Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wont start, -1 deg F today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GraphanaticIXSE
Car sat outside the firehouse for my 24 hour shift and it was down to -12. She started, but I did have to give it a little gas. She was pissed and did not want to move for 30 minutes. She no like-y the cold...
Hey your a FT firefighter too, Do you eat a lot of crap from the other guys? I get the anti-union non american B.S. alot especially because of the wing........... I have actually lost quite a bit of respect from a few, some wont even talk to me anymore lol. Sorry to change the thread but I guess I posted it.....

*Update* This morning she started on her own with a little tap of the gas while cranking ran like poo for a min or so but all is well*
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I live in Chicago. Last Sunday I hardly got my car to start. The car is acting like a little b***h. I also made a big mistake and I am paying dearly for it. My clutch went out and I bought a very good clutch but the flywheel is to light and man do I have a hard time starting the car.

Mods: TBE, MBC, CAI, Twin Plate Clutch,272s' Cams and Dyno Flash.

The car sucks a** Once the car is warm and I drive it, the car dies at the light or even when I am taking a turn. This is so F***D up.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

My car started fine with the temps in the -10s. I had a full tank of gas with a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (HEET-type product). It doesn't really help you now that you got it started, but for future I would put a bottle in when you fill up.

OT: Wind chills were in the -30s!

I wouldn't worry about dilution of the Octane - your ECU can more than handle a small dose of this stuff.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Mine started right up, with only a minor whine in protest for ~15 seconds yesterday (-4 F). Stock though, so not really applicable to you. =)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scottro.
Sucks for you guys, I think it was in the mid 60's this morning here in SoCal. I even went swimming in my pool this afternoon.
ban
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Switching to 0W-30 motor oil also helps in the winter. The engine will crank easier and be better protected at start ups.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I've been surprised with my mini batter + AEM ems in the cold weather, every morning i go outside and expect the car not to start but sure enough she turns over every time. I must have gotten one of the stronger mini battery's or something.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Just think how well that super cooled air will increase power.

My intake temp was 17deg this morning after I'd warmed up the car and driven for 10 minutes.

Compare that to 120 in August and just think what the HP increase must be.

Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My cars starts but it takes a couple extra seconds..

Although when I try to remote start it when it is extremly cold it just hits the starter for half a second and then nothing....haha. Still trying to figure that one out.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by _007
Well I live in Chicago. Last Sunday I hardly got my car to start. The car is acting like a little b***h. I also made a big mistake and I am paying dearly for it. My clutch went out and I bought a very good clutch but the flywheel is to light and man do I have a hard time starting the car.

Mods: TBE, MBC, CAI, Twin Plate Clutch,272s' Cams and Dyno Flash.

The car sucks a** Once the car is warm and I drive it, the car dies at the light or even when I am taking a turn. This is so F***D up.
This does NOT sound like a problem with your flywheel. Sounds like a loose vaccuum line or something with a loss of vaccuum. What flywheel did you buy?

Also the trickle charger seems to have helped my car start up this morning. I think of it this way. If we have around 550cca (cold cranking amps) on the stock battery at 32F. Then we have probably have around 450cca at 0....maybe less. It is possible this may not be quite enough to turn the engine over fully the first couple of times.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
My cars starts but it takes a couple extra seconds..

Although when I try to remote start it when it is extremly cold it just hits the starter for half a second and then nothing....haha. Still trying to figure that one out.

haha... my remote start does the same thing. I didn't want to force it cause I wasn't sure if something might go bad because of it. But during the day it works ok... it's just when it sits out overnight.

I'm guessing the fuel line is frozen a bit.

Last edited by rsboy; Feb 6, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

check your spark plugs..trust me. Also get some starter fluid. My poor bike was freezing in CO for 3 months and the gas went soutt...Yes i used stablizer. Stater fluid always saves my ***.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

I was told by a mechanic many years ago that in extreme cold weather before you start your car to turn the headlights on for about 5 seconds and then start the car. He said that by doing this it stirs the electrodes in the battery and gives it maximum cranking power. I dont know how true it is but i,ve been doing it with every car i,ve owned before starting it in extremely cold weather and no problems starting. You dont leave the lights on, just turn them on for a couple of seconds,shut them off and start the car. I have the Buschur mini battery and i do it everyday i start the car in this cold spell we,re having here in upstate NY. Its been -10-15 degrees at night with the wind chill factor and the car starts right up with no problems at all. I dont know if the turning on of the lights is really doing anything special but like i said i,ve been doing it for years and so far so good.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danny23's Mechanic at parties
"So yeah there was this kid I once met, and guess what I told him? You'll never guess and he believed everyword... see I told him that if he turned on his lights it would stir up his batteries electrodes...

*waves arms in air dramatically*

...I'll put money on it that guy is still flashing his lights every morning thinking it's doing something good.

Hahahaha....

Then there was the one about the guy who I told that if your hand is bigger than your face it showed you have mental issues....."
Old Feb 6, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AfireINSIDE
I get the anti-union non american B.S. alot especially because of the wing
Basically American car companies have their hands in nearly everything except maybe BMW here's a few interesting facts.

Most productive plant in North America? Nissan

Japanese employs more than 300k Americans in plants,dealers, etc in 2001 just imagine the number now :P

A Toyota Corolla has more 75% or more domestic American parts in it, IE Made here in USA.

Some break downs on investments my American car companies:
* GM holds a 20% equity stake in Fuji Heavy Industries Limited;
* GM holds a 49% equity stake in Isuzu Motors Limited;
* Ford holds a 33.4% equity stake in Mazda Motor Corporation;
* DaimlerChrysler holds a 37% equity stake in Mitsubishi Motors Corporation;
* GM holds a 20% equity stake in Suzuki Motor Corporation.

Quick Reply: Car wont start, -1 deg F today