Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wont start, -1 deg F today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Super cold start

Next time try holding the accelerator to the floor as you crank the engine if it won't start using the normal procedure.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it would stumble a few times when trying to start then it is getting fuel... just not enough fuel for the extreme cold. I'm not sure of most tunners mess with anthing in the stock setup for the cold start functions and things like that, so changes you made like cams and such that affect how the car runs may still have an adverse affect on cold start situations.

Keith
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Stock Evo VIII in NE Ohio with similar temps, and she fired right up. Might be the tune or the fuel lines which is more likely than not.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the whole peugeot wrc team had to leave monte carlo, when was too cold and they can't start they cars...
agressive set up,/way out from factory set up/ can make start the car harder,or almost impassible in very cold weather. Rich and too cold fuel mix,can make for the sparkplugs to impossible to ignite the fuel. Basicly chocke itself. Happened many times.
in canada and another northen places ,if they leave the car out side,/and i'm talking about not hooked up cars ,only factory/ they dont turn it off. or if they equiped with the radiator heater, they can plug in to the electric outlet.This way the heater in the radiator, keep the engine relative warm.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok the soulution i needed to get the car started was to use a heating pad ontop of the valve cover/intake mani for about 1/2 hr. I also poured some heet in the tank. But it was the hot pad that worked.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I was in NYC today and it was FREEZING out...I hopped in my car at 6am and I BARELY got the car started...I gently tapped the gas pedal and got it to fire up...

But I do have AEM EMS in the car so the start up calibrations are different then the factory ecu.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

^^ this morning was crazy, 8F outside and my stock DD GTI throw a CEL on me... guess its just too cold. (CEL Code indicate that its a misfire on cylinder 4)
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Zero degrees out this morning combined with AEM EMS, buschur mini battery, and "summer blend" E-85 = me having to get a jump start to get home from work today!

Keith
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:37 PM

Sucks for you guys, I think it was in the mid 60's this morning here in SoCal. I even went swimming in my pool this afternoon.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh, mine starts slow even with a new battery (-9) here today. 272's.

She stumbles and rumbles for about 30 seconds and then starts to smooth out while I warm it up for 5-10 minutes.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:40 PM

Car sat outside the firehouse for my 24 hour shift and it was down to -12. She started, but I did have to give it a little gas. She was pissed and did not want to move for 30 minutes. She no like-y the cold...
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

go drown yourself.........j/k....it's freezing in ny.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 07:00 PM

-12 wind chill today here in midwest...ridiculously cold...AEM EMS equipped is pretty hard to start...I do 2-3 attempts and play with the accelerator before i can get it running...midwest weather sucks
Old Feb 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

The flash point of gasoline is about -97F, meaning that it will still burn at 97 degrees below zero. Most labs won't even have the ability to chill a sample down that far to find out! Even the -97F mark is going to vary, based on the additives in the sample.

Of course, if there is any water mixed in with the fuel, it can still freeze at around 32F, but that may depend on if there are any alcohols mixed with the sample. Methyl alcohol is a common additive you can buy to help keep water in your gas tank from freezing at low temperatures.

Hope i could help you in the future. I'm parked till march, so i cant compare to what you are going through, even though here in PA the last couple nights we were having -20 on the wind chill and highs of only 1 deg. good luck man
Old Feb 5, 2007, 07:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I put a trickle charge on my battery tonight, I will see how it starts in the morning. I am having similar troubles, it just doesn't want to start very quickly.

Quick Reply: Car wont start, -1 deg F today