Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any one heard anything new?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2002, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Any one heard anything new?

Has any one heard anything about the realease date??? My dealer said atleast 12 months... but i have read anything from early August to Late Febuary. Any ways just wonderin what you guys have heard... The wait is killing me
Old Mar 16, 2002, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

January 2003

See the picture.....
Attached Thumbnails Any one heard anything new?-evo7_03.jpg  
Old Mar 16, 2002, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I think I can send some good news to all about the release of the EVO7. I work for a dealership and have just spoken to our DPSM on friday. I can tell you this.

The car is coming!
It will be released in Jan 03'.
There will be a commercial for the EVO7 at the next Superbowl!
It will be price around $28!
It will be more then 250HP!

If you are looking for a good deal on one, forget it!! Dealer are going to mark then up. Not to much, but enough. Even though I work for a dealer, I am still going to pay about $500 over MSRP. which is fine by me! My GM has promised me the first one off the truck, but I will not be able to drive it home for about 30 days. It will stay in the showroom and there will be no test drives. Not even the salemen get to drive it. We dont have a big dealership, so we will probably only get 2-3 EVO's. But I will be the first to get it here.

BTW: If the dealership is going to allow for test drives, I would wait for the next one to arrive. You know what everyone is going to do to that car!
Old Mar 16, 2002, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the awesome picture and the good news. Just don't get fired from your job!
Old Mar 17, 2002, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

What show was that picture from?

Nick
Old Mar 17, 2002, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone know what show, when and where that was presented?
Old Mar 17, 2002, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A car is a car...

I know everybody in the world is going to want to test drive this car.
But in the end, it is a car, and I haven't sold a car yet to somebody
without letting them drive it first. I mean, I don't make much determination of whether a person can afford a $38,000 Montero, so
I can't do the same for someone looking at a $24-$32K Evolution.

Now, with that PC crap out of the way, it's like this... More then likely there won't be any test drives with out some from of credit ap being filled out first. And we know what people do to cars, so there won't be any excess miles run up from people who just want to joyride. But as far as me buying one and then my boss making me keep it on the lot for 30 days? Ha...ha ha - I'd like to see them try!

See you in December.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

That picture is from the La auto show. I know cause i was there i have it on camcorder.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's dumb for people that pay over msrp for ANY car. I would not buy a car from any ripoff dealer out to screw people for as much over msrp as they can. I am getting my Evo for BELOW msrp. As soon as the dealer can put their orders in I will get to pick what options/color I want.
If less people refused to pay over msrp, less dealers would do it. You only add to the problem when you let them rip you off. Think of it as throwing money away.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But as far as me buying one and then my boss making me keep it on the lot for 30 days? Ha...ha ha - I'd like to see them try!

He is not making me do anything. They are not going to sell the car for 30 days. It will probably be only 2-3 that our dealership will get, so they want to keep it on the lot for as long as possible.

Now, with that PC crap out of the way, it's like this... More then likely there won't be any test drives with out some from of credit ap being filled out first. And we know what people do to cars, so there won't be any excess miles run up from people who just want to joyride.

That is so much bull ****! You can fill out a credit ap and do all the things your supose to do, test drive and rag the **** out of the car, then just walk away from the deal. If your in sales, then you know this is true. There is a BIG difference in a Montero and the EVO, dah. There are tons of Monteros out there, but a limited # of EVO's. The EVO is a sports car and the Montero is just another Lux SUV. Ask your sales manager how many people actually test drove the 3kGT spyders and VR4's when they where out. Probably count them on one hand.

All I am saying is that there will not be any test drives on my EVO.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

The point I was trying to make about comparing the Montero to the Lancer was the sake of the cost of the vehicle. By filling out a credit
ap and determining if the person is at least qualified to buy the vehicle
you at least take care of the scores of kids/slash twentysomethings
who just want to fullfill their Gran Turismo fantasies, with no intentions
or means of buying the car. Those that pass will get a chance to drive it.
And yes I am in sales, and it does help when you pre-qualify a customer
at times, to put their mindset into buying. We know when someone
is just yanking our chain, and those types will be handled accordingly.
I've been on many a test drive in fast cars, rare ones too - a Viper, a Vette Z06, Mustang Cobras, Camaros SS - all capable of killing me and the customer if driven out of control (hell, a Camry can do that) and if I feel like that person is going to exceed those limits, then the test drive is over. Don't worry, they'll make enough of them, some us will
just have to be more patient then others.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the low down on test drives.

If a dealer is having trouble moving cars off the lot, then let the public test drive. When the dealer only receives 1-2 cars a year there is no need for a test drive. People are lining up to buy the car without a test drive. Typically the owner will give it a quick supervised drive before signing the paper work just to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with the car. This is standard pratice for any high end sports car dealership.
For sports cars that have higher production numbers like the C5 the dealer will typically have one car set aside for test drives that will be discounted a bit at the end of the year if it has not yet sold. The BMW dealer here in SanJose did have a M3 to demo, but I wouldnt bother asking unless I was a previous customer, or pulled up in a newer BMW.
About the only exception to this rule is the 'long term customer' exemption. Typically a dealership will have a small base of loyal long term customers that the dealership can 'trust' I have seen people take cars and motorcycles for days, even weeks at a time for test drives. Typically this does not happen for 'new' low volume cars in demand unless you are really good friends with the dealer.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Turbo442
Here is the low down on test drives.

If a dealer is having trouble moving cars off the lot, then let the public test drive. When the dealer only receives 1-2 cars a year there is no need for a test drive. People are lining up to buy the car without a test drive. Typically the owner will give it a quick supervised drive before signing the paper work just to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with the car. This is standard pratice for any high end sports car dealership.
For sports cars that have higher production numbers like the C5 the dealer will typically have one car set aside for test drives that will be discounted a bit at the end of the year if it has not yet sold. The BMW dealer here in SanJose did have a M3 to demo, but I wouldnt bother asking unless I was a previous customer, or pulled up in a newer BMW.
About the only exception to this rule is the 'long term customer' exemption. Typically a dealership will have a small base of loyal long term customers that the dealership can 'trust' I have seen people take cars and motorcycles for days, even weeks at a time for test drives. Typically this does not happen for 'new' low volume cars in demand unless you are really good friends with the dealer.
Haha... my local dealership had a new M3 to demo too. My friend and I went for him to test drive it, and he has a supercharged '97 M3. The salespeople wouldn't even look at us. I was never more pissed off in my life. I know we are only 20 years old, but neither one of us are typical 20 year olds.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 05:45 AM

test drives

When (in a former life) I wanted a mustang Cobra, and was 23 years old, the dealer laughed and offered to let me test drive a base model mustang with him in the car. Years later my mitsu dealer called me when the 1999 3000GT VR-4 came in "Wanna give it a spin?". That was after buying a 1996 3000GT SL and a Montero from him. IN the beginning no one will get to drive it but the dealer's buddy's and long term customers, but heck, you could walk into a Subaru dealer now and test drive a WRX. Try that when they first started trickling in!
Old Mar 18, 2002, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I do know this. We aren't going to be holding anything for
30 days, just so it can stay on the lot for a while, test drives
or no test drives. If somebody walks in the door and wants to buy
one and they are ready, willing and able to deal...they'll be rolling
that day. Believe that.

Quick Reply: Any one heard anything new?