Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buy through local dealer or drive elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy through local dealer or drive elsewhere?

I am planning on purchasing an EVO in the next month or so. Our local small dealer has a Red EVO with $2500 markup on the tag. I'm sure I can get it lower, but I want a silver EVO with sunroof. Another dealership 80 miles (cross-state) away has the EVO I want, and even offered MSRP via email.

Simple question, can I haggle my local dealer for under MSRP if car is not on their lot? I know he may pull a 'delivery/pickup charge'. Is that a bogus fee for dealers to get a car from another lot. I don't mind driving to get the car I want, but I would like to support local economy. More importantly, I'm not buying any EVO for MSRP or higher.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Kdogg
Old May 29, 2003, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

my local dealer had a 4k markup

i drove 100 miles to get my evo at MSRP
Old May 29, 2003, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

just tell them that you dont like the markup, and if they dont yank it you find it to be no inconvenience to drive 80 miles to get what you want.

but if its about supporting the local economy, im sure that 2500 will really boost things, jk
Old May 30, 2003, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

I'd try haggling the price down. If you get the price, great. If not drive the 80 miles. $2k is a lot of money to save just for driving 80 miles. You can still get the car serviced at a local dealer.
Old May 30, 2003, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Which is more important to you, price or color option?

I would happily drive 80 miles to get the color I wanted, if the price of the local car (in a non-ideal color) was appx equal.

You can always haggle with the local dealer and walk once you get the price you want. Bring your paperwork to the other dealer 80 miles away and ask them if they would match the price.....cause if they would, you would buy from them on the spot because "you've heard good things about the great customer service they offer."or some other kiss-455 BS.....If they are a reasonable dealership, they'll eat it up.

I bet if you employ that scheme you could get the car you want, at the price you want.

Good luck!

SC~
Old May 30, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input.

I've never purchased a vehicle that wasn't on the dealer's lot. I'm assuming they'd negotiate easier with a car on the lot. For $30K+, I want the exact color/options on my car. If the car was any color other than red or white, then I would just settle.

For those you who ordered your EVO, were you able to haggle for less than MSRP?

BTW, my 20yr old brother tried to test drive the EVO. The salesman would only let him sit in it and start the car. Nothing new, but the salesman said that this would be their last EVO. They aren't getting anymore this year due to limited production. Nice sales pitch.

KDogg
Old May 30, 2003, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by kdogg
Thanks for the input.

For those you who ordered your EVO, were you able to haggle for less than MSRP?

KDogg
Wait till pick-up to haggle (in person). I bought mine 600 miles from where I live, but saved $6k...well worth it, plus I had it broken in by the time we got home
Old May 30, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

I would happily drive 80 miles to get the color I want. Remember, you will be walking out to this car every day and that color is what you will see first. Drive 80 miles and save money on the car you want! Seems like a no-brainer to me. I drove 130-140 miles to get my Apex Silver Evo.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kdogg
...For those you who ordered your EVO, were you able to haggle for less than MSRP?...
After my dealer missed delivery date after delivery date I haggled with them and got my car for $750 below sticker.
Old May 30, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chronohunter

I bought mine 600 miles from where I live, but saved $6k...well worth it, plus I had it broken in by the time we got home
Wow, that's dedication

Anyone driven further ?