Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wont start, -1 deg F today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there has been alot of good advise in this column, and some general bs. But people what do you expect???

When you start "playing" with your stock car putting on aftermarket equipment, for more performance, or more power, or whatever....... there is a trade off or compromise elsewhere.

Cold weather, especially if you have a car subjected to the other heat extemes will show battery stress. I't hard enough to start a stock evo in this weather. Now add complications that many of you have created, and don't cry when your inconvienenced.

The 272 cams alone will impact your ability for a cold start, and allow for a very quick flood condition.

yank the plugs, add starter fluid, replace with new plugs and before you start cranking again hook your battery to a booster.

good luck.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mini Battery + EMS + Lumpy Revolver Cams = Starts on 3rd revolution every time. Was -5* this morning . . . no problem at all. Why?

#1 - New spark plugs - if your plugs are even a little fouled it will make your car hard to start. Especially running really rich mixtures on cold start. This will make the biggest difference. If your car cranks but won't fire, get some fresh plugs. . . .

#2 - New mini battery - after 2 years of abuse and being run down all the way a couple times it would never charge back up to 100%.

#3 - New starter - my starter was shot at 53K miles, partly due to a clutch issue.

This think cranks so fast now - something I haven't heard since I lost the stock ECU 2 years ago. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My car started cranking slow this fall as soon as it got cool.

I had the battery checked at Advance Auto, they have a fancy battery checking machine. The battery had to go through the long test before it finally flunked. A new battery makes it crank faster but not like it did before.

So I figure it is either the starter or maybe Mobil 1 has changed their formula again and now the oil is thicker when cold. My past experience with synthetic oil was that it allowed the engine to spin over at start like the hottest day in August.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
2.5 liter engine, 2006 Subaru TR, has our mini battery kit in it. Point is, even larger engine than EVO's. Has been down to -5F, starts no problem.

EVO's at the shop the last 2 weeks, been very cold, most of them equipped with the AEM EMS. As long as the cars are charged, they start no problem in this weather.

A car with a factory ECU should be able to start without any problems at all.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
2.5 liter engine, 2006 Subaru TR, has our mini battery kit in it. Point is, even larger engine than EVO's. Has been down to -5F, starts no problem.

EVO's at the shop the last 2 weeks, been very cold, most of them equipped with the AEM EMS. As long as the cars are charged, they start no problem in this weather.

A car with a factory ECU should be able to start without any problems at all.
Unless you can only get summer blend E-85

I am making my own mix of winter blend E-85 now and have had no more starting issues since then I am amazed at how well the mini battery works for the EVO, and now in the Subaru.

Keith
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

I couldn't get my car started this morning. Came back from work after and started after several trys. Now I have a Service Engine Soon Light. Why the light?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by AfireINSIDE
Hey your a FT firefighter too, Do you eat a lot of crap from the other guys? I get the anti-union non american B.S. alot especially because of the wing........... I have actually lost quite a bit of respect from a few, some wont even talk to me anymore lol. Sorry to change the thread but I guess I posted it.....

*Update* This morning she started on her own with a little tap of the gas while cranking ran like poo for a min or so but all is well*
The guys are pretty cool about it. I mean that is after they are done slanting their eyes at me and sticking out their front teeth like they're some type of retarded mix between races of an unknown origin. One of my buddies, in particular, gives me crap and puts rice in my bed and boots... at least until I took him for a drive and showed him what the car can do. He had to pay for the cleaning bill after he wet himself in my ride. You know firehouse humor... It's all good. Most of the guys are driving their ladies' vans around, so I'm convinced that they are just hating...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^Very true, at least I have one of the fossils who is a HUGE muscle car buff and actually knew what the EVO was when he saw it parked outside of station 1 for the first time. The other FF/Medic I work with all the time has a 04 civic with the stock spoiler they call him too fast and me too furious, and that he has spoiler envy...... Its pretty funny.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:27 PM

iv been there done that