Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo power and boost question.......do you feel the same?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo power and boost question.......do you feel the same?

I was just wondering if any other evo owner out there has this same feeling......

Lately, my evo 8 feels like it's hitting a wall. I have a boost gauge and everything is just where it should be, no problems there. No intake leaks, no troubles, but for some reason, when the car peaks at close to 19psi, then begins to drop a little, it feels as if the car just doesn't really go anywhere. It could be that i am just used to the car now, i've only had it for almost a month. It feels slugish like the A/C is on or something, but it's not. I dunno, it just feels like after peaking boost, it lags, but it could just be how i'm interpretting the feeling of the slight boost loss from 19 to it's 15-16psi. I have an open filter (RMR) on the car too, and it doesn't seem to be an issue related to the filter, (only performance mod so far). THe top end just seems to lag badly, again, like the ac is on or something. It only feels this way in 2nd and 3rd gears really. 5th gear is great at any throttle point, but 2nd and 3rd seem to just lag. But then again it could just be me, and how i am getting really used to the new car.
car still hauls A**, and is still great, just curious if anyone else has felt this.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 04:57 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

It's partly you getting used to it, but the Evo runs super rich up top and that robs it of a good amount of whp as well. I would recommend some for of engine management, either a S-AFC, ECU reflash, XEDE, Greddy E-Manage, etc.

There's a ton of posts about these mods, so I would recommend doing a search on each one to see which you prefer. You can also contact the manufacturers to see if they can help with your decision.

Mark
Old Jun 8, 2003, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Personally, I think the "hit" that I feel at 5000 or so is more timing pull than boost related. Would love to see the data on that. It would be great to see a graph of the timing at open loop on a 2nd or 3rd gear run.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:06 AM

I have to say that just adding an S-AFC and an MBC really helped my car. It pulls all the way to redline now.