Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IX things that suck compared to the VIII

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an Evo IX but the 2 holes lookin like fog light holes are retarded. Even if they were for fogs, its stupid
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by boostless
I refuse to bite into IX v. VIII but in my opinion:

HIDs are an option- You should have gotten it
4th gear shifting? Ive never heard this gripe...maybe 1-3 for traffic but 4th?
Fuel Economy? Hahahaah...did the VIII get 30mpg? Get a Prius my friend
Louder - When I test drove the VIII, I could hear the engine CLEARLY through the fire wall. Even my friends were asking if it were normal.

This is basically a thread griping about things that someone who does research about the car they're purchasing would have known. Kick yourself in the *** for that one
I looked at HIDs, but wanted either blue or white. The SE IX was available in neither color, and I didn't want an MR.

4th gear ratio as in taller for the quarter mile for those of us that drag race sometimes. The VIII would go about 125mph before the rev limiter. The IX won't even hit 118. Its counter-productive to upshift to fifth, so I see no point to go the same power level I did with the VIII.

Fuel economy. I got close to 30mpg in my VIII on the highway and usually 24 in the city. 680cc injectors and GT30R turbo. 19mpg city/mixed in this car.

Can't speak for the sound. Every IX I've driven/been in is louder than every VIII I've driven/been in.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Fuel economy. I got close to 30mpg in my VIII on the highway and usually 24 in the city. 680cc injectors and GT30R turbo.
How the heck did you get that kind of MPG?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evolution[OH]
How the heck did you get that kind of MPG?

Thats what i would like to know.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

30mpg?. did you convert to fwd and drop a civiv engine in there ?
i get 17mpg 99% of the time and 19mpg was the record for normal driving. 22 mpg record for 1 long trip. hell i barely get 28-30mpg in my gf's 00 auto civic
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Get a nice aftermarket deck and the stock speakers are actually pretty good.

X2 and the stockers are very good i forget the brand off the top of my head but very good quality stereo system..except for the deck

go alpine or go home
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Im going to raise the bs flag on the 30mpg thing....and the only thing I would want from the VIII's is the HID's! their front bumpers are not bad either with those do luck lips!

Last edited by Jax419; Feb 16, 2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:33 AM

Classic statement. hits it right on the nose!!@!!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 01:58 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Its all about where you live and how you travel.

Sorry if I made it seem like it always, only got 30mpg on the highway. My "city driving" is probably like most people's highway driving. I live in a suburb out about 15 miles from the city. I spend both legs of that 15 miles on the interstate, so that taints what I would call city driving.

When I say highway, I'm talking about a road trip. I don't log many miles annually, so when traveling, I've gotten over 320 miles from a tank with ease.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
only problem with this question a lots of people answere based on guessing...
if you don't like away it looks VIII or IX that is okey. But if you don't owned both of them, how in the hell you can compere them? Because you drove it like an hour?/If.../
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I went from a base VIII to a base IX. Everything that changed on the IX I like better except:
1) as already mentioned, the lack of HID's on base model
2) The lack of engine braking feature when lifting off the throttle above 3000rpm (this feature also made it into the 05 VIII"s)
Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
What kind of racing pedigree does Lexus have? Oh that's right, none.

Lexus having no racing pedigree????? You might want to do a little research. Toyota as a whole has a long racing history. Even their luxury division has some really good performance numbers. If I were you, I would not discount their upcoming supercar.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

you guys missed the all important wing issue.. the evo VIII had a gorgeous all carbon wing, with the IXs wing was siginificantly cheapened...

also.. the intercooler sprayer! Very much overlooked as a easy way to add meth injection. the 03-04 evos with the first drivetrain layout are still the fastest... well less crap that can break. The loss of HIDs to add the front diff was not worth it IMO. The non HID evos just look weird.

Last edited by bdking57; Feb 16, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mr96gsx408
haha, you had to go there. it was just a project car to me to kill time. it has 450hp on a built auto tranny... i enjoy it...

i'm actually getting tired of the evo9 and dsm. My next car will probably be a is-f or is350 "autotragic" only. Only the dimwitted do not appreciate superior technology, or probably can't afford it.
Only the dimwitted would buy a Lexus looking for a good sports car.

Also, making assumptions about the financial situation of someone who doesn't share your preferences is generally a mistake.

I made the choice between the Evo and a brand new M3. Maybe you don't agree with my choice, but it has nothing to do with money.

Last edited by doccommando; Feb 16, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

bahh.. lexus sports car? Have fun with the undefeatable always interfering traction control...I evolved to a C6 and It still makes me respect the evo at its price (although clearly the vette has it going on for 50-60K). The lexus will leave you thinking about owning a real performance car for the next 4 years. I test drove the IS250 manual and it was just short of pathetic.. I have a hard time believing a prius could be much slower then that car.

Originally Posted by doccommando
Only the dimwitted would buy a Lexus looking for a good sports car.

Also, making assumptions about the financial situation of someone who doesn't share your preferences is generally a mistake.

I made the choice between the Evo and a brand new M3. Maybe you don't agree with my choice, but it has nothing to do with money.

Last edited by bdking57; Feb 16, 2007 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: IX things that suck compared to the VIII