Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How soon should I wax the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How soon should I wax the Evo?

Just picked up my BBY Evo 2 days ago , but have a question. After reading all the posts about paint quality, I want to get a few layers of nice wax on it ASAP.

However, I remember hearing about waiting to wax new cars to allow the paint to fully 'breath' or set. Does waxing right away cause problems down the road?

Any input or experience?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

i'm curious to this also
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your car has waited long enough!~ You should let the paint sit for at least a month or so. But if you just got your EVO its already been sitting for a few months!! So wax away

Heres what I did -

Put 1 layer of Paint Sealer on ($65 from detail shop~! )
Put 1 layer of Deep Crystal Carnuba wax on

Looks shiny as ****, and feel soft as hell!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:17 PM
SRD
Evolving Member

didn't all the previous post tell you about waxing?
believe they concluded that since the cars are coming from so far away (japan), that when they get here and shipped the clearcoat has "breathed" enough, and ready to apply wax.

I can ask around to one of the guys I work with who does body work on the side...guess he used to work for a toyota dealership...
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I heard at least 6 months and some have said a year but I would check with .
Old Jun 2, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

90 days from production
Old Jun 2, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by skibum
90 days from production
Exactally right, well at least thats what i've been told for about 4 years, since I've been detailing my whole highschool life and will continue throughout college.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Your car is ready to wax when you get it.

Remember, your car was built in Japan, shipped over by bigass boat, and then transported to your location. By the time you get it, the paint is ready for a nice wax job.

Your dealer probably waxed it for you pre-purchase with a crappy wax.

First thing i did was wash it with dish soap (to take off any crappy wax), then claybar to get the paint glass smooth (since I'd driven it about 100 miles before I could get to detail it), then put on two solid coats of the best wax I own (currently Meguiars Gold). I did the same for the wheels (waxing the wheels makes them much easier to clean in the future) with a lower quality wax.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Hey jedinite,

sounds like the zaino process, ever heard of that stuff??

any recommendations on Zaino either for or against?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnuba wax freakin rocks. Ive used MANY liquid and hard carnuba waxes and this one left my paint the softest!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine in March. The fallout here in Atlanta is very bad, plus I live near the RR tracks and have no garage ..... I've already had the car waxed twice and I've waxed it twice myself. The carwash people use cleaner wax products, supposedly clear coat safe. I use Zimol cleaner/polish.

I don't think there is anything wrong with frequent waxing as long as one uses the right products and not abrasives. The alternative is leaving your car's finish unprotected and under the hazzards of the elements...
Old Jun 2, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

I also washed mine with dish soap and used clay bar followed by polish and Meguires professional carnuba wax shortly after buying my Evo. I just polished and waxed it again today (two months since last polish/wax).
Old Jun 2, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I waxed mine after 1 week of getting the car and did it again after 6 month.. and Now I'm getting a new paint job.. Sorry but paint job is bad.. I want it more metalic and paint my EVO orange..
Old Jun 2, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JasonS
Hey jedinite,

sounds like the zaino process, ever heard of that stuff??

any recommendations on Zaino either for or against?
Zaino is good stuff. I'd recommend Zymol as a superior product though... http://www.zymol.com/
Old Jun 2, 2003, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

The DAY I got it home, I stripped off the factory wax and proceeded to Zaino the body and wheels with Z5 + ZFX three times, then the following day I did 2 layers of Z2 show car polish.

Every weekend from here on out, I will put 2 to 3 layers of Z2 until I'm completely satisfied that it's the sexiest black car on the street

The Zaino on the wheels only adds a little shine, but it's awesome protection against brake dust (the crap just falls right off).

I also used Black Magic rubber and plastic protectant on every ounce of rubber and plastic exposed to the sun, and used Black Magic tire shine product. Then, for Mothers products, I polished the chrome tip and protected + conditioned all the leather. The interior already came with a 5 year factory guaranteed chemical protectant similar (but allegedly superior) to Scotch Guard.

Along with a California car duster, a collection of 100% cotton US made detailing towels, and more than enough Z6 spray - this car is the cleanest on the block.

Quick Reply: How soon should I wax the Evo?