Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2003, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by chopdaddy
Most people in this thread aren't thinking everything fully through. Why buy winter wheels? Winter tires, yes. But winter wheels? No thanks. If I'm opening my wallet to buy wheels, I'm buying 18's or 19's to run in the summer. I'll use my stock wheels for the winter and just buy winter rubber.
The reason is that some people want to get a narrower rim (7 or 7.5) in order to put on a narrower tire (225, 215 or 205) for the winter.

I started another GroupBuy Winter Tire thread in the Wheel & Tire forum. It may be worthwhile reading it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=33609
Old Aug 7, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Discount Tire

I called two Discount Tire stores. Both looked up the Yokohama AVS Winter (H rated) and they quoted $224. Michilin Pilot Alpine (V rated) is $193 and Blizzak LM22 (H rated) is $192.

All quotes were for 235/45/17 and they include mounting, balancing, flat repair, disposal and lifetime tire rotation. I am supposed to get a return call before Aug 11 with group buy discount information.

Does anybody know if the above quotes are decent prices? Free tire rotation sounds good to me and it is one less reason to have to visit the dealer.

Last edited by xphillipjrx; Aug 7, 2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Group Buy

I spoke to a tire dealer in Illinois. He is quoting $675 for a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins. This is out the door installed and without tax. 15 people are required for us all to get this rate. Is this a good deal?

He also said 5-10% off of wheels for those who want them.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the dealer gave you a pretty good price.
The installation is nice but how are others going to get the installation done if we live far away? Also, we would need shipping instead.

So, if you are local, that is a pretty good deal as it includes install and all.

For us that need shipping and have to install on our own....
Old Aug 14, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Midwest Evos

Originally posted by xtnct
how are others going to get the installation done if we live far away?
Yeah, I should have mentioned that this applies to those of us in the mid-west. Six of us met a couple of weeks ago. I think 15 is within reason to get this price. Please spread the word.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:05 AM

I've been starting to think about a good (yet cheap) Winter setup, and something to maybe have some rally fun too, without tearing-up the stock summer setup. Cheap steelies with whatever tire is good for me (except I can't do Dunlop - had a blowout on a brand new Civic once and instead of their customer service helping, their lawyer called me and long-story-short, they didn't replace the tire - I'm not fond of them).

Count me interested in the group buy, though.

Evo 2003.5
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evo2003.5
I've been starting to think about a good (yet cheap) Winter setup, and something to maybe have some rally fun too, without tearing-up the stock summer setup. Cheap steelies with whatever tire is good for me (except I can't do Dunlop - had a blowout on a brand new Civic once and instead of their customer service helping, their lawyer called me and long-story-short, they didn't replace the tire - I'm not fond of them).

Count me interested in the group buy, though.

Evo 2003.5
just to inform you.... they don't make steelies that will fit the EVO. Since the EVO can't fit a 16 inch rim and they don't make 17 inch steelies, we get raped.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by GranMassaX

just to inform you.... they don't make steelies that will fit the EVO. Since the EVO can't fit a 16 inch rim and they don't make 17 inch steelies, we get raped.
How about the steel wheels on the Non-US Evolution-8 RS - does it have a less agressive brake system that allows the placement of a smaller rim?

Although pretty cheesy looking, I'm sure they'd get the job done in nasty conditions.

At any rate, I'm looking for a cheap way to get traction this winter (and avoid using the stock rims, if I can help it). Thanks...

Evo 2003.5
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:44 AM

The link didn't work...just point your browser to:

http://gallery.evolutionm.net/showph...t=1&thecat=502

Evo 2003.5
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:45 AM
Account Disabled

Hi, All,

Let me jump in here. I can do a winter tire package in the $900-$1000 with tires. The tires will be the Toyo Observe in a 215/45-17. As many of you know the 17" size is only available from a few companies. The tires I'm offerering are on par with any tire you have mentioned. Interesteing tidbit, these tires are made with Black Walnut shells in the tire. The shells give you the xtra grip in the winter sort of like studs.

Price on the tires alone will be $135ea plus shipping. Wheels will be less expensive wheels. I have many to chose from that will fit. ( 40mm backside) If that is not right let me know. I've been informed they will fit the EVO. If you want to see some wheels go to americaneaglewheels.com and look under the FW wheels. Most wheels are in the $100 range.

If interested let me know with a PM. The tires are in the warehouse in stock now. The do have a 225/45-17 which is about $15 more but it is on backorder. I don't think you will find a better deal in the country. Thanks Todd
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:46 AM
Account Disabled

oops, almost forgot, if you buy the whole package labor and lugs are free!!
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:03 AM
CMC

Are the Toyo's you are referring to the Garit HT's?

Does Toyo make any snows in the Evo's OE size?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:09 AM
CMC

tswift,

What is your best price on Toyo Snowprox S950's in 235/45/17?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tswift
Wheels will be less expensive wheels. I have many to chose from that will fit. ( 40mm backside) If that is not right let me know. I've been informed they will fit the EVO.
You may want to read this thread and catch up regarding the limited wheel options we have right now.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=34078

If the rims you are talking about actually fit, I'd be very interested.
BTW, americaneaglewheels.com gives me some weird search engine thing. Nothing to do with rims.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.americaneaglewheel.com/

and I couldn't find anything that looked like it would work for winter use

Quick Reply: Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires