Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur FMIC issues please input info..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur FMIC issues please input info..

Keep in mind this was all used equipment...

So i was installing my FMIC today and ran into a few issues...

1) LICP to turbo pipe not connected real well due to gaps in hose i got.. (Seems like it is maybe leaking)

2)Left mount for the FMIC is forcing the FMIC to sit VERY VERY snug against my power steering lines (not kinking, but some pressure) but they had no where to go, unlike my buddy dan who's lines are below the bolt hole

Other than that, the thing looks awesome, and feels nice and cold on the right side but would like to know how to fix either issue if i could please.

could be my error on installation, but its not that tough...

Would my car feel weaker with the bigger FMIC, like i need to turn the boost up a little?

Also, i noticed... I am only able to hit about 20 psi in first and then in like 3rd 4th and 5th it would allow it to go to 23/24 when i was fiddling with my MBC.. does this sound like a leak?

Thanks again!

Ohh and BTW i have a IX and think most of the components fit the VIII could this be an issue?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

umm...do u have t bolt clamps? do a boost leak test...and see where its leaking from....i know my buscher kit had a leak from the blowoff valve flange...and i know it runs common in these kits..so cover the turbo and throw some air in that car see if there are leaks....
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I've installed 2 Buschur FMICs that I purchased new and both of them required a rubber mallet to coax the brackets into the right position for a straight, perfect mount. You do NOT want anything rubbing, so if you've got interference with the power steering lines, you need to fix that or it will cause problems in the long term.

It's normal to get higher boost in the higher gears. It was probably doing that before you installed the new IC and you just didn't notice.

I don't quite understand your first point. Is this a Deluxe FMIC with the 1-piece lower IC pipe welded to the core? If so, you need to spend some time making sure that the pipe off the turbo and the pipe off the FMIC line up well with each other. In addition to the bending the brackets, you can also use washers as shims under the brackets to change the alignment as needed.

And finally, a pressure test is a good idea to find any leaks. My old deluxe kit had some pinhole leaks on the turbo outlet pipe where the pipe welded to the flange. An easy fix with JB Weld, but you need to do the leak test to find them. And if you got the core used, a test of the core would be a good idea too.

Good luck!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
Keep in mind this was all used equipment...

So i was installing my FMIC today and ran into a few issues...

1) LICP to turbo pipe not connected real well due to gaps in hose i got.. (Seems like it is maybe leaking)

2)Left mount for the FMIC is forcing the FMIC to sit VERY VERY snug against my power steering lines (not kinking, but some pressure) but they had no where to go, unlike my buddy dan who's lines are below the bolt hole

Other than that, the thing looks awesome, and feels nice and cold on the right side but would like to know how to fix either issue if i could please.

could be my error on installation, but its not that tough...

Would my car feel weaker with the bigger FMIC, like i need to turn the boost up a little?

Also, i noticed... I am only able to hit about 20 psi in first and then in like 3rd 4th and 5th it would allow it to go to 23/24 when i was fiddling with my MBC.. does this sound like a leak?

Thanks again!

Ohh and BTW i have a IX and think most of the components fit the VIII could this be an issue?
First...which FMIC kit do you have? Either way fitment should not be a problem.

The LICP you are talking about..... What is the problem you are having with the coupling and connection? Which connection is it? It may not even be the original couplings that we included when it was new.

As for the power steering lines....its hard to say what could have happened with the mounting brackets in the time of it leaving here until you got it. You may have to do what was mentioned with "persuading" the bracket with a rubber mallet or bend the tab some to provide you with the proper clearance/location.

If you could provide some pictures that would definately be helpful in solving your issue.

There is not a difference in the fitment from the Evo 8 and Evo 9 FMIC the only difference is the LICP.

Definately a boost leak check is recommended.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
First...which FMIC kit do you have? Either way fitment should not be a problem.

The LICP you are talking about..... What is the problem you are having with the coupling and connection? Which connection is it? It may not even be the original couplings that we included when it was new.

As for the power steering lines....its hard to say what could have happened with the mounting brackets in the time of it leaving here until you got it. You may have to do what was mentioned with "persuading" the bracket with a rubber mallet or bend the tab some to provide you with the proper clearance/location.

If you could provide some pictures that would definately be helpful in solving your issue.

There is not a difference in the fitment from the Evo 8 and Evo 9 FMIC the only difference is the LICP.

Definately a boost leak check is recommended.

Thanks it was the Deluxe FMIC.

The problem i am have is the connected LICP that connects to the turbo pipe. the reducer part of the coupling dont seem to have a good grip on the pipe...

I did have 2 t clamps but one seemed to break off... Unfortunantly i didnt get a picture of the problem when i was working on it. I am taking it to SBR today to see if they can do a pressure test on it, and no one seems to carry any Tbolts around here so i hope they have them...

