Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

got patience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2002, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummm, people, there are far more non z06 c5 corvettes than z06 c5 corvettes. The evo could hang with any NORMAL ( read non z06) at the strip, and totally rape (well, maybe not the z06. That thing has some damn good handling for an american car...) EVERY stock c5 in the twisties. And try to keep in mind when you are talking about evos, Mitsu designed the car to well balanced. Not just have sickening acceleration or mad amounts of road holding. It has BOTH. the z06 is pretty much intended for straight line performance. Also keep in mind that the z06 costs twice as much as the evo. you wouldn't even need to put 10 grand in the evo before the z06 was brought to its knees. another 15 grand and you'll be destroying vipers. Buying a corvette is like buying a super exotic. you're buying it for the image. When you buy an evo, you buy it for the performance.

Oh, and to stay at least a lil on topic, It will definitely be worth the wait to me. I'm itching to have a car with more than 130 hp, but I'm an extremely patient person, and (with a little difficulty) will be able to wait 3-4 years for the car. I've already waited like...5. I've gotten sort of used to my stomach being tied in knots with the anticipation of having this car.

Last edited by Evoandy; Mar 23, 2002 at 09:41 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius

We do that already, dont we?
Yes we do...

Well, not as much on the technical aspects, but group buys yes, meets yes, info on latest mods yes.

Hooby
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evoandy
ummm, people, there are far more non z06 c5 corvettes than z06 c5 corvettes. The evo could hang with any NORMAL ( read non z06) at the strip, and totally rape (well, maybe not the z06. That thing has some damn good handling for an american car...) EVERY stock c5 in the twisties. And try to keep in mind when you are talking about evos, Mitsu designed the car to well balanced. Not just have sickening acceleration or mad amounts of road holding. It has BOTH. the z06 is pretty much intended for straight line performance. Also keep in mind that the z06 costs twice as much as the evo. you wouldn't even need to put 10 grand in the evo before the z06 was brought to its knees. another 15 grand and you'll be destroying vipers. Buying a corvette is like buying a super exotic. you're buying it for the image. When you buy an evo, you buy it for the performance.

Oh, and to stay at least a lil on topic, It will definitely be worth the wait to me. I'm itching to have a car with more than 130 hp, but I'm an extremely patient person, and (with a little difficulty) will be able to wait 3-4 years for the car. I've already waited like...5. I've gotten sort of used to my stomach being tied in knots with the anticipation of having this car.

Thank You! This is the very same point I was trying to make in regards to the C5.

My stomach is also tied in knots in anticipation.

Also in regards to the SSC testing of 1/4 mile in 13.6 they also mention that they were at altitude plus 90 degree heat which they considered to be less than ideal conditions.

Regards,
EJ

Last edited by 1stinline; Mar 23, 2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Hooby

Yes we do...

Well, not as much on the technical aspects, but group buys yes, meets yes, info on latest mods yes.

Hooby
I just meant when the EVO arrives I hope this board will live up to and have the support and traffic of the Supra forums, which I used to visit allot when I was in the market for a Supra. I didn't mean that it is not already providing a good service for exisating lancer owners. Sorry I probably didn't convey the message the way I meant to.

EJ
Old Mar 24, 2002, 12:05 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 1stinline
Also in regards to the SSC testing of 1/4 mile in 13.6 they also mention that they were at altitude plus 90 degree heat which they considered to be less than ideal conditions.
Exactly!
Old Mar 24, 2002, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

If u read the article on the sport compact its said that they were at high altitudes hot weather plus gravel all over the road and bad conditions. IF u asked me that's pretty dammmmmm good for all the poor conditions involved 13.6 **** try to and see what a c5 can do in those conditions. Now the real question is how good would the evo do in excellent conditions and corrected altitude. I have talked to alot of people in sinagpore japan ect ect and i've seen anywhere from 12.6 on to 13.2 on the Evo VII stock well maybe intake and exhaust but that's it. U be the judge
Old Mar 24, 2002, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 1stinline

I just meant when the EVO arrives I hope this board will live up to and have the support and traffic of the Supra forums, which I used to visit allot when I was in the market for a Supra. I didn't mean that it is not already providing a good service for exisating lancer owners. Sorry I probably didn't convey the message the way I meant to.

EJ
I understand what you meant....and I totally agree
Old Mar 24, 2002, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

I am not a Corvette lover, but you guys are a little off base thinking the C5 is such a slouch.

Car and Driver 9/99
99 C5 coupe 6 speed
13.2 @110
0-60 4.8

The EVO VII runs a good quarter much in part to its awd launch. I would hate to do a roll on with a C5 on the highway from 40 mph. I think you would be watching the C5 taillights pretty quickly.

