Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I fiiled my gas tank to 14.8 gallons of gas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here but only when ever I put in first the car makes a wierd noice and shakes. and its not gear grinding.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

had the same clicking problem at the gas station, one of the few times I had left my car on, so I turned the car off and the clicking stopped and car ran fine. Also very cold out in the teens up here in the northeast. Hope everything works out
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Happened to a buddy of mine...we were on the way to a meet and stopped at a gas station because my buddy was on E. We were all wondering how he filled up 14.5 gallons in his car. We ended up leaving...got onto the freeway...about a mile later he flashed his emergency lights and swerved off the freeway. Come to find out later...he never filled up. The 14.5 gallons was filled in another car and he just looked up and was amazed.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^So wait a minute, your buddy paid to have somebody else's tank filled, and then ran out of gas on the highway?! That's gotta be up there on the list of most stupid things to do at a gas station.

My car does the slow fill/click off thing if i try to leave it running in the cold as well. Never really knew why that was, figured it had to do with pressure building up in the tank or something?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

You have a 14.0 Gallon gas tank like every other USDM Lancer Evolution. However, there is usually a 3 gallon reserve. My theory is that you dipped into the reserve tank. I'm not sure if the 3 gallon reserve is incorporated into the 14 gallon tank or a separate tank or if it even has one. Strange. Maybe it could just be the gas station cheatin you through your pockets.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
You have a 14.0 Gallon gas tank like every other USDM Lancer Evolution. However, there is usually a 3 gallon reserve. My theory is that you dipped into the reserve tank. I'm not sure if the 3 gallon reserve is incorporated into the 14 gallon tank or a separate tank or if it even has one. Strange. Maybe it could just be the gas station cheatin you through your pockets.
Are you for real? I have never heard of our cars having a reserve tank.

To the OP: It sounds more like to that the gas station is ripping you off. Also it is not good to leave a car run when filling it up. I have seen them stall and run rough just from that alone.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's time to contact consumer affairs
Old Feb 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

wow thats strange , probably have something to do with the weather.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRedition
I'm not sure about the Evo, but I know some cars if you're in the E and you keep driving...and if you notice...the meter goes back up a little bit, and the reserve tank kicks in. This happend to my civic...I was low on gas, but the gas station was kinda far, so I kept driving, and the meter went all the way down, then it went up a few notches...and when I got to the gas station...it showed more gallons than I usually put in when it got to E.

Maybe thats the problem? I'm not 100% sure, but just giving an idea.
LMFAO!!!!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:18 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, guys... Not sure if anyone heard me, but the Evo has a 55 litre fuel tank. If you calculate that, it comes to 14.53 US Gallons. NOT 14 gallons. The factory specs round it down to 14, but if you check the litre capacity, it's more accurate at 55 litres. Check the Evolution Wiki for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...ncer_Evolution

If you look at the side bar you will see that from 2003 onwards (i.e. when it got to the US) the Evolution had a 55 litre tank. Also, if you check the Japanese or European Mitsubishi websites, where it's quoted in litres, it will confirm it. The car is made in Japan no matter where you get it from - they won't use a different size tank for the USDM market.

I think this person filled up 0.3 gallons (or more, depending on how much fuel was in the tank already) over capacity (hence why you should never top-off), thus causing the poor performance for a short while until the fuel went low enough to be within its normal operating range.

Thanks!

S.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

wow
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:53 PM

I've heard of this as well, station needs to calibrate the pump...
Old Feb 16, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TruBluIX
You Overfilled your gas tank and caused your full evap system to get filled with gas. If your Evap lines and charcoal canister your car will run like crap and you might cause an evap leak or fault for your emissions system. (CEL) Just hope you didn't get charcoal in your purge valve. I see it all the time.
+1 and very expensive to replace!! When the pump stops just end it.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tirbolag9
i this is true. i remember watching the news and the story was about gas during hot weather and cold weather. during hot weather, gasoline tends to expand and during cold weather less tendency to expand. so when filling up during cold weather you can actually fill up with more gas. now, not sure if there's any truth to this...can't recall what was said on the news. can anyone or chem engineer chime in on this?

if you ran your tank all the way down to E, you probably used up your reserves too. so therefore explains why you filled up that much??? cold temps could be a factor too.
This gentleman is correct. And so is ROM. Gasoline condenses at cold temps, thus
you get more in the same space. Less when it is hot outside. We actually get more
gas for our money in the winter because the pumps can't compensate for this.

Our cars have a 14.5 gallon tanks as Rom stated. 55liters. The OP just ran his car
REALLY low. I've gotten as much as 14g on a fill up. My wife won't let me drive it
dry...I've got a habit of running out of gas !!!!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

i ran out of gas. stopped 1/2 a block from the gas station. two guys helped me push it to the station. I topped it off to 14.5 gallons. We have a 14.5 gallon tank. there is no reserve.

Quick Reply: I fiiled my gas tank to 14.8 gallons of gas