Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo/srt-4

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo/srt-4

i have a big dilema.

1st-has anyone up'd the boost on the evo 8 and stayed within warranty.

2nd- i had my heart really set on and evolution until my best friend beat one. he has an srt-4 with a little mod. I am trying to decide whether to get the neon or the evo. i love the evo but if i cant mod itt and keep my warranty then whats the point of getting it. I dont wanna get the car and take everyone out of the whole and then have them cruise by me at 60.

what should i do????

thanks,
Rob
Old Jun 8, 2003, 03:31 AM

put a little mod on the evo and u'll beat one trust me dude evo will own the srt4
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:01 AM

What makes you think the Neon stays under warranty with mods and he EVO does not?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Stock for stock the Evo owns the SRT-4. Even if the "one mod" your friend did with his Neon makes him a littler faster in a straight line, he's still sub-par in everything else (braking, turning, looking cool , interior quality, and build quality).

The Evo is a way better foundation for mods too. Getting a fuel and boost management package will give you loads of power and is probably easy to take off if you want to take it back to the dealership.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:53 AM

you can mod the srt-4 and still void you warrenty.
even with the mopar parts, dodge says they will void the warrenty.
get the evo it's a better car overall. Plus it's AWD. The srt-4 is just front wheel. you mod the srt enough and your going to have traction problems.

just like AvatarOfWar said stock for stock you will own a srt.
Just get the evo and mod it then you will beat them for sure.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason I would get a SRT 4 is if the Evo was outside my budget limit... I recomended one to a friend last night that couldn't afford an Evo... In that price range it owns... just like the Evo and Sti own in their's.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

What mod did your best friends srt4 have? How did he "beat" an evo? If it was on the street and the evo was stuck in traffic I can understand, but at a track, or in a known competing situation such as a roll from 30 mph. Talking to both drivers before and after.

I don't believe with both properly driven srt4 with "little mod" and any evo would be close under a known agreed upon competing situation.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:23 AM

Honestly,if you have to ask that question just get the SRT-4 ,but dont compare a SRT-4 to and Evo. The evo is a world class high-performance rally car for people that know what they want .
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Motor Trend or Car and Driver did a comparo of cars in their class. The EVO was tested against Z06, SVT Cobra and exotics such as Lotus, Lambo's, Jag, Viper, Molsen Photon etc. The same issue compared the SRT-4 with its class...... an SVT Focus and a Mazda MX6.

Speedlimit....
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

ya... i'm with those guys... your friend that said he beat an EVO? take that with a grain of salt, bud. just look at the numbers; there's no way that neon could beat an evo, unless the 'minor mod' was like a stage 2 turbo upgrade. i might consider the SRT-4 over the LANCER... but over the EVOLUTION? man, there's no way.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

I test drove an SRT-4. Nice car for the money no doubt. It handled much better than I had expected for having such skinny tires. I didn't like it only b/c when you're inside the cabin its like being inside a bubble....the way the windshield and glass is shaped. It just felt strange to me. But the performance was all there and at that price you'd have plenty left over to modify it with the Mopar staged upgrades.

Jesse
Old Jun 8, 2003, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't underestimate those SRT-4s, though. Even though Evos will smash on SRT-4s stock-for-stock or mod-for-mod, don't forget that Evos are over $8,000 more, and you could do a lot to an SRT-4 with the difference. Those turbo'd Dodges are MEAN (high 13s!), and turbo lag is not really a big issue. But it does have its weak points: FWD, "rent-a-car" interior, tall shifter that feels like crap, etc.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

and it's a dodge neon. ...
Old Jun 8, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

ive heard that the srt4 is just as fast, if not faster than the evo from a rolling type race (from another evo owner) and when i drove the srt4 (3 people with a/c on) it pulled way harder than the evo does with 3 people and a/c on. but they are cars in 2 different categories. the dodge is a sport compact car. the evo is a high performance sports car. the dodge is in a completely different class and if you drive the 2 of them you should immediately know which one you want.

warranty wise - whenever you modify your car you technically void the warranty. but most mods wont break or damage anything causing you to have to take your car in for work under waranty. if a mod does mess something up, you take it off and remove all items related to it then take the car in and should be fine.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

SRT4 are ugly dude

Quick Reply: evo/srt-4