoiler problem you were talking about.. Mechanically I beat it to **** boosted it up intake, exhaust, boost, ECU, BOV, clutch never died after 100's of sweet launches, and plus it had every toy know to man.. Active Aero, Active Exhaust, Adjustable suspension, All wheel Drive, All wheel steer, Climate Control display by ATARI!...
What a crock of **** your story of the VR4 being a POS is!!! That car was only guilty of undersized brakes that year which they corrected, and for being a little overweight.. but it would school many nice cars in the canyon with the SO2 pole positions..

Dude, you're stuck all over subaru... well drive an EVO and tell me the Sti is TURBINE smooth like the mitsu is!
Old May 28, 2003, 04:04 PM
pk!

Originally posted by brads

Yes time will tell....
But the Sti's not a better car than the EVO, and for the VR4 being a big POS, well I had a 91 VR4 and it was the BEST car I ever owned.. I beat the living **** out of it and yes all it ever had was that stupid spoiler problem you were talking about.. Mechanically I beat it to **** boosted it up intake, exhaust, boost, ECU, BOV, clutch never died after 100's of sweet launches, and plus it had every toy know to man.. Active Aero, Active Exhaust, Adjustable suspension, All wheel Drive, All wheel steer, Climate Control display by ATARI!...
What a crock of **** your story of the VR4 being a POS is!!! That car was only guilty of undersized brakes that year which they corrected, and for being a little overweight.. but it would school many nice cars in the canyon with the SO2 pole positions..

Dude, you're stuck all over subaru... well drive an EVO and tell me the Sti is TURBINE smooth like the mitsu is!

Guess you liked the big bloated mitsu-vette I didn't the 4ws was bizzare....nothing nothing -bam oversteer. oh and the active exhaust WTH. to each his own. It was very fast I'll give you that but thats about it.
Old May 28, 2003, 04:26 PM

I'm just trying to understand how some people make ANY decisions in life without the aid of a magazine journalist.

the best point of view that I have seen from a journalist so far is an AutoWeek article that stated... "Rallyists know that some cars excel on asphalt, others on gravel, some in mountains, others over the desert or through the woods. The trick here is to figure out which car fits the special stage you drive most often."

I can only imagine the confusion this statement caused some of you.

Quick Reply: Saw an STI yesterday, yuck!