How can you say a Corvette is a straight line car? Hell the Z06 Motortrend 2/02 pulled .99G's on stock rubber.
Weighing in at 3118 lbs. 12.48 @115.9

I agree on a tight road the EVO will beat a C5 or Z06. On a tight road the EVO will pull hard out of the corners!

SCC 11/01 tested the Japanese spec GSR EVO VII at 13.6 @100
'90 deg weather at about 1000 feet, but even in those conditions and the extra weight of the EVO VII body don't explain the large gap in acceleration times between the two cars. (EVO VI)

1000' alt is not that bad, in aviation the general rule is 2 hp / 1000' Im sure the temperature had more to do with it though.

Maybe the SCC Japanese EVO was pulling timing on the US pump gas? Wait until it looses another 10-20 hp when it comes to the US.

EVO_DAN ...even if you didnt say Mitsubishis were poorly built...I have to agree that they sure use to be! Hope things are different today but I dout its changed much. I have seen EVO VII owners posting common mitsubishi problems...warped rotors, blown clutches under 10,000 miles. Lets just hope the tranny hold together.

Still, I want an EVO as bad as everyone else here. I will be happy If I can get a 260 hp GSR for $35,000 out the door.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

It's amazing how a thread that started with one topic leads to many others
Old Mar 24, 2002, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

U need to read that scc mag again the VI was tested on a different day and track with different condition get your story straight before u start typing. That's why the numbers are far apart not because of the extra weight 80 a think. But also look at is this way the VII also added 8 lbs more torue. So i'm sure both car are in the same 1/4 mile range. Lets think about it 80 pounds doesn't almost my u a sec longer get real. Like i said go read the mag again. Again it states the the VII was tested on VERY POOR CONDITIONS
Old Mar 24, 2002, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

some people over estimate the evos performance way too much...12s in the 1/4...yah maybe with some super awesome driver who shifts faster than ferraris f1 transmission. 276 hp is not enough for 12s...considering maybe only like 230 or 240 hp is at the wheels. and jesus christ for the last time people......RWD LAUNCHES BETTER THAN AWD -THx
Old Mar 24, 2002, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

""I am not a Corvette lover, but you guys are a little off base thinking the C5 is such a slouch."

"Car and Driver 9/99
99 C5 coupe 6 speed
13.2 @110
0-60 4.8"."

.The EVO VII runs a good quarter much in part to its awd launch. I would hate to do a roll on with a C5 on the highway from 40 mph. I think you would be watching the C5 taillights pretty quickly.

I dont think a C5 is a slouch at all, but the EVO can produce similar or even better numbers from what I have seen.

This comment is very true about the 40 mph roll. The C5 has more HP so it will over take the EVO from a 40mph role. I know this is true because when I had a 300TT modded to 396hp I could take most any car I pulled up against from a roll. However my friends RX-7tt would kill me from a stop out of the whole but I would blow past him once we got up to speed. Also I raced many Eclipses AWD that from the start put several cars an me only to be blown away by me on the top end.

I don't want the EVO for top end power, I want it for low end acceleration 0-60 kind of stuff + I would be interested in road racing. That is where the EVO shines

Last edited by 1stinline; Mar 24, 2002 at 06:40 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 06:52 AM

I autocross a Z06 (my father-in-law's) and it is by far the best deal to be had in the sportscar world. He paid $46,000 (traded in the Boxster S for $39,000) and there isn't a car out there that can touch it for the money. Both of us autox it and plan to take it to the dragstrip this spring/summer. It is the best of both worlds---fast as hell and handles beautiful. I can't wait to get the Evo next year and see how it autox's (and possibly on the track.) I hope it is as fun as the Z06.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

yes the z06 is indeed ONE BAD MOTHA ****A. i was jus reading one huge *** thread comparing the z06 to the 360 modena and all the anti american car ppl were crying and denying about the z06 out performing the modena. but facts are the z06 is faster...brakes better...im not going to say it handles better BUT in hockenheim and nurburgring...the most demanding track sin the world...the z06 has faster lap times. so you put the pieces together...since most stupid ppl will say OH BUT THE FERRIARY COSTS 100K MORE SO IT MUST BE 3X AS GOOD CUZ IT COSTS 3X AS MUCH BLAHBLAHBLAHGBLAHD;KFDHF -thx
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evo penguin
for the last time people......RWD LAUNCHES BETTER THAN AWD -THx
I both agree and disagree. The only time RWD launches harder then AWD is when there is enough horsepower and grip (created by monster slicks) to create enough G force that a wheelie bar is necessary to keep contact of the front wheels to the ground. At that point AWD is useless. However whenever grip and wheel spin is an issue, AWD will always be superior. I am talking now about cars on the drag strip with street tires. As we know, more rubber making contact = more grip. Four wheels putting the power down = more grip then two wheels putting the power down. It's simple laws of physics.

Quick Reply: got patience?