Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put me down as another person interested in cheap wheels plus snow tires

If they're just going to get gravel and salt thrown into them, I'd rather not get something showier than my summer rims.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

After losing my Vortech supercharged '02 Mustang GT with only 4k miles on the odometer this last winter on nasty ice, I'm definately in for the first group purchase of winter tires and wheels!
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

only tires for me... i'll be using the stockers for winter...

Volks in da summer...
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yep, I'm in too. And I know we have a couple tirerack peeps that are on here, so hopefully they can help us work something out.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:06 AM

I'm up for a set of Alpines in stock size also. Have used them on my Diamonte and Outback and they are great. Wear well and stick like glue.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:28 AM

If we can get a tire dealer to give us a group discount, would it matter to them if everyone bought the same brand and size of tire/wheel or would it only matter to them on the quantity of the purchase regardless of size and brand? If it was quantity, then everyone could order whatever they preferred.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in for a cheap combo package.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking some thing more like this......... http://www.avsport.net/?pid=232

$ 120 for each rim, with a top snow tire for around $100 each, I think I will go with 205/65/15 or 195/65/15. I'm staying with some thiner tires, thay are much better in the snow

The whole deal could be had for around $ 880, Thats not to bad but I have to look into see if the rims will fit the EVO VIII ? I think thay do Thay fit IV,V,VI its all good..............

RALLY ON ////////////////////////
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TOMMY B
think I will go with 205/65/15 or 195/65/15. I'm staying with some thiner tires, thay are much better in the snow
Maybe its just me, but please tell me how you plan on fitting 15" rims on a car that just barely clears the calipers with 17" rims???
Are you going to do a brake downgrade to lancer stock brakes for the winter?

I agree that thinner and taller tires are much better for snowy/wet conditions and that is why I was going to go with 225/50's... maybe 205/60's? But I have a feeling you'll have to stick with 17" rims....
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thats a can of corn,

I'm pretty sure that the Group N Wheels fit right over the Nice Brakes we have.

Most rally cars run 15" tires in the snow/mud anyway the link I posted above is from a rally related web page.

RALLY ON //////////////////
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

The link above that you posted does not mention the Evo 8 (or the evo 7 as a matter of fact). Please show us a picture of an Evo 8 with 15" rims on it (or even 16's).

Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but I'll stick to my story unless I'm proven otherwise.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TOMMY B

Thats a can of corn,

I'm pretty sure that the Group N Wheels fit right over the Nice Brakes we have.

Most rally cars run 15" tires in the snow/mud anyway the link I posted above is from a rally related web page.

RALLY ON //////////////////
Fyi, the brakes/caliper setup on those cars (per event) are a bit different for mud/snow conditions, hence the 15' wheels.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

...the braking requirement needed (forces generated) on dry asphalt are a little different for mud and snow. Hence the larger brakes larger rims/tyres for dry asphalt conditions.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:43 PM
CMC

205/50/17's appear to be an alternative, especially if you get a narrower wheel. They are just a few tenths smaller in overall diameter.

Through Discount Tire you can get Semperit Sport Grip's (an old european brand now owned by Continental) in 235/45/HR17 size for $115.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 02:13 PM

There is a bunch of bad info here. The rolling circumference must stay the same so it is necessary to downsize to a 16" if one opts for a taller, skinnier aspect ratio. That would be MUCH better in the snow. The 235/45/17, even with a Blizzak, would be very limited. The contact patch needs to be reduced significantly or the tires plane in snow, no mattter how good the tire.
A cheap *** steel wheel (painted black, hideous but cool in it's own utilitarian way) is far better than an alloy for the winter. LOTS stronger. Tire Rack will have a cheapo steel rim with the proper offset.
Just my opinion, but I've run through the Michelin Arpin, Dunlop, Blizzak, and Yokohama Guardex on all wheel drive sedans over the last ten years and the best tire in deeper snow is the Yoko because of it's aggressive tread pattern. It also wears well. The best Winter tire for slippery stuff overall is the Blizzak, no doubt. All these new generation snows have sipes to grip but only the Blizzak has the dual compound multicell (they invented it, they have a patent). There is a price to pay in wear, however. Two winters, three if you're lucky.
Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires