Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anybody garage their Evo for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody garage their Evo for the winter?

It's snowing again here in Chicago and it's another great day to own an Evo. I read another thread and saw a post from somebody in Chicago with a garaged Evo for the winter. This car is the most capable snow car I've ever owned. I can't imagine missing out on one of the best reasons to own an Evo. It's like having a smoking hot lady and never being able to see her in a swimsuit. Do you hide away your Evo from the snow?
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:44 AM

no, as it is the only car i have. If i had another car, i would leave the evo in garage but only to keep miles low
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I do put my Evo asleep in the winter. Number one I save money for car insurance for not having full coverage on. Two it keeps the car looking almost perfect shape. I show my car more and more in the summer so I would like to have a show car that I drive a lot and have fun with. Three it keeps the miles down on the thing. And 4 I dont have to waste money on 93 octane. Its beginning to be pretty exspencive around Milwaukee again. Most of all Winters do alot of corrosion on any vehicle and can mess it up badly. But I am a pretty picky guy so that makes a big difference. I am a detailer so I wax my car weekly, no lie.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope I drive i everyday! and its my only car, like saetern said I'd probably garage it also if I had a beater! but occasionaly take it out for some snow fun!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

I have not driven my car since november. But living in the city there is no reason for me to take it out of storage.

Salt > Mitsu paint
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

If I had the money for some snow/all-season tires, I would be driving it, but with the Advans........not happening. It is absolutley killing me to leave it parked in the garage though.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I think you misread the post, it says who keeps there car in a garage, I dont put my Evo away for winter, Its my DD. i posted a pic i that thread so i will post it again.

Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:24 PM

i bought my evo so i wouldnt have to garage it. i used to have a 350z that i'd garage every winter, and daily drive a mk2 gti. i got sick of having 2 cars, and especially sick of not getting to drive my nicer car, so i got the evo so i could enjoy it year round.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Right after I bought my Evo in Sept, I got a set of dedicated winter wheels and snow tire for it. But I haven't had my Evo out in snowy/icey Winter weather at all. It spent almost this entire winter season in the garage. It's too new and fresh and I couldn't stand the thought of getting roadsalt all over it.

I daily drive my old Nissan Sentra if there is any hint of rain, snow, or any remnants of salt on the road. I do still drive the Evo in the winter maybe 2 or 3 days a week.

Last edited by aklucsarits; Mar 2, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Mine's been in my storage garage for the last 2 months due to snow and gravel that they put down here . I see a couple of guys in town driving their evos and they always B*tch about paint damage so i don't drive mine at all during the winter season. I can't wait till spring .
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

i have driven my car 0.6 miles since the end of october. fun.

the weather has been nuts around me lately.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Nope. And miss some fun in the snow?

Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ibanez_926
Salt > Mitsu paint
That's why I garage mine. I have driven it a couple of times, but I like the car and driving it full time in the winter here ( Wisconsin) will shorten it's life span. I have a truck for the winter.

I am shocked at the number of people that do drive them here....especially with the stock Advans....not very bright

I had a 1997 GSX that I loved, but it was totally ruined by the road salt

Plus, I can actually work on my car with hand tools...the GSX, after a couple of winters, I had to use a blue tipped wrench to work on it. Well, the bolts that did not snap or weren't rusted to ****.

Last edited by gbpkr21; Mar 2, 2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
Admin Alumni

Evo's been in the garage since early December. I have a Jeep and a pickup for snow fun.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I put mine away for several reasons:

1. Save on insurance
2. Protect against the rocks and salt they put down
3. Protect against other drivers with bald all-season tires on
4. Winter wheels and tires were $1500, my beater was $3000 and I can use it to haul stuff, go through any condition, and put miles on since my commute is roughly 55 miles a day. (95 Subie Wagon)

IT sucks not having the Evo out, especially since I still make payments on it, but come spring, it'll be worth it. Only 1 more month!!!!

Quick Reply: Anybody garage their Evo for the winter?