Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mph change without any mod change...??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mph change without any mod change...??

ok..so i had my car tuned about 6 weeks ago by pruven..the car put out plenty of power for the mods it had.. i brought it to the track and the car went 12.60 at 108..with a 1.7 60 ft...no cel....keep in mind i had it tuned in 35 degree weather...and when i went to the track it was pretty close to the same temp...
tonight i went to the track...havent done any mods to the car..but it was a nice day out...about 80 degrees today with some humidity...the first run...the car puts out a 13.3 at 104....the lowest i could get the car to go was 13.1..at 104...i lost 4mph for some reason..it had a cel..which was po171...running lean in one cylinder...and po300..random misfire..which i had fixed with my reflash by pruven...i deleted the codes and put some 103 in the car....the codes havent come back..but the car still wouldnt pass the 104mph...
could this be because of the weather change?
or maybe i fowled a spark plug...
anything to help would be great
thanks
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We make less power in hotther weather, but 4 mphs seems like a bit much.

You may have "fowled" a plug, but that really depends on if you stuffed chickens in your cylinder head. Only you can answer that...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:31 PM

IMO it sounds like the weather.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Your boost is also probably a bit lower too.

out of curiosity, they say you gain 1% HP for evey 10 degrees lost, does anyone have a correlation to boost? you know for every 10 degrees colder you gain (blank)% boost??? really good info to know.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:40 PM

You have to be careful, I know that codes can stay hidden and not illuminate a light. You may want to scan it again to made sure because unless it was really humid that shouldnt be
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

the car has a full buscher intercooler kit...and the piping had never really been hot...but today it was ridiculously hot...i was just talking to a buddy of mine..he was saying that since my car has a flash and it was tuned in really cold weather that it almost acts like a carburated car and is locked in to that one tune...do you think that makes sense...
the only reason i said maybe a fowled plug is because of that CEL of po171 one cylinder running lean....that code has never came up before...

either way im going to pull them tomorrow and probably replace them...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

I was hoping my chicken reference would help you realize that the word is "fouled" and not "fowled." Chicken = fowl. Foul = rotten.

It is a great idea to put in fresh plugs, but you would know if your plugs were fouled, because it would be sputtering under boost. You should find out the cause of those codes and try to remedy them rather than just clearing the codes. You should also do a boost leak test to ensure the system is tight.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

lol my bad about the "fowled"..the only reason i just deleted the codes is because i had nothing else to do for the time being...thats why i put the 103 octane in the car to try and let it run a little richer..pruven did a boost leak test to the car when it was tuned and it had a slight leak at the bov flange..."buschur kits" supposivly notorious for that leak...other than that everything seems tight..i dont have any odd sounds
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:55 PM

I was under the impression you fixed the problem then had the loss of power... Yea dude check your plugs and start diagnosing you don't want to make passes when you have undefined error codes your just going to screw things up more
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jezefink
lol my bad about the "fowled"..the only reason i just deleted the codes is because i had nothing else to do for the time being...thats why i put the 103 octane in the car to try and let it run a little richer..pruven did a boost leak test to the car when it was tuned and it had a slight leak at the bov flange..."buschur kits" supposivly notorious for that leak...other than that everything seems tight..i dont have any odd sounds
Well, when you were tuned, the car was faster, so I'm not interested in the fact that they did a boost leak test back then. You need to do one NOW that you are making much less power. That's the whole point - it could be a new boost leak causing your loss of power. That's why you do the boost leak test.

Supposivly is not a word.

103 octane doesn't randomly make you run richer.

Things can't "seem" tight. You have to actually test them. You would not hear the boost leak.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

i had the po300 fixed..and was told that it might come back...its a common problem with the 03's...but the po171 this was the first time..has anyone had this code thrown
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jezefink
ok..so i had my car tuned about 6 weeks ago by pruven..the car put out plenty of power for the mods it had.. i brought it to the track and the car went 12.60 at 108..with a 1.7 60 ft...no cel....keep in mind i had it tuned in 35 degree weather...and when i went to the track it was pretty close to the same temp...
tonight i went to the track...havent done any mods to the car..but it was a nice day out...about 80 degrees today with some humidity...the first run...the car puts out a 13.3 at 104....the lowest i could get the car to go was 13.1..at 104...i lost 4mph for some reason..it had a cel..which was po171...running lean in one cylinder...and po300..random misfire..which i had fixed with my reflash by pruven...i deleted the codes and put some 103 in the car....the codes havent come back..but the car still wouldnt pass the 104mph...
could this be because of the weather change?
or maybe i fowled a spark plug...
anything to help would be great
thanks
If I was you considing Pruven worked on your car I would inspect and make sure you don't have any zip ties lose because you know they love that tool.