Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IX things that suck compared to the VIII

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think both evos are fantastic, but i wouldn't necessarily call it cheap speed, evos are pretty expensive if you ask me. 25-35k new or used still seems like a lot to me, cheap speed would be my boy picking up a first gen for 2k and then 5k and run 11s but i can't wait till i get my evo regardless... i just can't stand my wrx anymore.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
4th gear ratio as in taller for the quarter mile for those of us that drag race sometimes. The VIII would go about 125mph before the rev limiter. The IX won't even hit 118. Its counter-productive to upshift to fifth, so I see no point to go the same power level I did with the VIII....
This is from post #23, surprised nobody caught this...

I am gonna have to throw a bull**** flag on this one....how the hell did you get a stock evo 8 up to 125 mph in the 1/4? And 118 in the IX? Have you ever even seen an Evo drag before?

Anyways, who wants to drag an evo...rally is where its at baby

I didnt look to long but here is some factual evidence... fastest stockers i could find

Stock 06 Evo IX MR 13.41@104.14

Stock 03 Evo VIII 13.13@102.08

Last edited by skywestseth; Mar 20, 2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by skywestseth
This is from post #23, surprised nobody caught this...

I am gonna have to throw a bull**** flag on this one....how the hell did you get a stock evo 8 up to 125 mph in the 1/4? And 118 in the IX? Have you ever even seen an Evo drag before?

Anyways, who wants to drag an evo...rally is where its at baby

I didnt look to long but here is some factual evidence... fastest stockers i could find

Stock 06 Evo IX MR 13.41@104.14

Stock 03 Evo VIII 13.13@102.08

Oh noes!!11 I'm being accosted by a n00b from Alabama!

Where did I say stocker? Oh that's right, I didn't. You assumed incorrectly. I'm talking about stock transmission gearing on MODIFIED Evos. Read a little bit closer and you'll understand I'm referencing 7800rpm in each car's 4th gear.

I went 11.85@118mph in my VIII that was decently modified, so yes, I've seen an Evo drag before... Looking down while I drove it.

Learn to read before attempting to insult someone. Now go rally somewhere.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

dude you have to be kidding me................................................ .....................
Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Oh noes!!11 I'm being accosted by a n00b from Alabama!

Where did I say stocker? Oh that's right, I didn't. You assumed incorrectly. I'm talking about stock transmission gearing on MODIFIED Evos. Read a little bit closer and you'll understand I'm referencing 7800rpm in each car's 4th gear.

I went 11.85@118mph in my VIII that was decently modified, so yes, I've seen an Evo drag before... Looking down while I drove it.

Learn to read before attempting to insult someone. Now go rally somewhere.
Actually your original post does insinuate that you are comparing stock evo's, comparing to modified evos would be highly impractical being there is no baseline. So basically under your comparison i could compare an evo 8 with a gt42r to an evo ix rs and complain that the evo 8 was way faster because fourth gear was taller.

Seriously though who calls someone a noob, what are you like 14....go pop some pimples
Old Mar 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by skywestseth
Actually your original post does insinuate that you are comparing stock evo's, comparing to modified evos would be highly impractical being there is no baseline. So basically under your comparison i could compare an evo 8 with a gt42r to an evo ix rs and complain that the evo 8 was way faster because fourth gear was taller.

Seriously though who calls someone a noob, what are you like 14....go pop some pimples

Fourteen? No, I'm like thirty-three, and ashamed that we share the same first name. For the record, the reason nobody else "caught this" is because apparently you're the only one in the entire thread who ASSumed incorrectly that I was referring to a stock car being able to attain rev limiter speeds in 4th gear while drag racing. Why? I don't know. Maybe there is a triple dose of sarcasm in your brain where your reading comprehension is supposed to be kept.

Here, I'll break it down so you might be able to understand:

Originally Posted by From post #1
2) I miss the VIII's gearing, especially 4th for acceleration.
3) I miss the 5th gear for fuel economy. My VIII made 140whp more than my IX
Originally Posted by From post #23
4th gear ratio as in taller for the quarter mile for those of us that drag race sometimes. The VIII would go about 125mph before the rev limiter. The IX won't even hit 118. Its counter-productive to upshift to fifth, so I see no point to go the same power level I did with the VIII.
If the bolded part in the last quote doesn't show you that I wasn't talking about stock cars, then I don't know how to help your reading comprehension anymore than that.

I'm sorry you misunderstood me, but I went 53k in my Evo VIII and just made a thread to compare some differences of my old car and new one.

On topic: I got a new custom tuned flash recently and my MPG has improved a little. I'm seeing 22mpg in the city and just shy of 26mpg on the highway.

Last edited by Noize; Mar 21, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 01:47 PM

havent driven the IX but i have heard good and bad things about it like the IX has horrible gearing is all i have heard.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its awesome that so many people on this board think rallying is better than all other forms of motorsport, but never have been to the actual WRC.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

It's sad that you had to explain that to him TWICE, Noize. Real sad.

Back to the topic. I had a 2003 Evo 8 GSR, then a 2004 Evo 8 RS. Immediately, I missed the HID's. All the other crap didn't make a bit of difference compared to the HID's. I would have even went without air conditioning as long as it came with the HID's. Yeah, I liked them THAT much. Now I've traded up to an Evo 9 and before I bought it, I made sure that I was going to get HID's. Looking it up on Mitsu's website told me I could either: 1.) Get an MR, 2.) Get an SE, or 3.) Get a GSR and then have HID's added as an extra. I took one look at the SE's and was in love. There was no need for me to compromise on anything. I didn't have to get the MR and then hate the transmission, I didn't have to get a GRS and then have a dealership install HID's which they would probably end up doing poorly.....An SE it was.

Oh, and I thought that not having the red tape on the door locks was an SE thing. Guess I'm not so "special" after all.