Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo insurance vs C6 Z06 and BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

From: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Unfortunately for every good younger driver, there are dozens of really HORRIBLE younger drivers. Your track record as a driver doesn't really exist until you have spent some time driving and work your way up.

I know some drivers who are 19 who I would trust doing ANYTHING with a car, and there are some older drivers in their 30's and 40's I wouldn't go ANYWHERE near their car.

THe problem is statistically experience makes for better drivers, obviously there are exceptions but insurance companies can't really make case by case exceptions, at least for younger drivers because they have no history. At least take comfort in knowing that horrible older drivers are penalized and are put into assigned risk, and have high rates, why? Because their history shows their bad drivers.

High insurance rates for some cars are exclusively theft related, you can thank the low-baller cheap **** for that, the ones who will pay for stolen parts, or steal them themselves instead of doing it right. The Escalade is a good example of that. I can almost guarantee those aftermarket 20's have been on at least 3 different trucks.
yeah i kno this is very true. all i can do is just sit here and keep out of trouble and wait LOL i don't want to even think about what my evo insurance is going to be like
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Esurance Baby!!
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

I am through esurance i am 27 with no tickets

06 MR
92 Laser AWD (eclipse) 5k worth of mods coverd
88 Honda CRX HF

1399 every 6

so they break it down like this

06 EVO $647.33
92 Laser RS AWD $509.33
88 CRX HF $242.34
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

sweet when i get the C5 vette i want, my insurance will drop. w00t
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Man, I thought the insurance on the evo was not to bad, it is one of the cheapest cars I have ever insured.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

it all depends on age i'm 29 and pay $109/mo for full coverage with $50/ded for comp and $250/ded for collision.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I guess it depends on location also, mine is $1100 a year, my rsx was like $600 more a year. My TT was more also.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

You have to consider a lot of YOUNGER drivers drive the Evo, in comparison to the Z06 and BMW 335i, this usually results in a larger amount of accidents, which is the case. Insurace companies get ten times the amount of claims on the Lancer Evolution then those other vehicles. Also consider, though. GM has higher crash testing standards. The USDM Evo had to swap its bumper and add materials TO PASS crash testing here, which means it likely wasn't engineered against it. GMs usually have multiple side-curtain airbags, etc. For example, I have a CTS-V now, I pay $88 a month to insure it to well over $550,000 For Personal Injury, Bodily Injury, Collision, etc. with a $500 deductible. On my Evo I paid well over $120 monthly. People also modify Evo's like crazy, don't you think they know that, too? This forum is a dead give-a-way. It's dedicated to modifying these cars, insurance companies feel that it makes them less safe, as there's no testing evidence on an aftermarket suspension, turbo, etc. The electrical work performed on the cars could also be a result of safety system failure. It's not because the Z06 is more money, that's not the deciding factor. It's the fact that someone who can afford and drive a $75,000 car (Which has superior safety ratings and systems) is not going to drive it like a racer-boy with an evo.

Last edited by Varrius; Mar 13, 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

paying $75 a month for the Evo full coverage. No tickets, No points.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

When I first looked at getting an Evo, I got insurance quotes through several insurance companies (including the company that was insuring my current ride at the time, Metropolitan Insurance) and everyone was coming in around $2200-$2500 per year to insure an '06 IX MR. I decided to contact my homeowner's insurance carrier, Allstate, and they gave me a discount to cover my house & both my vehicle and my fiance's vehicle. So I'm only paying $1800 per year to cover my '06 IX MR and my fiance's fully loaded '04 Lincoln Navigator.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MFactor
Mine isn't too bad. I only pay $600 every six months. Then again I'm 28 years old, married, 4 year old daughter, multiple car discounts, no tickets, no accidents, and a very good credit score.

I think its key to get a good agent that you can really work with. My agent originally quoted $840 when he was just casually running the numbers. I told him that he needed to work on it and he did. Got it down to $600.
Same here. Mine is only $98 a month. No Tickets/Accidents, great score, 25 yrs old. I got it through American Family Insurance.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nk1124
wouldnt theft rates have something to do with insurance cost as well? possibly the evo is more of a vandalism/theft magnet than a vette is
Exactly... and it differs from state to state... as well as company. Not to mention driver record.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone added a cheap daily driver to their garage when their previous DD was an Evo? I'm thinking of getting something cheap and fuel efficient to commute to work in, and I was hoping that would actually help my insurance rates since the Evo would become an occasional use vehicle.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:58 AM

I work at USAA so of course I trust them with my all my auto and banking needs. Even though I can get lower rates somewhere else I feel insurance is like most things (you get what you pay for).
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

WRX to Evo.

Its all about how many cars are stolen and wrecked in your zip code, your driving history,and how many evo;s nationwide that have been broken into, stolen, and wrecked.

Since it seems like theres a thread on here every other day, about some spoiled rich kid whos parents bought him an evo, and he got reckless because he knows absolutely nothing about responsibility, and destroyed it. Or all the kids who get a bajillion speeding tickets in their evos.

PLUS the fact you live in Tucson..which is like a hour form the border. In a car thats stolen with a higher regularity than some Hondas now adays. Insurance is a *****, and a ripoff

Quick Reply: Evo insurance vs C6 Z06 and BMW 335i