Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another one bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 09:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by Crufty Dusty
I don't mean any disrespect but it's one thing to learn about your car's limits on a closed track and quite another to do it on a public road in a residential area travelling at an obscenely high speed! People get into accidents all the time, sure I can understand that, but the state of "disrepair" of the car can only point to an extremely irrational individual at the controls.

As for the structural integrity of the car, am I the only person who's surprised that the driver was not killed instantly? If he hit the tree with the full impact I wouldn't be surprised to see the car split right in two. It's more likely the car rolled over at least once and the tree prevented it from going into someone's yard. Interestingly the bonnet appears to be virtually intact.
Hi Crusty,

Good comments, and my point, poorly stated, was exactly your first paragraph. Knowing when (track or street) is a hard lesson for some. And I'm also amazed at the wreckage. The jaws of life may have been used which can "can opener" a car.

Speedlimit....
Old Jun 9, 2003, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT IS A GOOD FREAKING LINK TO THE PAGE. I"VE TRIED FROM TWO (2) ISPS AND I GET A FOUR ZERO FOUR 404 (PAGE NOT FOUND)
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:24 PM

Stop yelling. Read back on page 2 with the new link I posted.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:59 PM

I feel sorry for the guy that did it. I hope that he is ok and learns his lesson about the way he was driving. Too bad for the passenger to be involved in this guys learning experience.

BTW, is it just me or is the parking brake on?
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Wow - in a bad way! This is a terrible accident, and the driver will probably carry this with them for the rest of their life. I'm glad no one was killed and it was a single car wreck. The pictures from the link on page 2 are dead cold.

Hope the driver fully recovers.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

do you think 2f2f played a role in it?

I do
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

WOW

there is a shoe from the impact
Attached Thumbnails Another one bites the dust...-evo.jpg  
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:07 AM

Most importantly, we can see from that picture that the timing belt is still on.

That means probably no bent valves, and most of the engine can be salvaged. Happy Day!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by S_rangeBrew
Most importantly, we can see from that picture that the timing belt is still on.

That means probably no bent valves, and most of the engine can be salvaged. Happy Day!
damn....thats some cold ****
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I don't see the timing belt.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

I rapd my millenia around a tree in december i was going around 120 when i got cut off by a CR-V with no lights on! i changed lanes and he changed lanes with me. Then i turn hard to the right and started drifting left taking the left turn perfict, pumping the brake soft and fast cuz my ABS and TCS were ****ed up, so i was looking around to make sure i was not going to hit any one when i let lose of the wheel and gay *** power steering took over and turnerd to the left and i started spinning to the left and backed up into a tree. The trunk was gone on impact with the tree, and started spinning the other way. Then hit a wall to take the hole back of the car off. I had a cam but had to hide the tape befor cops came and i had it all on tape. Thats the lesson u get for stupidity "Street Racing" in a city. im so lucky i got out of the car and walked! me and my friend only got a little dump on the head and thats it. i had to pri his door open and when i opened it the rear glass shatterd. The car was bent in half right down the middle and the sun roof was cracked! If ur going to race i realy advise u to do it on a track or atleast somewhere there isnt anything u can hit. Cuz once ur over 80 and u spinn ur going for a long ride!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! This guy was surely traveling fast, to have the impact be that devastating... You'd be surprised that when hitting a tree it doesn't really take a whole lot of speed to do a lot of damage. Who knows, by the time they "arrived" at the tree it could have been going maybe only 30mph... it's the 30-0 in 0.01 seconds that destroys the car really. From the skid mark distances I am sure the initial speed at which he lost control was much higher though... I hate hitting trees!, at least when you roll the forces are being dissipated "gradually" and well, in the rally car I am fully protected, wouldn't try that on the street!

People, just go to an autocross to learn how to drive your car. That's what I do, and I'd like to think I know how to drive a car at the limit better than most. At the autocross don't go to compete if what you want to learn is the handling... ignore your times, drift at will (being safe) and learn what unsettles the car, and how to control it. That should not be done so you can show off to your friends, but so that in case of an emergency your muscles and brain have already "been there done that" and hopefully you can survive or avoid an accident as a result.

Hope all turns out well for the driver, I am sure he is not out of danger until the extent of the internal injuries can be figured out, and all the ensuing operations completed.

Yay!

Pablo.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bluedot
Wow! This guy was surely traveling fast, to have the impact be that devastating... You'd be surprised that when hitting a tree it doesn't really take a whole lot of speed to do a lot of damage. Who knows, by the time they "arrived" at the tree it could have been going maybe only 30mph... it's the 30-0 in 0.01 seconds that destroys the car really. From the skid mark distances I am sure the initial speed at which he lost control was much higher though... I hate hitting trees!, at least when you roll the forces are being dissipated "gradually" and well, in the rally car I am fully protected, wouldn't try that on the street!

Yeah, who can really know? I'm no physics major, but I remember that there are two coefficients of friction, both sliding and static. Static friction is like the friction between a turning wheel and the pavement when you're braking. The coefficient is where the tire breaks loose and starts to slide. Now once the tire is sliding, the amount of friction from the tires decreases dramatically, it's like skidding on ice, which is why locked wheels don't stop cars well. He may have been going much faster than 30 mph even though he slid for 500 feet, which would be my intuition because trees can be pretty reslilient.

Clearly this guy is an idiot, but let's hope he pulls through so we can smack him on the head and tell him to be more careful next time (hopefully in a subaru justy or some other training car).
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

This is a nice reality check for people who drive fast.

I hope every Evolution owner has seen these pictures.

Use good judgement when driving!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by RaX
He/she must have been doing the "no look" drive...
"He did the stare and drive, didn't he? He got that from ME."

Seriously tho ... Thank GOD they both made it alive. a frickin MIRACLE the passenger WALKS away. and a MIRACLE the driver will have full use of his legs again.

And you know what? the chasis still looks pretty straight. HOW'S THAT FOR CHASIS RIGIDITY!?

-a WRX owner

Last edited by Daybreak; Jun 10, 2003 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust...