Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my evo air intake

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my evo air intake

Ever since i installed the RMR cone filter on my evo, it seems that my car pulls much less than before and doesn't go anywhere, both in the low and high RPMS...I don't know what is wrong....pretrend that this was installed perfectly, could the filter rob me of power or could i lose boost? if not, what is wrong? I've searched but have decided to start a new dedicated thread, any response would be appreciated
Old May 28, 2003, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure you didn't disconnect the vacuum lines which the ECU uses to control the wastegate. They run down along the intake tube. If you did disconnect them, you will only see about 10 psi boost max.
Old May 28, 2003, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

im not sure about the Evo's, but with the lancers, u have to reset the ECU in order for it to adjust fuel control settings and such. maybe thats why?
Old May 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
Make sure you didn't disconnect the vacuum lines which the ECU uses to control the wastegate. They run down along the intake tube. If you did disconnect them, you will only see about 10 psi boost max.
maybe that's it but i seemed normal when i stuck my hand under the bracket for a feel...im getting my turbo timer w/ digital boost guage installed soon, that would be an effective way to see if i am running the right amount of boost correct?
Old May 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

i have an open intake from turbotrix here in NY/NJ, similar to the RMR and my car holds boost stronger and longer than stock. It's still cold in NYC area and the dense air could be why my car is flying. Maybe you're in a hot climate already so you're getting the warm air bog?? just some thoughts to throw your way
Old May 28, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

the car feels slow even at night when it is cool outside...
Old May 28, 2003, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

contact RMR tech, duh...
Old May 28, 2003, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by theheff
contact RMR tech, duh...
i didnt ask for stupid *** remarks....i want help from forum people k?
Old May 29, 2003, 01:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Besides the "duh," I don't think calling RMR is such a bad idea. In fact, you should have called them first IMO.
Old May 29, 2003, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

i unplugged the battery for about 5 minutes in order to reset the ecu...is that enough or should i do longer
Old May 29, 2003, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

a little off topic, but i know everyone is concerned about the engine bay temps from the air filter kits, but i have been doing some datalogging with the stock air box, and i should be getting my filter kit this week, so i will do some more datalogging and let everyone know if the temps are effected.

IMO...i really dont think the temps will be effected. our intercooler is extremely efficient. I have yet to see temps above 95F, that is including sitting in traffic and beating on it
Old May 29, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

no try unpluging for 30+ min
Old May 29, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Try installing the stock filter box and check all the vaccum lines. then give it a test drive. If your car still runs poorly then the problem may be something else. I have an RMR intake as well and have no problems in fact it seems to pull harder and sounds awesome, I especially like the "woooosh" sounds between shifts. It sounds as if the bov is venting to atmosphere.

my $.o2
ran
Old May 29, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I ordered an RMR intake tommorow. Although I know gains won't be outrageous, I am all giddy to install it. It should be pretty similar to installing the intake for the lancer, which was pretty simple. Any certain things I should keep an eye out for that could possibly be different such as vacuum hoses?!?!?
Plus I ordered the Lineage Grounding kit, just for kicks.
Old May 29, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Key points to keep in mind when installing the intake.

1. when removing the stock filter box from the MAF, there are 4 nuts that need to be loosened and removed. RMR recomends using an impact wrenchto remove the bolts. I don't own one so i used the traditional method (elbow grease) and unfortunately the head of the bolt is wedged between plastic borders inside the filter box. and when you torque the wrench to loosen the bolts you will more likely break the plastic tabs causing the bolt to spin freely.....no worries just use a cresent wrench to grip the bolt.

2. the stock airbox sits on a "brass" colored bracket. RMR recomends that you remove it for proper fitment. I chose not to because the intercooler down pipe is secured to that bracket and the vaccum line from the turbo are also secured to the same bracket. Instead i chose to bend the bracket seat in order to fit the filter element. Its not to hard to bend and would probably bend back to place fairly easy if you chose to reinstall the factory stuff.

Have fun....
ran