Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi Eclipse Evolution?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi Eclipse Evolution?

Day and night i dream about combining the beatiful sleek body of a '95-'97 Eclipse with the performance of an Evo. For example, take an AWD turbo Eclipse GSX, and swap in the whole front clip from a J-spec Evo. There are a few firms here that sell clips directly from Japan.
Now this would be a one very agressive Eclipse
What do u guys think of this?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

my friend just swapped a evo 3 motor into his 95 talon... nothin but problems thus far. sounded good, but ALOT of work.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:22 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is nothing rally about eclipse Why ruin a good thing. Evo rocks.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

oh, if your interested he will sell it..... needs tuning. idles rough, CEl on, needs new bov, yadda yadda
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Nuthin wrong if people want adventure... thats what makes them happy.. Then frustrated at the end... So yeah... Nuthin wrong if you wanna fulfill your dreams!! Go ahead and do it!! Thats gon be wild!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:11 PM

I think knows better than to associate the "Evolution" name with something as hopelessly incompetent as the Eclipse.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:17 PM

I think knows better than to associate the "Evolution" name with something as hopelessly incompetent as the Eclipse.
That is just an ignorant statement. The eclipse is keep Mitsu afloat. Y does everyone here think the Evo is GOD? I like the car, but come on its a econobox with a turbo thrown on it.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MENTY
That is just an ignorant statement. The eclipse is keep Mitsu afloat. Y does everyone here think the Evo is GOD? I like the car, but come on its a econobox with a turbo thrown on it.
Nah, the Dodge Omni GLH was an econobox with a turbo thrown on it. The new Dodge Neon SRT-4 is an econobox with a turbo thrown on it.

The Evo is a thing of beauty from an engineering stand-point - they didn't just dump in a turbo and call it a day. It's a ground up purpose-built rally car that kicks a$$ in turn, slides and it straight lines

For what it's worth - I like Eclipse's too... especially the GSX.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 01:04 AM

I'd say the Evo is an econobox with a turbo, some nice suspension bits, chassis reinforcements, Brembos, AWD, and a big-*** wing thrown on it..

Anyways, this thread reminds me of the BMW threads/wars about whether dropping a S38 or even a LS6 into an E30 M3 would make it not a "true" M3, etc, etc...
Old Jun 6, 2003, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by soapsuds
I'd say the Evo is an econobox with a turbo, some nice suspension bits, chassis reinforcements, Brembos, AWD, and a big-*** wing thrown on it..

Anyways, this thread reminds me of the BMW threads/wars about whether dropping a S38 or even a LS6 into an E30 M3 would make it not a "true" M3, etc, etc...

W3rd to that. an LS6??? Why not just buy a camaro to drop that in, seeing as that would save a lot of money.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

The Eclipse GSX has the same basic engine as the Evo. Why would you want to put an Evo engine in it?

Actually, the only reason to do it would be to get the better transmission. But it would be very difficult to get the Evo IV+ engine and tranny into the Eclipse. The engine is mirrored in the engine bay compared to the Eclipse.

Instead, just swap in a $600 16G turbocharger, a $450 intercooler, some 550 injectors, 3" exhaust, and DSMLink and you too can do this:
http://www.offsitens.com/vids/josh1254run.wmv

The front suspension of the 2G Eclipse is a double wishbone setup instead of the struts that the Evo has. Set up correctly, I believe that the Eclipse's suspension can be superior to that of the Evo. The camber curves of a double wishbone setup are just superior to that of a strut setup. If only Eclipses had forged aluminum suspension components.

But hey, if Mitsubishi wantend to offer a setup like this, I'd certainly welcome it. But I think that the current Eclipse with such a drivetrain would just price itself out of its intended audience.

Last edited by ShapeGSX; Jun 6, 2003 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 08:58 AM

I am not sure it anyone could properly say the Evolution is an econobox with a turbo... If I recall, the EVO only shares a FEW parts with the standard Lancer... The only body panels are the trunk lid and the roof panel if I recall correctly. The idea that the Evolution is a standard Lancer with a turbo, rims, brakes, seats, etc. is completely false…

I remember conversations like this around the Integra Type R… It may have looked like an Integra, but when you really learned the actual differences it was quite staggering… It is my understanding that it is much more the case with the Evolution and the Lancer.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 97itr153
Wanna race? My car is "hopelessly incompetent." You should win no problem, right?
Old Jun 6, 2003, 09:14 AM

Not me! I have already been stomped by a GSX.. The guy had a nice setup... I could hang down low, top end I was WAY back... I was stock at the time.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Eclipse Evolution?