It came with the FMIC, a black coupling made of rubber for the driver side, it also came with a black pipe with a tin (sorta material) that connects to the turbo and connecting that to the turbo is a blue helix rubber coupling with 2 tbolts.. car is sitting outside, will go take some pics.... brb in a few thanks
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

i bought a deluxe FMIC new from buschur and had a couple of problems...
first, the bracket on the pass side was missing so i had to make one and weld it to the core.. second, the core was about 1 inch to the passenger side of the car so i had to bend the brackets so my bumper would fit. third, the PS lines hit HARD so i had to take them off and bend them to fit without touching.. and on top of that i had to trim my bumper grill so that the bumper would go all the way on with hitting the IC.. i give it a 5 on a 1-10 scale... but it WAS far from a bolt on ....
i never called buschur to b**ch cause i'm sure all other kits are the same.. nothing is ever a TRUE bolt on....other than that once i got it on properly.. it works great and fits fine... just needed some heavy TLC.... i guess what i am saying is NOTHING ever fits, you just get peices that are close... and its up to you from there..... but i will admit, $1000 for something that dont fit is kinda harsh!!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Here are the pics.. seemed kinda ghetto to me when i was putting it on, but after i got so far, i had no choice... let me know what you think i should do.. thanks

one of the clamps broke and it had to be replaced with 2 nasty crappy clamps...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by browningderek
i bought a deluxe FMIC new from buschur and had a couple of problems...
first, the bracket on the pass side was missing so i had to make one and weld it to the core.. second, the core was about 1 inch to the passenger side of the car so i had to bend the brackets so my bumper would fit. third, the PS lines hit HARD so i had to take them off and bend them to fit without touching.. and on top of that i had to trim my bumper grill so that the bumper would go all the way on with hitting the IC.. i give it a 5 on a 1-10 scale... but it WAS far from a bolt on ....
i never called buschur to b**ch cause i'm sure all other kits are the same.. nothing is ever a TRUE bolt on....other than that once i got it on properly.. it works great and fits fine... just needed some heavy TLC.... i guess what i am saying is NOTHING ever fits, you just get peices that are close... and its up to you from there..... but i will admit, $1000 for something that dont fit is kinda harsh!!

I just dont want my car to run like poo... Im not complaining either, i purchased this slightly used, and understand you get what ya pay for sometimes... but that wouldnt change the structure... I was just looking for a quick fix for my possible boost leak (i can hear it when i start boosting...)...
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Peteypab2133: That is a very old style deluxe FMIC. One that was never intended for an Evo 9. We did not have that specific FMIC when the Evo 9 was released. We changed the design by then. That is why that lower pipe does not fit properly. It will only be a matter of time until that blows off or tears.

Couple of things though... the coupling on the outlet (driver side) is supposed to be a straight black hose. That hump hose is included in our upper IC pipe kit. The blue coupling is who knows what. That never came from us.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
Peteypab2133: That is a very old style deluxe FMIC. One that was never intended for an Evo 9. We did not have that specific FMIC when the Evo 9 was released. We changed the design by then. That is why that lower pipe does not fit properly. It will only be a matter of time until that blows off or tears.

Couple of things though... the coupling on the outlet (driver side) is supposed to be a straight black hose. That hump hose is included in our upper IC pipe kit. The blue coupling is who knows what. That never came from us.

Thank you for the bad news. Unfortunantley STEVE and NOLIMITMOTORSPORTS failed to tell me that this was NOT INTENDED to be used on a IX.. He mearly told me that it was USED ON A IX from a buddy of his. I am a little irritated right now, but i guess thats what happens... What do you suggest i do? get 2 new hoses, and all new clamps, or is it even possible to get a hose that connects where the blue one is.. You know that it reduces, so what are the chances that i could get another hose like that.....

Thanks for the very FAST responses...
Old Mar 1, 2007, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
Thank you for the bad news. Unfortunantley STEVE and NOLIMITMOTORSPORTS failed to tell me that this was NOT INTENDED to be used on a IX.. He mearly told me that it was USED ON A IX from a buddy of his. I am a little irritated right now, but i guess thats what happens... What do you suggest i do? get 2 new hoses, and all new clamps, or is it even possible to get a hose that connects where the blue one is.. You know that it reduces, so what are the chances that i could get another hose like that.....

Thanks for the very FAST responses...
If you can contact Steve to find out if that is ACTUALLY an Evo 8 outlet pipe (the one that bolts to the turbo) our Evo 9 outlet pipe MIGHT work on this FMIC setup and solve your problem. I would recommend getting both new hoses. I also have the clamps and correct couplings here as well.

No problem man... glad to help!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks alot JROD. you are saving the day... I should have saved the few extra bucks and bought it new like i had planned, but i ran short on money and had to have it by a specific date or else my help wouldnt be around anymore...

Would you please Pm me the prices on the hoses and clamps...

I can also take some pictures of the turbo outlet pipe if you need to see them to make a decision...
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear the bad news...When i purchased my intercooler from buschur there was no installation issues that i was unaware of. i was informed of how it would fit and everything. great piece and also very helpful staff. Thanx alot to the guys over at buschur for always being willing to help out!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

I had issues with my deluxe lining up to the turbo without causing a leak. I eventually had to construct a rubber seal from radiator hose to keep it from leaking.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jojo3620
Sorry to hear the bad news...When i purchased my intercooler from buschur there was no installation issues that i was unaware of. i was informed of how it would fit and everything. great piece and also very helpful staff. Thanx alot to the guys over at buschur for always being willing to help out!
Its used, and i bought it from a different vender, and it wasnt buschur sooooo it
Wasnt buschurs fault at all... i was told it was taken off a IX from a seller, and wasnt mentioned that it wasnt meant to fit a IX.... no wonder he was getting rid of it..

Quick Reply: Buschur FMIC issues please input info..