Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

got patience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRONG! first yes more grip=better launch which is exactly why rwd will launch better than awd. fwd has bad acceleration because there is not that much grip to the tires. why? because when u accelerate the momentum of the car moves back putting most of the weight on the car on the rear wheels giving the rears more traction...but the rear wheels arent getting the power. this is why rwd launches better than fwd...now why rwd launches better than awd you ask? because awd the power is split between the front and rear...DUH. BUT the rear wheels is what does most of the work when accelerating so you are taking away from that acceleration by putting the power in the front...where its not as useful. the grip in the front is taken away and added to the rear tires...which is why awd is slower...its not using the full power of the engine to accelerate.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not referring to acceleration. I'm referring to the launch as you said "RWD LAUNCHES BETTER THAN AWD".
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

its the same thing...launching...the begining of acceleration...rwd launches better...thus accelerates better because all the power goes to the rear wheels where there is more grip etc etc...
Old Mar 24, 2002, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

I guess thats why 400hp porsche with AWD can out accelerate a 450hp Viper(RWD). The Porsche barely chirps a tire when it rocket away from a stop mean while the Viper is spinning the Sh*t out of the rear tires because it makes so much power its difficult to grip.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

HAHAHAH WOW NICE EXPAMPLE U JUS MADE UP AT THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD. did you actually witness this race? a 400 hp awd porsche will never beat a viper...a zo6 vette does 0-60 in jus a bit over 4 seconds...add on bigger rear tires and more hp and tourque and the viper is doing 0-60 in under 4 and running high 11's to the 996 gt2...which is the fastest porsche in north america doing 0-60 in 4 and low 12.s in 1/4 mile.

a viper would absolutely rape a porsche.

where did ppl get this crazy idea that awd is better for accelerating? 90 percent of these ppl probly never even driven an awd or a rwd car. its nto that hard to understand...rwd=100 percent engine power where the power matters most...awd=50 percent engine power where power matters most and 50 percent in front where its useless for accelreating..but yes awd will corner better

Last edited by evo penguin; Mar 24, 2002 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Not all awd cars split the power 50/50 the porsche puts more power to a wheel to make up for a wheel that is slipping. Technology at work to provide the max grip. You could put slicks on the viper and it would beat the porsche, but on stock tires the Porsche will leave the Viper in 0-60 and 1/4 mile (look it up). Why? because the Porsche is more efficient at putting power to the ground. i am not saying the Porsche will not get its *** wipped once the Vipers hooks up, but the Porsche will be more consistant.

I get your point, but RWD is not always better just because.

BTW I have an article of a late 90's 911TT doing 0-60 in 3.8 and 1/4 in 11.9 on street tires. Now, I know a viper is capable of these times and maybe even better but not on street tires.

Oh I have had both AWD and RWD. The AWD launched better. Sorry
Old Mar 24, 2002, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm.....lemme see...venom tt...0-60 2.4 low 10's int he quarter...on street tires...sure they were cheater slicks as they call it...but street lega none the less.

what your trying to argue is that awd is better because rwd tires spin because of all the power...well thats driver error there...you cant just floor the car and expect it not to spin the tires...all that you are proving is that awd is easier to launch...not better and or faster
Old Mar 24, 2002, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

RS200, 600 hp evolution engine, tube frame, AWD, 10 ever built, street legal, 0-60 under 2 sec., 1/4 in the 9's as fast as any RWD Formula 1 car in that era.

Evo penguin, you make some good points and I'm not trying to argue with you. I just don't agree with you 100%.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

ok well im nto saying that awd cars are not fast...thats a very fast car there...but its not AWD thats the determining factor that makes it fast...its the very low weight...and it could be faster with rwd...since it would be even lighter etc and everythign else i said...

theres a reason why all dragsters and nascar stock cars etc are rwd...since the better acceleration is suited for the their particular type of racing

we can say this awd car is faster than that rwd car etc back and forth but it wont prove anything since each car is different...look at these specs...bmw 330i bmw 330xi...same exact car except the xi is awd...the 330i does 0-60 in 6.4 and the xi in 6.9....half a second is a lot faster. and the only variable is rwd or awd...

ok im done...i think most ppl who actually even gone to a strip will agree that rwd cars tend to perform better...

course everyone here is rally car ***** and think awd is the best thing to happen to cars since the combustion engine
Old Mar 24, 2002, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

My good god, evo penguin... do you actually have brains, or do you just jibber out random words? Directly on launch a high power AWD will leave a high power RWD for dead. I'm talking about high power here, which means 300+. I'll also tell you why, because the RWD car does NOT have as much grip to put the power down. Now, if you're talking weak cars, then you are right, but not for high power ones. The reason for the 330iX being slower is that it has:

a) more weight through the 4WD system
b) more friction (i.e. transmission loss) through the 4WD system

Reg.

"HAHAHAH WOW NICE EXPAMPLE U JUS MADE UP AT THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD. did you actually witness this race? a 400 hp awd porsche will never beat a viper...a zo6 vette does 0-60 in jus a bit over 4 seconds...add on bigger rear tires and more hp and tourque and the viper is doing 0-60 in under 4 and running high 11's to the 996 gt2...which is the fastest porsche in north america doing 0-60 in 4 and low 12.s in 1/4 mile."

The GT2 is RWD, you muppet, I think summing up from most your postings, you should:

a) get a LOT more information about the things that you talk about
b) be less cocky with your unqualified comments until a) has been accomplished.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

No new evo rumors...at least we have something to talk about.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

This discussion got way too interesting and blown way out of proportion
Old Mar 24, 2002, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

The GT2 is also slower 0-60 than the AWD 911TT. It must be all that extra power efficiently being put to the ground by the RWD.

Oh I didn't witness the race between the 911 and the viper I just read the comparison article that came out in 97 when the 911tt went head to head with the viper for best performance car.

The 911 (3.9 o-60/ 1/4 in 11.9)
beat the Viper GTS( 0-60 4.3/1/4 in 12.2) in 0-60 and 1/4 mile
** I am pretty sure of the times I may be off by 1/10 of second**

The article went on to say in the one mile acceleration test that the 911 beat the Viper through the 1/4 mile but the Viper then blew by the 911 and put 19 car lengths on it at the end of the mile.

Viper also had the best slolom speed of 72 + mph.

Porsche won 0-100 and back to zero, The crude Viper didn't have ABS available until 2001.

*I do love the Viper though even if it is crude

Last edited by 1stinline; Mar 25, 2002 at 02:22 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think what most people are forgetting is weight plays the biggest factor in both a good launch and acceleration. Let's say you have a two 2000lb, 450hp cars. One with AWD and with RWD. The RWD is going to launch harder and accellerate quicker because of AWD drivetrain loss. Now lets compsensate for drivetrain loss with more HP. Now the AWD has 500HP (given the driveline can with stand it) and the RWD has 450. Otherwise identical cars. Who will win? I am not sure? AWD has its downsides, mainly weight, but you have the added benefit of tractions whenever you need it, no matter what the conditions.

/<

I wil take one in Blue or Sliver, for Auto-X...

PS. I am seriously debating getting a Z06 or EVO. I wonder what class the EVO will be in?
Old Mar 25, 2002, 12:27 AM

I was also wondering what autox class the evo would be put in when it gets here. I was talking to a few knowledgeable autox guys and they seemed to think that if it was 250 hp it would be put into DS (with the WRX and Type R). If it has around 280 hp, probably AS (4th gen vettes, 3000GT VR4, etc.) or BS (S2000). I tend to agree, but we will just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: got patience?