Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock Speakers with Aftermarket Head unit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2003, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Speakers with Aftermarket Head unit?

Usually, stock speakers are ok when you put a new cd player in, but I read somewhere that the Evo's speakers are like 15w. That's hell. I figure they wouldn't do very good. I was just wondering about some other owner's opinions. I have 6x9's that i can throw in, but i'd have to get some 6 1/2's too.

So just let me know either way, sucks, good enough, not bad at all....

Thanks,
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

sounds good with aftermarket radio - just cant have too much bass. with aftermarket radio and sub 10'' or 12'' to me it sounds great.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought the factory system was rated at around 120 watts. It's basicly the same setup used in the other mitsu lines (i.e. Lancer)
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

The Lancers speakers I know are also 15W and they do have a pretty good sound with an aftermarket unit. Specifically, the bass is pretty good for the paper surrounds, but the highs aren't crisp at all. Obviously, it's better to replace them as well, but it won't be too bad.
-N
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

stock system is 140w
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:42 AM

replace the stock speakers if your changing the head unit .....that "one time" you turn it up you'll blow the stock one's if your new head unit pushes any kind of power (more than the 15W speakers that are in them)
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Replace the stock speakers, THEY SUCK! You're better off keeping the stock H/U and replacing the speakers. That's what I'm going to do, keep stock H/U, replace all speakers, install my EQ, amps and sub.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

2 months ago I spent $1200 on a sirius head unit, antantea, reciver, MB quart 2 ways, and MB quart componets ( both being the second ones from the bottom line, and a Memphis 50x4 amp. All I can say is that the stock unit wasnt that bad compared to what mine is like now. It only seems $300 better, if that makes any scence? And satelite radio isnt that great either.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Sound is only as good as the components used. If your using 2nd up from bottom of the line then it's going to sound like just that. I mean my $8,000 Energy home theatre sounds like an $8,000 home theatre infact i'd rather watch movies in there then at a public theatre.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

The stock speakers sucked with an alipne head - So I got some quart q series - that was nice
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by J'sLancerLS
Replace the stock speakers, THEY SUCK! You're better off keeping the stock H/U and replacing the speakers. That's what I'm going to do, keep stock H/U, replace all speakers, install my EQ, amps and sub.
Thats not true. It is always better to overpower speakers than to underpower them. Most speaker damage is from distortion. Trying to turn the volume to high on good speakers with a head unit that can't meet the power requirements.
It is true that you could blow them with too much power, but it is much less likely.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

True distortion is what pops speakers.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I have an idea, what does everyone think??

Move the CD Player (might be a new deck for XM or MP3, but not sure) to the spot that is below the air/heat controls. You know, that little pocket place. A local stereo store told me they did it for another EVO already and it looked pretty sweet.
After that, I was thinking about purchasing the factory gauge package that Mitsu sometimes installs down there, but putting it where the CD player is currently. More of a head's up display.
Comments??
Old Jun 8, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

seen it done... Those gauges are @$$ for $600+ go buy after market gauges and install those. Give me 600 bux i'll sell you gauges better then mitsu.. hahahah
Old Jun 8, 2003, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, so it will work with moving the deck down! That's good to know. I guess the dealer could get me that piece?? I've emailed them just now.
I want a gauge set that looks more stock - recessed into the dash or something. I don't want something poking up on the steering wheel, or sitting on the dash! Reccomendations?

Quick Reply: Stock Speakers with Aftermarket Head unit?