Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2step? makes you blow motor?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2step? makes you blow motor?

Let me start by saying I got this info from a good friend.
A friend of his hit 2step for 10sec and it blew up his motor. It does seem logical since the stock ECU doesn't record gas being injected into engine.
I know 10 full sec is a long time.
But I've been to the track and I've 2step for 6 sec maybe more. Is it possible to blow of 2step?

Did my search thanks
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anything is possible!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I agree... it is possible. 10 seconds is a good while, and if fuel cuts out for some odd reason for just a few you have a horrible mess on your hands. With that said, I'd have to say that this seems to be the first case I've heard of.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

your friend deserves blowing his motor for holding it that long
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

>i been seeing a lot of people from long island on here!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
Let me start by saying I got this info from a good friend.
A friend of his hit 2step for 10sec and it blew up his motor. It does seem logical since the stock ECU doesn't record gas being injected into engine.
I know 10 full sec is a long time.
But I've been to the track and I've 2step for 6 sec maybe more. Is it possible to blow of 2step?

Did my search thanks
I'd have to know what the method of failure of said motor was. Did he throw a rod, head gasket, hole a piston? Once the method of failure was given, we may be able to more accurately diagnose the cause of the issue.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
your friend deserves blowing his motor for holding it that long

Thats not very nice. I cant see why Mitsu would use the 2 stage feature if it could damage the engine. Makes no sense to me.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Thats not very nice. I cant see why Mitsu would use the 2 stage feature if it could damage the engine. Makes no sense to me.
Stock 2step doesnt build boost, its the boost that being built with reflashed ecu's using 2step that causes problems. Correct?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
Stock 2step doesnt build boost, its the boost that being built with reflashed ecu's using 2step that causes problems. Correct?
I belive stock 2step does build boost. To my knowledge the flash does not make you build the boost. I have a 2003 Evo and I had to flash to add 2-step but did nothing else. It still builds boost by "just" changing the stationary rev limit.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer

You know, I had no idea the stock flash didnt build boost with the 2step. But then I have only driven my EVO like 4 times!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uh, first of all, Mitsu didn't put it in as a 2-step. They just put it in to keep people from doing 7k rpm launches. Also, of course it builds boost on the stock 5k limiter. Flashes don't randomly add this - it's automatic just by putting load on the engine with the revs bouncing. The difference is that the higher the rpm, the more boost it will build, so when people get a flash and raise it to 6k, they build more boost off the line than when at 5k. That aspect is not really relevant here, though.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

edited...
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SteveosEvo
I belive stock 2step does build boost. To my knowledge the flash does not make you build the boost. I have a 2003 Evo and I had to flash to add 2-step but did nothing else. It still builds boost by "just" changing the stationary rev limit.
I wouldnt call it a stock 2-step actually, id call it more of a Revlimiter boost builder

But i dont remember my stock revlimiter building boost
I thought it was something they added in when doing reflashes

Guess not lol
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

It was probably the same guy that made that video last week with the "anti lag" setup on his EMS.....holding the 2 step for about 15 seconds.....LOL
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

it doesnt build lots of boost cause the motor needs load to get high boost pressure. the higher you rev you might get a little more boost, but yes at 5k you will build a little boost, and higher you might build a little more.

how it builds the boost is imagine this, when it cuts, then the RPMS begin to drop, slowing down the flywheel, and when it goes again, the motor has to get the flywheel back up to speed, which is very little but a little bit of load which gives you that little bit of boost were seeing.

thats why people that launch good, slip or load the clutch a little so the motor gets some weight so it works harder creating boost.

edit, OH YA the topic. would be nice to know what exactly failed on the motor, like one of the guys above asked. chances are something else was the issue, low oil, bad tune, something else. technically you should be able to ride that limiter all day, it will cause wear like anything else but shouldnt blow it up.

Quick Reply: 2step? makes you blow motor?