Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone using a Ralliart drop in filter...?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone using a Ralliart drop in filter...?

not sure what the deal is, but it's just too big to go in the box... it will fit in the box if i put it in upside down... at least i think it is upside down...?

the Ralliart Logo should be facing up i assume, as there is a plastic honeycomb grid on this part of the filter, and the underside is just a green foam pad...

so what gives...?

anyone else using one of these...?

for $115 this thing should just drop right in...
Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the part number on the box????
Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

RA188657S3 ?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Anyone using a Ralliart drop in filter...?

Originally posted by Diesel
not sure what the deal is, but it's just too big to go in the box... it will fit in the box if i put it in upside down... at least i think it is upside down...?

the Ralliart Logo should be facing up i assume, as there is a plastic honeycomb grid on this part of the filter, and the underside is just a green foam pad...

so what gives...?

anyone else using one of these...?

for $115 this thing should just drop right in...
Diesel,

I am running a RalliArt drop in. It fits fine and there is only one available for the evo so I know u have the right one. I actually encountered the same problem. Your are trying to install it upside down .... you would THINK that the Ralliart logo faces up ... but it actually faces DOWN (the grill side & ralliArt logo down) if I remember correctly. Sorry but its no much of a show piece.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

so the green foam points up...?

if that's the deal, then i'm cool...

just hit me back...

Thanks guys...!
Old Jun 4, 2003, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Diesel
so the green foam points up...?

if that's the deal, then i'm cool...

just hit me back...

Thanks guys...!
Exactly ... since the stock air box doesn't open fully, it wouldn't diplay the filter much anyway even if the "RalliArt log side" was facing up. I believe RalliArt designed it this way because they wanted the grill and foam to be the on the bottom of the air box ... and that way the air would have more room to travel into the intake after passing through the foam and mesh grill (you'll notice more space in the top of the box with this filter opposed to the stock filter, and the intake port is freed up). Don't quote me on this ... it's just what I was told.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Do you Evos feel any difference at all after you install this filter?
Are these filters reusable/cleanable or do you need to throw them away and get new ones after a certain mileage?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

The logo is on the bottom so it does not get dirty.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ReHeat
Do you Evos feel any difference at all after you install this filter?
Are these filters reusable/cleanable or do you need to throw them away and get new ones after a certain mileage?
No this filter is washable and good for life (supposedly). I thought I felt the car pulling a little bit more freely after install, but it isn't a huge gain. It's also supposed to improve gas mileage but I'm not sure if it has. It's more for piece of mind than anything else .... and you can rest assured that it will keep dirt out of your intake as well unlike some of these racing suction kits where the filter has to be changed a monthly basis, lol. it appears ... at least in theory that it allows more air (volume) to enter the intake, but it's not a huge gain in power as with most aftermarket air intakes. I decided to go with it until I can find an open air filter kit that proves to add a substantial increase in power ... the kits that are currently out add power ... but not as much as I would like, and they are more for hearing a cool pssssssshhhhhhhttt sound or hearing the BOV more if anything. Just my two cents.

Last edited by evo1; Jun 4, 2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

What other drop-in type air filters are people using in their EVO's?? K&N...?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wmcorcor
What other drop-in type air filters are people using in their EVO's?? K&N...?
Yup ... K&N and Monster Sport. You can check out Vivid Racing for more info.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evo1

No this filter is washable and good for life (supposedly). I thought I felt the car pulling a little bit more freely after install, but it isn't a huge gain. It's also supposed to improve gas mileage but I'm not sure if it has. It's more for piece of mind than anything else .... and you can rest assured that it will keep dirt out of your intake as well unlike some of these racing suction kits where the filter has to be changed a monthly basis, lol. it appears ... at least in theory that it allows more air (volume) to enter the intake, but it's not a huge gain in power as with most aftermarket air intakes. I decided to go with it until I can find an open air filter kit that proves to add a substantial increase in power ... the kits that are currently out add power ... but not as much as I would like, and they are more for hearing a cool pssssssshhhhhhhttt sound or hearing the BOV more if anything. Just my two cents.

Nice, thanks for the info
Old Jun 4, 2003, 07:24 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

I would not expect to see any significant gains from an intake modification for a basically stock motor until someone brings a true CAI unit to the market. APS has one for the VII but has not yet confirmed that it will work with the VIII or the US EVO.

PS - Not interested in re-opening the CAIs don't increase performance on turbo cars because of the turbo's inherrent heat ,thank you very much.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Speaking just for myself I want a drop-in filter (no modifications) to get better air-flow without sacrificing reliable filtering. Also having a cleanable filter element is better than buyng one cheap one after another. In the other turbo cars I've owner I had noticeable, althought not dramatic gains from a K&N drop-in filter.

Personally I don't plan any mechanical mods since I don't race this car and I'd rather not play warranty roulette. Also after modding out three other cars it gets a little old having to take the car to 5 different mechanics depending on what you think may be broken.

I will do cosmetic and simple drop-in mods but that's it and I think the air filter is an easy one.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wmcorcor
In the other turbo cars I've owner I had noticeable, althought not dramatic gains from a K&N drop-in filter.
K&N is fine just be careful not to ever over-oil it. Personally, I like K&N just as much and it is actually cheaper than the RalliArt, but I was initially attracted to the fact that RalliArt made a filter that is specially designed for evo so one would think that they performed more R&D on what works ... also foam filters are less maintance ... no oiling, etc. The bottom line ... any foam or K&N is better than a stock paper element ... so that should be the final answer.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a Ralliart drop in filter...?