Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Going to attempt Forge WGA install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Forge WGA on my 05 and noticed no change in the boost profile - it provided me no benefit, fwiw.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I have the Forge WGA on my 05 and noticed no change in the boost profile - it provided me no benefit, fwiw.

not that im douting you but maby it is not ajusted right?. i beleave it helped my setup. i would go and say if it is not ajusted right then you need to make it tighter...

i was told by a good source how to ajust it and make sure it was set right. i seem to get good resolts
Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read where you posted that as well. But, you never had boost drop off as much as mine. Save for when you moved to CO.

I'm installing this because a lot of other people think I either:

a) I have a faulty WGA
b) not enough pre-load on the stock WGA.

Al suggested I do this because when he tuned my car he noticed a lot of boost taper.

I may just hold off on doing this myself and go to VIP to get a coated exhaust manifold, coated hotside, and O2 housing installed. I may as well make it worthwhile.

Last edited by kapolani; Feb 17, 2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Kapolani, some people may be able to do it with the radiator on, but I can't fit my hands in such a tight space. You can just jack the car up, drain the radiator, disconnect the radiator hoses, pull the radiator UP through the top of the engine bay, then you will have direct access to the WGA. It's easy to remove, and when you put the new one on, just remember to adjust the turnbuckle so that the opening at the end of the WG arm is 1/4" or so below the pin of the WG flapper at its lowest position. You will then need compressed air that you hook directly to the WGA nipple in order to pump the arm up and connect it to the pin. After the arm is on the pin, remove the compressed air, and it will pull taut. After that, slip in the retaining pin, and put everything back together.
Did you try just pulling on the arm without the compressed air? That's what I've done in the past. The spring isn't _that_ strong, even on a high pressure actuator.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
For you guys that removed the lower heat shield without pulling your radiator, did you leave the O2 sensor in?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

I just grabbed the actuator arm and pulled real hard to get it on the turnbuckle.
Luckily, I have scrawny forearms...lol.

Imo the benifits of a forge wga are seen at higher boost levels 25-30 psi where the stock wga spring can't seem hold the flapper shut.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Dan, I adjusted mine multiple times to no avail.

Rich, yes I tried, but I couldn't get it that far using my fingers.

Evotech, I've only used it at 26psi and higher. I didn't add it until I got alky, and I specifically added it thinking that it would help with running higher boost, but it didn't. It didn't hurt either, but there was no noticeable improvement.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:36 PM
Account Disabled

I wanted to mention that Forge cancelled their sponsorship with warrtalon. I hope he stays on course to be truthful about their products even though the free parts have stopped flowing his way.

The uprated, CNC machined, hand polished high boost actuators are very nice units that work. The diaphram type Evo IX wga was one of the parts we employed to help run our 10 second passes.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I wanted to mention that Forge cancelled their sponsorship with warrtalon. I hope he stays on course to be truthful about their products even though the free parts have stopped flowing his way.

The uprated, CNC machined, hand polished high boost actuators are very nice units that work. The diaphram type Evo IX wga was one of the parts we employed to help run our 10 second passes.
I don't think this was needed.

But, even before the sponsorship was canceled he stated the above.

IMHO - Warr may be a little abrasive at times, but I've always found him to be truthful and helpful in a lot of his posts.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

So are you saying that you now have an evo9 turbo on your evo8? If so what did you notice in the switch? Or what has your research shown you in other cars you have worked on and swaped the evo9 turbo in on an evo8

How do you feel the new wga will work on the green lt or 20g9-5
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Scott, definitely not necessary. My sponsorship was not cancelled. Mike expressed his discontent over me being TOO honest with people about the Forge direct replacement BOV despite not ever bothering to tell me that it had been updated to have RS internals. I was quite put off by him reprimanding me when I had helped to sell tons and TONS of product without receiving anything for the prior 6-8 months. He said there was no way to tell how many I had actually "sold," because I'm not a vendor. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I had helped to make the UNOS the most popular MBC in the Evo market, so I said there was no reason to bother continuing that relationship. I have never recommended this WGA like I did the UNOS MBC and RS BOV, because I didn't think it was that useful. Yet, even after ending the sponsorship, I _still_ highly recommend the UNOS and RS to everyone.

So, I think it's safe to say I already HAVE stayed on course in being truthful. Nothing I said above was untruthful, so that attempt at a low blow was again...not necessary.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and the unos is a pos.... why buy something u have to fix from day 1.

its good for the 8's but i had no luck with mine on the ix. sold it a friend with an 8 and works great on his..
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

It works great on all Evos, and you don't have to fix it from day 1. You just had a bad experience, but tons and tons of Evos use it and love it.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:59 PM
Pocket Mo

The UNOS is a pos on the 9? Then I guess Mike@Forge must've blessed mine because it's working like a champ.

I like the fact they provide 2 springs to ensure everyone boosting from 5psi to 30 can make use of their products.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
So are you saying that you now have an evo9 turbo on your evo8? If so what did you notice in the switch? Or what has your research shown you in other cars you have worked on and swaped the evo9 turbo in on an evo8

How do you feel the new wga will work on the green lt or 20g9-5

I am using the new WGA design on my 20G LT. It works very well. I did a Dyno review on the new turbo and all my mods which included the new Forge actuator. I am very happy with it. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=248112

I also had the Forge upgraded actuator on my 9.8 16G turbo. Liked that one alot too. The car went 11.8@116+ on that set up as well.

There is no way to tell if they make more or less power, but I can hold boost good and have posted countless logs confirming this.

One way I test to see how the actuator is working, is to turn my EBC (E-01) to the OFF position. Then do a 3rd or 4th gear pull. I then can see what is the maximum boost my controller displays. That in turn tells me when the waste gate is opening and dumping.

The factory actuator only allowed me to run 12 to 13 psi with the EBC de-activated. With the Forge 18 psi actuator, the boost can be adjusted up to 24 psi. I have and had mine set at 20 psi. It has worked for me.
It is got to be better! The gate won't open until later. So I would think that will help in many areas some how.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Going to attempt Forge WGA install