Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Actual Power Output

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actual Power Output

Most performance cars coming over from japan the past decade or so have been underrated from my experience. The Supra. The MR2 Turbo. The NSX.

In Japan many cars get labeled as 276hp cars for whatever reasons and then show up over here and get labeled as more powerful cars (276 -> 320hp 2JZGTEs) wiht no changes or less powerful due some emission or other change (240hp -> 200hp 3SGTEs).

Is it or would it be that surprising to see some *change* made from mitsubishi that takes the evo8, in my guess, from an under rated 271hp to a more properly rated/tuned 300hp?

I've seen some stock dyno graphs showing 240-250whp which is not ~275 crank hp especially with AWD. When stock Supras were turning in excess of 280 whp stock, and MR2 Turbos were turning over 170hp, a very obvious trend was shown.

All the real world numbers around tracks and down the strip show these cars are making more than advertised. For once advertising is actually helpful. Where can I get an advertised 125hp Evo8, that just happens to run low 13s, to get lower insurance?