Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Project FQ-340..... Build Up Pics/Vids/Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007 | 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
He should of used a Brian Crower 2.4 liter stroker kit. That would be a better match for the GT35R. Here in this forum there is another British guy that is running a 2.4 liter stroker kit. His kit is custom though. He has the Brian Crower 102mm crankshaft and the pistons and connecting rods are from different suppliers.

The Brian Crower stroker kit can handle 800+ horsepower. With this kit and a GT35R turbo you will reach 20psi by 3600rpm. It is also much less expensive than the JUN kit.

The kit I am refering to was initially first made for a British tuning company shooting for 1000hp.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+gt35r+evo+vii
Yes but the JUN pieces are truly rugged. And proven reliable. Brian Crower's outfit is not the same as Crower Cams ( his dads which is proven over many years to be reliable) and is fairly new at the game. Not hating but just pointing out that the goal was 500+ whp reliably and to be driven long distance on pump gas only along with the intent of 8K+ revs. Please note Mases decision to go with a higher rev limit and smaller engine size to allow that by not getting into piston speed trouble. I also note Mase's special care in setting tolerances with that in mind.

Mase => kudos for the great job. Sounds like damn good work !

Milburn
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 03:26 PM
Account Disabled

At sixth gear and only 14psi by 4000rpm? That a lag monster! Nobody measures boost response at sixth gear. It should be done on third.
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 03:50 PM

He should of used a Brian Crower 2.4 liter stroker kit. That would be a better match for the GT35R. Here in this forum there is another British guy that is running a 2.4 liter stroker kit. His kit is custom though. He has the Brian Crower 102mm crankshaft and the pistons and connecting rods are from different suppliers.

The Brian Crower stroker kit can handle 800+ horsepower. With this kit and a GT35R turbo you will reach 20psi by 3600rpm in third gear. It is also much less expensive than the JUN kit.

The kit I am refering to was initially first made for a British tuning company shooting for 1000hp.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+gt35r+evo+vii

First, I have never been impressed w/ crower products to say the least, but we wont really go there.

If i were to go w/ a longer stroke, the piston speeds at 8000 rpms in 6th gear would make my pistons speed in my high reving s2000 look silly.

i could have run a smaller back housing on this turbo (its running a .82/ar) if i needed quicker spool. but when it comes down to it. i have a great powerband from 5000 rpms to 9000 rpms if i need to rev that high. the power does start to taper off at around 8500ish.

Also, its hard to justify a short 3rd gear to use when measuring spool times because of the lesser amount of load on the car vs its top gear.

Originally Posted by Luke WL.
I am running an ams 2.3 witha buschur 35r kit, I am guessing that this (your) kit has a larger back housing? Or would you be able to reproduce results like this on my car (because at the moment I am in the mid 400's on pump...

The 35r has a 82a/r that does help the top end, but is a bit laggier during spool. Its impossible to tell you if i was able to get more out of your setup, but put it this way, but 9.5 times out of 10 im able to improve upon someone elses tune will you magically pick up 50 whp? well depends on how well it was tuned. but for instance on a silver supra i just tuned, it made 75 more after i got done with it then the previous tuner, and i never once touched the boost controller when we compared the tunes.

Originally Posted by Aux.
What is the price for the mods ?????
Honestly, I havent gathered up totals, but its def a lot of money.
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 04:01 PM
Account Disabled

What's bad about Crower products? I'm not trying to argue. I just want to know.
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 06:21 PM
mot
Evolved Member

What's bad about Crower products? I'm not trying to argue. I just want to know.
you get what you pay for thats all i have to say
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 06:45 PM

damn thats nice man
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

nice build...
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

very nice work man
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 11:06 PM
Account Disabled

You get what you pay for? JDM is overpriced tite da dilly yo! You can get American made products for less and for the same quality. AMS and Buschur for example. What a weak argument.
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 11:40 PM

Vigo,
The thing is, you hear that phrase, "you get what you pay for" a lot because it's true. Kind of like, "there's no such thing as a free lunch". Savvy?

Something made in the U.S. isn't better by virtue of the fact that it's made here. That's as foolish as saying something like, "JDM is overpriced".

Your poor grammer notwithstanding, what you have written is stupid, yo.

tite da dilly!!!
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 11:44 PM
Account Disabled

HKS 2.3L stroker kit: $5,695.

AMS 2.3L stroker kit with Oliver rods: $2,595

The quality of these kits are most likely equal to each other. If you buy into the JDM hype you are a total fool. With JDM companies you are just buying the NAME, not God like quality.
Old Feb 14, 2007 | 11:50 PM
Account Disabled

I just wrote like that to imitate the JDM addicts from Super Street magazine and the people here in California. Questioning my grammar? Look at yourself! That's just lame and weak. Something being made in Japan also does not mean that it's automatically the best.

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 15, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2007 | 12:29 AM

Something is never the best because of where it's made, be it in Japan or America.
If you want to buy parts made in the U.S., simply because they're made here, then that's valid. But when you say someone's a "total fool" for buying into the jdm hype, that is foolish.

If I buy an ARC fmic, am I just buying the name?
If I buy a Buschur fmic, what else do I get? God-like quality?
Old Feb 15, 2007 | 12:42 AM
Account Disabled

No, I am not saying that if it's made here in the U.S. it's going to be the best. It could be made in Bangladesh for all I care. What I am trying to say is that a high price does not determine high quality. If it's high quality it's high quality and overpriced mean just that, overpriced. You savvy? What's with that type of talk. Are you trying to be slick like Johnny Depp, or something?
Old Feb 15, 2007 | 12:46 AM
Account Disabled

Did you look at the price of the stroker kits I posted above? What do you think of that? Foolish is paying for something that cost more than it should be. I don't care which company makes the part. If that company makes a good product and the price is reasonable than that's the company I will go with.

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 15, 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Project FQ-340..... Build Up Pics/Vids/Dyno