Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil filter diagram?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denso Filter

You can buy the Denso Filter at Sparkplugs.com part number 150-1010 I believe, you can recheck on the site. Its the same filter sold through Mits without the Mits logo. Not much of a savings though I have noticed since I pay about $5 a filter at Mits, and the Denso ones run $4.80 online. K&N makes a good filter, but the problem is the one they recomend for the Evo is the same filter for the Standard Lancer ES. That filter is narrower and taller vs. the subby but wider diameter Evo OEM one. Oil capacity may equal the same, but the K&N Oil filter pretrudes past the air dam on the bottom of the car, which could mena it can get hit by debris, and or cause drag on the car. It may be minimal, but everything about the Evo is done for a purpose. I emailed K&N about this over a month ago and still have had no response.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 03:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all i have to say is that Mitsu uses a paper filtering element,,, if you want my opinion i say they are junk,,, how can u use a paper filter for a car of this caliber.

i say glass media filter types all the way.

keep us updated,,, pm me with results when you get them.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter

I understand your point about the OEM filters. Most tuners that I personally know here in SoCal all use the OEM filters on their race cars. A couple of guys run the K&N filter because it has the wire tie on the welded nut on the filter. This keeps them in compliance with the safety regulations to pass tech for racing. I personally have used the OEM filters on 3 seperate Evo's with my current car with over 300 dyno pulls, as well as track use and Not one failure due to the oil filter. So I think this one is a fluke, that as unfortunate as it is, is a 1 in a million. As for the Glass to paper debate? well, if you change your oil as recomended, paper filter is fine. Glass filters are highly recomended for extended drain intervals of which should not be done an Evo either.