Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust Tickets Possible Solution

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveo's Evo
its so annyoing when you got some big a$$ redneck truck drivin by with a loud exhaust bad man if we just get a cat back...im just tired of getting harassed
Rock! They have rednecks in Korea?!

Redneck invasion baby!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In NY it's not that bad, you only get an exhaust ticket if your caught doing something stupid like street racing or flying through residential neighborhoods. I mean i was in my friends car wen he got pulled over on the Long Island Expressway for speeding and he only recieved a speeding ticket. There not so bad at looking for things to give you a ticket for unlessy our being and a**hole! lol
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

There is no smog inspection where I live - Louisville Kentucky. People here run their cars with no exhaust at all. In the span of five years, all the vehicles I've owned have been completely catless. You can be as loud as you want. I do have to admit that every time I listen to NPR or read a newspaper, I feel guilty when I come across topics regarding environmental issues. Anyone ever feel like they're not putting in their share in attempting to fix this destructive issue? I certainly do. Its a constant battle between my demonic modification needs and being environmentally responsible. I think I'm starting to cave in. You won't see me driving a Prius anytime soon but I may actually leave a cat or two.

Damnit...car manufacturers need to switch to methanol.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 07:57 AM
Pocket Mo

You could always drive around with a stock cat for everyday driving and switch over to a test pipe for the track days.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

i think it also has alot to do with ricer profiling. my friends and i got pulled over for some idiot in a 240 doing burnouts in the parking lot we were hanging out in pulled him over let him go, called back up we get pulled over after leaving to avoid any of this first cop real nice guy no problems tells me not to street race tell him i dont do that stuff any more. second cop you know theres a noise ordinance and aftermarket exhausts are not allowed right. no. well next time i see you with that exhaust youre getting a ticket i have the ams catback and all of you who have this catback know its not loud at all unless ur wot. any way he never heard my exhuast he just saw the stainless piping and big *** canister haha oh well.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In CA you can add a catback as long as the db level is under 95 I think. The db level is around 93-95 max. I forget the exact number. CA law states that a city cannot have a more strict exhaust law than that either.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Evolution[OH]
you get harassed in Korea too?
Korean cops can't do **** about it, nor do they care. Even if they try to catch you, you just run for it and you'll be fine
Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:56 AM

Eh... I got pulled over in Ohio for exhaust noise...
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:36 AM

Get a sherriffs plate... I have one it works!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
In Washington, the new law is you CAN get an aftermarket exhaust, but it cannot be louder than stock. Luckily for us Evo guys the stock exhaust is pretty loud to begin with so we have a couple of options when it comes to aftermarket exhausts. The Greddy Evo 2 and Tanabe Touring Medallion comes to mind as those are right near the 92db level of the stock Evo exhaust.

The same law applies to bikes as well but enforcement doesn't seem as likely with the choppers as they are with imports.
Wow I never realized my stock EVO exhaust was loud, even a little bit Wow
Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:54 AM
Pocket Mo

I had no idea how loud it is until I saw that Evo exhaust test done by SCC or Import Tuner or one of those guys. I was just as surprised as you.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Motorcycles do not apply to the exhaust law or 95db law because they are smog exempt. Just like how old *** muscle cars can have their motor sticking out of the engine bay and be loud as hell without an issue.

A guy on SoCalEvo installed his old quiet aftermarket exhaust, took it to the ref and got it certified saying that it is legal to have it and meets is no louder than 95dB. After that, changed exhaust out and carries papers.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:14 PM

its bad here in ca, they assume if ur car has modified exhaust thats enough to have a warrent in hand to pop ur hood on the spot. suspision of illegally modified cars modified for street racing. ive been popped 4 times. every time i laugh in the guys face cuz my **** is hella loud (3" turbo back) and hella shiny (1-4" x18" Tip) so they assume im a street racer rather then complain about the noise. they pop my hood and see it looks all stock.. they try to give me **** about the turbo saying how my car never came turbo, also they said the intercooler pipes may be aftermarket (which are stock) so i end up with a ref ticket over my exhaust, which i unbolt take to ref and get signed off, then go home and change it back.

In sacramento and all of CA for that matter..anything beside something that "looks stock" according to the cop is illegal and reason to get pulled over.

Last edited by MREvOTard; Feb 20, 2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: cuz im stupid.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MREvoIX06
Get a sherriffs plate... I have one it works!
meaning........?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nhoj
i heard that in Hawaii, if you do ANY modifications to your car, you have to report it to the DMV or when you get pulled over you get massss fines.. "ANY modifications" including rims..

kind of true, we have a recon (reconstruction) station you have to go to if you do something to your car that isnt factory, exhaust isnt one of them, but now they have that new law they are tring to pass.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tickets Possible Solution