Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

General observations...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General observations...

if the US didn't come with the clear tail lights, but the JDM market did, how many of you would be on the phone ordering them because they are "JDM"...?

if the US got the shorty radio antenna and the JDM market had the longer one, how many of you would be on the phone for the long version, or be at your local VW dealer buying one...?

Sheep, i tell you, sheep...

Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:19 AM

Maybe the lights. Maybe.

The antenna? I think everyone wants it becasue the long one is, quite frankly, very ugly on a sporty car.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

the antenna has no bearing on my idea of what's "sporty"...

****, when i look at the EVO, "sporty" doesn't even come to mind...

more like, "nasty"...
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Stock USDM antenna is ugly.
Good that I bought couple S2000 antennas for my previous cars. Now it's on the EVO too.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

You make a good point. I just think people have fixation on JDM stuff whether its good or bad, or nice or ugly. People seem to always think that the JDM stuff is better. I myself sometimes find myself in this situation. When I owned my WRX, I had to replace the grill emblem with the "PINK JDM" emblem even in the back of my head I thought it was kinda gay but its JDM so I had to have it. If the JDM WRX had the black emblem and the USDM had the pink one, I would than replace it with the black one. JDM stuff just make people feel better than what they have thinkin' that it would make there cars closer to being JDM rather than USDM. What do you think people are doing in Japan? They are putting USDM parts in their cars. Ain't that ish ironic?
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

I'll grant you that the Evo is not the prettiest car on the lots, but not everyone with JDM tail lenses are sheep. I got mine because the Altezzas look too flashy, don't match the car, and conceal some of the car's lines.

With my red lenses on, the tail of my Tarmac Black flows much nicer. The lines seem to run from the side of the car around to the back, and the lights seem to be the appropriate size for the trunk. The fact that I paid $50 for shipping from the land of the rising sun doesn't make them more desirable to me. I'd just as soon purchase USDM Lancer lenses if they'd fit.

There are probably a few sheep in the crowd, but we're not all lemmings

-Josh
Old Jun 9, 2003, 02:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The Altezzas look like ***. If those came on J-spec cars, I bet the japanese guys would be asking their friends "did you order the USDM lenses? They look 100% better."
Old Jun 9, 2003, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Actually the pink emblem is what differentiates an STi from a regular WRX. The reason why you see a lot of pink badges is because people are trying to pass off their WRXes as STI's. In my neck of the woods that's a 60+ bhp and US$20,000 difference.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 04:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by atlvalet
The Altezzas look like ***. If those came on J-spec cars, I bet the japanese guys would be asking their friends "did you order the USDM lenses? They look 100% better."
As a matter of fact, the JDMs do come with clear lenses, just like the USDM model
Old Jun 9, 2003, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Crufty Dusty

As a matter of fact, the JDMs do come with clear lenses, just like the USDM model
Actually the JDM Evo 8 lends looks worse than the USDM, they actually have the orange color on the signal part of the lamp.

Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:13 AM

S2000 antennas = the win
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:45 AM

I liked the smoked CF look tail lights.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:34 PM
bs
Evolving Member

people are always looking for a way to make their car standout in the crowd. the whole JDM theme is not exactly unique but it does make a car stand out a little. silly perhaps, but people are always in search of that little something to turn peoples heads. in the case of the altezzas......well that is a legitimate aesthetic correction for most people as altezzas are not really popular with most people....especially people shopping in the 30k range who don't want to be mistaken for a ricer in a civic.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Re: General observations...

Originally posted by Diesel
if the US didn't come with the clear tail lights, but the JDM market did, how many of you would be on the phone ordering them because they are "JDM"...?

if the US got the shorty radio antenna and the JDM market had the longer one, how many of you would be on the phone for the long version, or be at your local VW dealer buying one...?

Sheep, i tell you, sheep...

Maybe if I start selling fishing bait here for a really stupid high price, and market it as a JDM delicasy...

Oh...wait... someone did that, and called it sushi!!
Old Jun 9, 2003, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by Crufty Dusty

You know what, I forgot about that. I bet there will be a lot of people getting Evo 7 tails, because the 8's look like ***. How's that?